NINTENDO SWITCH; YES, THAT'S THE NAME

Sailerius
did someone say angels
author=kaboth
Does this mean that Final Fantasy VII remake will come to the Switch god I hope so...
Its specs are comparable to a slightly improved Wii U (notice how there's choppy framerate in the trailer for its own games, and even Skyrim). FFVII is being tooled for the PS4. If it were going to come to the NS, it would have to be severely scaled back.

More likely, I'd expect World of FF and S-E's other Vita titles to be ported to it.
Zakariya
Every misdeed has its own punishment, and every good deed has its reward.
I hope the Switch's cartridges are SSD-based. Game developers may like the rather quick load times...
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
Oooh, if Vita titles were ported to it *droolz*
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
author=GreatRedSpirit
It's also a dog!

sorry no source, saw it on another forum and reverse-gis isn't finding it

Oh god, this adorable malformed dog. almost spit out my coffee
Backwards_Cowboy
owned a Vita and WiiU. I know failure
author=GreatRedSpirit
(Plus I bought the WiiU when it was brand new and learned my lesson: Never buy consoles on release day.)

Yeah, they got me too with that one. I wasn't a release day buyer, but I bought in to it once the 32GB model came out. There were a few good games, but I still can't justify it compared to the PS2 or Gamecube.

I can't say I'm really impressed with the switch. I see an iPad with controller attachments and a dedicated graphics component for gaming. Ports of games that ran on the PS3 and 360? Not interested. New Mario Kart and what might have been a Super Mario Sunshine/Mario 64 sequel? Interesting, but doesn't justify buying another $350 dollar system. The cartridge/card based format also turns me off, since any Wii/U games I have won't carry over unlike the Gamecube to Wii or Wii to WiiU compatibility.

I understand that it's more of a successor to the 3DS/XL, but ditching their console owners to focus mainly on portable seems a little wrong. I'm concerned that this is going to pull a VitaTV/PSTV and burn bright but fade fast. I'll probably sit this one out unless I can find enough games I want that are equal to or greater in cost than the system itself to justify the purchase. And games available on PC or other systems aren't counting towards that total.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Cartridges are all that matter here.
I don't really care for handhelds (can't play on them without getting headache), but if that means that in the future all Nintendo handheld games will also be playable on a TV (unlike xDS), then that's great news.
Backwards_Cowboy
With the Switch having been officially shown off during a live-stream yesterday (today in some regions), I felt it would be appropriate to revive this thread as opposed to creating a second Switch thread.

First Impressions:

• I was very impressed with the JoyCon controller, with motion controller, two controllers in one, amiibo scanning, and hand gesture recognition, as well as the dynamic rumble feature.
  • I was slightly, but not entirely, surprised by the announcement of paid internet services. Free online play was one of Nintendo's final advantages over the more powerful consoles from Sony and Microsoft.
  • The first few games shown off were disappointing. "1, 2 Switch!" turns your Switch into an expensive party game. Actual quote: "It doesn't even use the screen." "ARMS" looks like a Punch-Out!! clone, and doesn't seem like it will have much to offer content-wise for the price. After that it picked up a little, with more interesting titles being shown off.
  • The launch titles are "1, 2 Switch!", Zelda (also on Wii U), and a few third-party titles that are also available on Steam for a much lower price. All other titles announced will be released over the next two years. This makes it hard to justify buying a Switch right now, as opposed to waiting for a bigger catalog and a possible price drop.
  • Though not related to the system, the live-stream was derailed by a few guests whose wacky antics fell flat with the crowd of investors, and threw off the live translators, leading to a lot of awkward silence. Investors were not impressed, and Nintendo stock dropped, though is still higher than it was at this time a year or two ago.
  • No region locking. We did it, mom.

