NINTENDO SWITCH; YES, THAT'S THE NAME

Pages: first 1234 next last
Deltree
doesn't live here anymore

Impressions:

The gimmicks they employed this time at least make sense! Though the tiny baby-hand controllers might be a pain.

Graphics look about on par with the Wii U.

lol eSports.

Discuss!
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
... Did I just see Skyrim played on that thing? Is Nintendo actually ready to include more third party titles on the system?

It looks alright, but all I see so far is just older games ported to the console. I might be interested if I see something exclusive to the Switch, but so far, I'm kinda lukewarm on it.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
From the name and logo (and the fact that it's a nintendo device) I expected the controllers to be rubick's cubes that you have to reconfigure mid-attack.

Instead it's just... a super game boy that doesn't make you turn off the game before you move it to your regular game boy? That's, like... totally sane. I didn't expect it to be sane.
I'm optimistic about it. It's effectively a dedicated gaming tablet with multiple different ways to play: on a TV, as a handheld, or as a standalone screen with detachable controllers (which allows for more accessible multiplayer than having everyone bring their own unit, game, etc)

My only concern is the size. It looks way too big to fit in your pocket and there's no clamshell design to protect the screen.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=SgtMettool
My only concern is the size. It looks way too big to fit in your pocket and there's no clamshell design to protect the screen.

Yeah, this.

Other than that, looks good so far. I don't feel like "Switch" is a great name for it personally, but it could have been a lot worse, I suppose.
Deltree
doesn't live here anymore
author=SgtMettool

Cargo shorts to make a big comeback in spring 2017
Kloe
I lost my arms in a tragic chibi accident
It hasn't got a great name but it does look really cool.

I think it won't replace the 3DS, well not in my mind, but I like how it's basically a portable Wii U.
Looks convenient. Convenience wins.
And I suspect there will be pouches similar to psp or (additional) ds/3ds ones. If not I'd make myself one.

I will wait a few years and see.
My reaction:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxxajLWwzqY&t=36s

Seriously though, Nintendo keeps finding ways to smash the market open and innovate in ways that make gaming as a whole more accessible to a greater diversity of people. I love how it helps to erode the boundary between "mobile" and "console" gaming.

Any way you cut it, a bigger market for gaming means more resources for the industry as a whole. Of course, the people who are going to continue with their time old tradition of Nintendo-hating are the same who will be begrudgingly admitting that the company (once again) changed the landscape of the gaming industry with the Switch.

The fingers are going to back into my ears now.

I <3 you, Nintendo

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
It's smaller than a Galaxy Nexus 7.

I mean, so are most TVs.
author=Deltree
author=SgtMettool
Cargo shorts to make a big comeback in spring 2017

*like*

This looks wicked. I want one.

...or two.
That looks really good to me. I like the gimmick, and could see myself using that. Much better looking than the Wii U. I just hope they get some solid 3rd party support, land several 1st party titles, and make it easily accessible to indie development studios. I bet 2d games would look great on there, too.

I've been considering dropping out of console gaming, but this looks like something I would buy and fully use, unlike my PS4, which right now is only used for Dark Souls, Bloodborne and Netflix.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
Battery life of tablet device 2 hours fohohoho

I might consider buying this one.
And you thought it was bad when you just lost your TV remote!

So far I'm on the lukewarm side. I like Lockez's comparison to the Super Gameboy and I certainly wouldn't mind being able to play some of my DS games on the big screen. The size of this new handheld does worry me and the shell of my 3DS is scratched pretty good so I'm going to take a wait and see approach and see how this pans out, Especially with game support.

(Plus I bought the WiiU when it was brand new and learned my lesson: Never buy consoles on release day.)
the Wii U has been one of my favorite consoles I've ever owned.

but thank ye gods that it wasn't called the Nintendo Wii S, or Swiitch, or something equally dumb. It's just sorta bland. There will be fewer "Grandma, no. This is not an add-on for the Wii".
It's also a dog!

sorry no source, saw it on another forum and reverse-gis isn't finding it
author=kentona
the Wii U has been one of my favorite consoles I've ever owned.

but thank ye gods that it wasn't called the Nintendo Wii S, or Swiitch, or something equally dumb. It's just sorta bland. There will be fewer "Grandma, no. This is not an add-on for the Wii".

"Can we switch Switch controllers?"
"Sure, I'll switch with you."
"But we're already playing Switch."
"No, I mean..."
I hear you can make a R.O.B. robot if you assemble the Switch just right

Does this mean that Final Fantasy VII remake will come to the Switch god I hope so...
I'm excited for it. I've felt like Nintendo's been having an issue with its handheld library competing with its console library, so I'm definitely glad that the rumors about them finally merging the two markets turned out to be true. Also, CARTRIDGE MASTER RACE, MOTHA FUCKAZ!!! I've been wanting cartridges back on the home consoles for years now.

Looking forward to Mario's Mexican Mayhem and new MK8 content. Game Freak's confirmed that SOMETHING Pokemon related is coming to this, so that might be cool.

The multiplayer and controller options look promising, though probably way too small. Before the Wii U came out, people thought you would be able to sync multiple Gamepads. I'm wondering if it will be an option this time. I mean, they show local MP for the screen parts by themselves, but will this be integrated into the console mode at all?

The detactchable parts make me weep for the parents with accident-prone children, but I'm curious how the third party controller developers will use this, or if we'll see games being designed around unique controller parts.

Extra rumors claim that this will be region free and that Nintendo hired someone to write a Wii emulator for the system. Those are just rumors, for now.

e: hmm, From Software, Platinum, ArcSys... could be good, could be good...
Pages: first 1234 next last