2016 MISAOS (FIN)

NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
Sorry, but the title for Best Title should definitely go to Weird and Unfortunate Things Are Happening.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=NeverSilent
Sorry, but the title for Best Title should definitely go to Weird and Unfortunate Things Are Happening.

YES!
author=Kaliesto
Blackmoon Prophecy II comes out in time..I can see both those games doing very well.

Won't be this year, I've had way too many real life setbacks. I wouldn't mind snagging a 2017 Misao though.
sjmorgan
Threatening someone over a 30 day ban.
author=Superstroke
I'd like to add:

Jasei no In: The Serpent's Lust for sleeper hit.
Destiny of the Dragon Lord for best old school.
The Ledge for best Shyamalan.
and Human Sacrifice for trippiest.

Honored.
Back to Felix has one of the best graphics I have ever seen made with RPG Maker.
But because of Pocket Mirror's popularity, it will sweep all the popular categories.
You say that but you have to be signed up to the site to vote and I doubt all of tumblr is signed up here, so...

Back to Felix falls in that weird dimension of being a fangame of a youtuber which is pretty weird and probably means not many on the site would play it. It is awfully pretty though, I can definitely give it that.
True, I was contemplating if should play Back to Felix - a game that's about some over-hyped youtuber. Usually a fangame has a lot of cringe, because of all the praise and admiration. But this game even mocks on Pewdiepie a little bit, and story-vise it was completely irrelevant who exactly was the protagonist.
Vaccaria
You'd think MZ would use a dictionary for switches/variables by now?
Pocket Mirror, though not lauded by some of us, would be dragged to the top by its graphics. I've been noticing that some of us who play horror games don't usually tempt to look at the gameplay and more on alluring the crowd through story-telling and those wonderful looking graphics.

Weird and Unfortunate Things Are Happening? That's Best Title for sure.

Soma Spirits could contend with Pocket Mirror, considering that it happened to appear late-game after PM's release.

As for the demos? Not sure. Everyone's not going A-game or something (unless I didn't notice that it is their A-game)

As far as I know, the horror genre is one tough contender to be in right now because of PM's existence and some other games that would appear late-game that would rival against one another.
Blank Dream is a better horror contender. It's pretty, got replayability, no bugs and actually has good gameplay. Oh wow~ As far as I've heard PM only had pretty going for it and it was pretty badly received due to the bugs and gameplay issues.
author=KatanaHiroshi
As for the demos? Not sure. Everyone's not going A-game or something (unless I didn't notice that it is their A-game)

Hmm, there are actually a number of good demos up for nomination, namely Weird and Unfortunate Things are Happening, Revenant Gods: Ragnarok Chronicle and Remie and Lamia. One of them is my definite choice though :)
I, too, have Three Ghostly Roses for some nominations, including Sleeper Hit of the Year as it currently stands. I hope more people will give it a go.
author=Liberty
Back to Felix falls in that weird dimension of being a fangame of a youtuber which is pretty weird and probably means not many on the site would play it. It is awfully pretty though, I can definitely give it that.

author=erachimera
True, I was contemplating if should play Back to Felix - a game that's about some over-hyped youtuber.

LOL guys, I get this all the time: "But why Pewdiepie?", "Why spending all this effort on a game about Pewdiepie?.."

Did i make a horrible decision?
Nah, it's just not interesting to a lot of people. I guess people prefer made up stories about non-real characters over stories about people who already exist. At least that's my personal preference (also the reason I don't read fanfiction about real people.)
I wouldn't say it's a "horrible" decision but basing games around real people can be risky business, especially when you don't know how those peoples' lives are going to turn out 2 or 3 years down the pipeline.

One of my first projects was a terribad RM game based around a forum I go to, with most of the NPCs and enemies being named after forum members, some of whom I painted in a light that hardly reflect what kind of people they are today. Many of the people featured either moved on from that forum, got banned since then, etc. Needless to say, the game is now completely irrelevant to the community.

I'm certainly not against making games based on real people, but it's important to be aware that they have a very short shelf life and tend to age poorly.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=ptimiya
LOL guys, I get this all the time: "But why Pewdiepie?", "Why spending all this effort on a game about Pewdiepie?.."

Did i make a horrible decision?

Here, I'll translate:
"But why Thing I Don't Care About? Why aren't you making something I want?"

If you wanna do fanwork of a niche thing, do that mess, and ignore the naysayers. I did a dumb Gilbert and Sullivan fanwork and I GUARANTEE you that PDP has more of a fanbase than they do.

(IMO G&S should have a much, much larger fanbase, but whattayagonnado vOv )

tl;dr- You do you. It's not a horrible decision.
author=Liberty
Nah, it's just not interesting to a lot of people. I guess people prefer made up stories about non-real characters over stories about people who already exist. At least that's my personal preference (also the reason I don't read fanfiction about real people.)

Me too actually:)
I did it for the Pewdiepie's contest, which I'm 4 month past the deadline lol.

author=SgtMettool
I wouldn't say it's a "horrible" decision but basing games around real people can be risky business, especially when you don't know how those peoples' lives are going to turn out 2 or 3 years down the pipeline.

One of my first projects was a terribad RM game based around a forum I go to, with most of the NPCs and enemies being named after forum members, some of whom I painted in a light that hardly reflect what kind of people they are today. Many of the people featured either moved on from that forum, got banned since then, etc. Needless to say, the game is now completely irrelevant to the community.

I'm certainly not against making games based on real people, but it's important to be aware that they have a very short shelf life and tend to age poorly.

I'll definitely keep that in mind.

author=Sooz
Here, I'll translate:
"But why Thing I Don't Care About? Why aren't you making something I want?"

If you wanna do fanwork of a niche thing, do that mess, and ignore the naysayers. I did a dumb Gilbert and Sullivan fanwork and I GUARANTEE you that PDP has more of a fanbase than they do.

(IMO G&S should have a much, much larger fanbase, but whattayagonnado vOv )

tl;dr- You do you. It's not a horrible decision.

I actually believe a lot of ppl are genuine when asking why i spent so much effort doing a game about acual someone - because they probably wouldn't. Tnx for encouragement tho :)
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
It's still basically "I can't imagine someone doing a thing I don't personally care about."