THEY'RE BAAAAACK...

Pages: 1
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Remember when it was speculated that Five Nights At Freddy's 4 was going to be the final game? Well... they're baaaaack.

Five Nights at Freddy's: Sister Location

I don't know what to feel about this one. Sure, it's topical with the whole recent clowns epidemic, but it seems that the only keepsake animatronic this time is Freddy, aside from a fully compiled "The Mangle" which frankly makes no sense.
Does anyone over the age of five even get slightly raised pulse at this absolute garbage? If there ever was a shittiest-cashgrab-game competition for the "horror" genre, this would without a doubt get into the top 3.
The first game was kinda excusable, since it at least tried something new with the genre, shitty jump scares be damned, but this is just pure greed in game form, without anything even resembling creativity or passion.
Porkate42
Goes inactive at least every 2 weeks
author=SnowOwl
Does anyone over the age of five even get slightly raised pulse at this absolute garbage?

Remember kids.
If you like something popular, then you're a dumb dumb.

While I will admit that Scott keeps milking the series, getting angry at a game's release is pretty silly.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
It's a cashgrab, let's be honest. And that's cool. I would probably do the same for money. Especially after I've done all the hard work.

It's sad I've come to expect this after capcom and co. ruined Resident Evil for me.
Porkate42
To be fair.
Scott has to feed himself somehow.
author=Porkate42
author=SnowOwl
Does anyone over the age of five even get slightly raised pulse at this absolute garbage?
Remember kids.
If you like something popular, then you're a dumb dumb.
That's not really what I said.
You like it, it's not really any buisness of mine. But if you want to spend money on "popular" horror games, I can recommend alot of other, better games.

Horror thrives on the fear of the unknown. How is this supposed to be scary when it's the same monsters, in the same setting, for the fifth time. I haven't bothered playing any game after the first, but I imagine the gameplay and most of the sound is the same too. It's one thing when screaming youtube brats pretend to be scared of it, but if you're seriously scared by this, I really can't understand why.

Edit: Also, the excuse that Scott has to feed himself is laughable. He could make a new game, with new shit in it. And why the hell should we care about Scott feeding himself?
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Does the dude need to eat filleted megalodon?

He can pretty much feed himself forever and quite a few villages of starving ethiopians at this point.
I like the FNAF series. I thought the fourth was the last, but this looks cool.

Snow, I respect your opinion of not liking the games, but you've also got some pretty big misconceptions about them. They're honestly more about their story - the structure of the story and how its told is very very interesting. The vagueness of it all, while still knowing something is terribly wrong, creates a super interesting atmosphere and the story is told through very implicit ways.

It's uh... not really scary though. You're right about that. XD
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
Do people really hate these?

It's not like it's just a carbon copy every time.

It's actually a great example of how you slowly build a game company.

He's taken a concept and slowly built upon it. He's made, with very slim resources, something fun, difficult, and unique. Something with a lore people are interested in unravelling (even though it seems to have more retcons than the Wizard of Oz series)

From building on that, game after game, he's kept the same kind of gameplay, but with new concepts and challenges each time and now it looks like he's started to branch out into something different (from what I can tell from the trailer, anyway).

Honestly, he should be lauded for his efforts, schedule, and timing.
Porkate42
I probably should've mentioned that I am not a fan of the FNAF series since I don't play horror games.

author=SnowOwl Part 1
but if you're seriously scared by this, I really can't understand why.

Horror is subjective, some people will find this scary, some won't

author=Snow Owl Electric Boogaloo
It's one thing when screaming youtube brats pretend to be scared of it

Because unironic insults will make your points stronger right? Also please provide proof that it's pretend.

author=SnowOwl Part 3: The Owling
I haven't bothered playing any game after the first, but I imagine the gameplay and most of the sound is the same too.

A S S U M P T I O N S.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
I played to Night 2 of the first game and that's about enough for me. I know I'm a big pansy, but the pressure of being in the hot seat when the buzzer goes off is a lot more stressful than watching the jumpscares via gifs. Then again, I always hated board games like Operation and Perfection.

Like others, I was seriously invested in the story and the why for the whole thing. I even wrote up a long, airtight theory about how Scott might've artistically woven the story without it being necessarily chronological. Of course, this theory was utterly crushed with the release of the fourth game and I haven't had the heart to look into just about anything FNAF since then.

This series follows the "art game" approach to storytelling, with a lot of build up for actually very little when it's finally put in order. All you need to know is that some psycho killed some kids who, in turn, killed him. The Bite of 87 is a red herring and the only selling point for a sequel that was delivered on.

The fourth game has literally nothing to do with anything when confronted with the iron logic of science (Scott Cawthon is a religious man first and foremost so I don't blame him for not being caught up on his knowledge of brain anatomy), and the fifth promises more of what the second game tried to do, which is add a shiny, "family friendly" veneer to rustic character models.

I really do have to wonder if he's just putting out more FNAF merchandise to keep the series relevant while the movie gets made, all the while making some money on the side. Perhaps the cost of the movie is why he made FNAF 5 when 4 was clearly advertised as the final chapter?
Actually, interestingly enough, whilst the first three games had a lot in common with each other, the dev did switch things up and try new gameplay in each. The games evolved from a simple "Check monitors and keep the lights on" to "there's now vents, and a music box and you better get into this bear suit just in case and oh, there's a few new horrors too" to "you're a kid in a room and there's doors to check but now there's also the wardrobe and you might want to look behind you because that teddy on your bed isn't going to be friendly, oh, and let's play a little game with teddy too".

It's very similar, yes, but enough changed to keep it a fresh experience. Also, it's one of the games that does jumpscares right - jumpscares are cheap horror fodder in comparison to atmosphere and sound and the like, but they can be done well and his game actually allows you to stave off the jumpscares by giving you the tools, but it's up to you to keep them away and that's where the good design comes in. You have the tools but you also have a limited supply of time to use them so you have to make sure you don't make many mistakes whilst also taking into consideration your surroundings. You have to be on the ball at all times and that's what makes the game tense.

In the later games he even uses sound design and atmosphere to build the fear/tense/expectations up even higher, and frankly, they're good games for what they are. Do they rely on jumpscares? Yes. Is that all they rely on? No. They rely on the feeling of doing what you can and having that one mistake mess everything up. From a design standpoint they work very well.
I did watch videos of the first three games, and played the first one, and they were very similar to each other. I assumed the fourth and fifth would be exactly the same, but maybe I was wrong, then.
The 2nd and 3rd felt like they were made only to get a quick buck, and quite honestly I assumed that was the type of games that would keep coming, but if the 4th and 5th games make some changes, that's great.
I like to see the FNAF series as a quick snack to say, Silent Hill's 3 course meal. If I'm in the mood for horror, but I can't be arsed to invest an hour or two in say, Amnesia, Call of Cthulhu or Barbie Dreamhouse Party, then I'll give myself a good few 15 minutes on FNAF.

In regards to the games being good, well. I like them. I much prefer the darker, grungier feel to the 1st one over the 2nd one. But I think (and correct me if I'm wrong) but a lot of folks vehemence towards the series stems from the slavering fan base.
Pages: 1