HOW MUCH CAN DOES A NAME AFFECT A GAME?

Pages: first prev 123 last
Vandriette
"The purpose of life is to end." -Agent Smith
The name of my current game used to be "Kairo". I found it to be bland and I figured it wasn't doing the job of attracting the players, so I changed it to it's current title, which I found more appealing, to be honest.

I do think the name of a game can affect how people perceive it at first glance. I know people say don't judge a book by a cover, but me personally, whenever I am looking for a physical book to read, I always look at the cover first.
it probably bears mentioning that past a certain point in a game's popularity, any title will roll comfortably off the players' tongues. hell, look at what happened with Donkey Kong. it's 2016 and everyone's saying Donkey Kong as though it's not the most ridiculous and clumsy combination of words ever. marvelous!

in terms of grabbing people's attention beforehand... I dunno! the current flavour seems to favour recognizable compound words (Undertale), but there are even some of those that I can't remember no matter how hard I try (Skyborn... if that's even its name? I keep thinking 'steam' is part of the title). I think the process of choosing a title is kind of similar to the process of settling on a logo design -- just throw as many different ideas as you can down onto a page, and feel out which of the options strikes you the best way. it'll all eventually even out in the end.
Dragnfly
Beta testers!? No, this game needs a goddamn exorcist!
author=ubon
(Skyborn... if that's even its name? I keep thinking 'steam' is part of the title).

I forget what that's called but it is an actual thing they teach in marketing and it's a vital part of how our brains remember things. If we associate a word from a title to a thing, but that thing has imagery or some quality that's similar or related to a different word, we replace the title with that word instead. Basically, we remember traits more than words and there are major studies currently going on to see if the internet era is changing that even somewhat.
Pages: first prev 123 last