While the controllers are impressive, the battery life of the system is 2.5 - 6 hours, making it the shortest battery life of a handheld console since I think the early 2000's or late 1990's when Sega was still in the console market. I can't say I'm too motivated to buy one right now. I'm thinking I'll do what I did with the Wii U: wait for the price to drop and a better selection of games to arrive (Mario Kart 8 pushed me to buy back then), or some incentives (Wii U was Digital Deluxe package with cash back on digital purchases, plus a free game when registering MK8). At this point in time, the PS4 and XB1 frequently go on sale for $249.99 or less in bundles, so $299.99 for a new console operating nearly a generation behind with no game catalog seems a little much right now. Hell, I could upgrade my phone to one of those gaming-capable tablet-sized abominations right now for less than that.

Anybody else watch it or read about it after? Thoughts?
Mario Kart 8 finally has BATTLE ARENAS.
Backwards_Cowboy
author=kentona
Mario Kart 8 finally has BATTLE ARENAS.

I only hope that they add them to the Wii U version as either a free update or cheap DLC. I mean, I'm not too keen on paying another $59.99 for the same game with an altered battle mode after buying a new console, unless we're also looking at an additional 16 or 32 courses with it. If they really want to spoil us, they'll include all the old tracks, since a solid 50%-60% of them have been remade in full 3D within the past ten years.
I heard that there's an additional 16 courses.
Zakariya
Every misdeed has its own punishment, and every good deed has its reward.
author=Backwards_Cowboy
Anybody else watch it or read about it after? Thoughts?

After seeing just how many launch-models of game consoles were suffering from hardware failure within recent generations, I'd suggest that everyone wait at least a few months until getting their Nintendo Switch units. Give Nintendo some time to perfect how the GPU is built.

Believe me, your patience will reward you and your financial life for it.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
I can't wait to pay every month for the worst online service I've ever used.
Backwards_Cowboy
author=Sailerius

I'd definitely agree with you there. Considering how limited all previous iterations of eShop/Wii Shop Channel have been, how MiiVerse turned into eHarmony for anonymous children, and how several games on the DS, 3DS, and Wii/U lagged when playing online (much less on the Wii U than the others, but still), I'm not particularly pumped for that aspect of it.

Maybe charging for it will actually lead to better connectivity, since the servers will be less of a drain on the corporate wallet and possibly even zero their own costs out.

But wait! If you buy now, you get six months free until they roll out the payment plans in the fall!
I didn’t realize that the Switch presentation was yesterday. I WAS going to plan on watching it that evening, but I think it was supposed to be on at around 2 A.M. over on my side, and I was just too tired after work to give much of a damn about it then. But I did watch some of the highlights and read up on most of it today.

First off, the battery life. Although not as bad for someone like me who only has a few hours to play video games nowadays, it is a bit disappointing. Only 2.5 - 6 hours in this day and age? You gotta be kiddin’ me! Hopefully this thing charges pretty fast when you put it back in the dock, but still - man that’s bad.

I only found out about the paid Internet service just a little while ago, and I’m little so-so about the whole thing. I guess Nintendo had to do it eventually, just like with Sony and Microsoft, but the online service better be a lot better if they plan on getting any of my money for it. No more sudden disconnects during matches or slow as balls lag if I happen to go online and play against somebody anymore (except the odd time’s, that's fine). If the online is good and the price isn’t too bad for it, like $5 or $10 a month, or something like that, then that’s not too bad, I guess.

Games wise, there were definitely some that caught my eye, like Super Mario Odyssey, Sonic Mania, The Legend Of Zelda, and, of course, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, since I skipped out on buying it for the Wii U because there was no battle mode in it. And, I dunno about you, but a Mario Kart game isn’t a proper Mario Kart game without a freakin’ battle mode in it – so I’ll get that.

The pricing for the console itself was fine. And it was nice to see even Bomberman back in a game again. (Does this mean that he’s going to be Super Smash Bros. now?)

Overall, I’m pretty lukewarm about the whole thing. I’m little interested in it, but I’ll definitely wait a while, probably summer, to pick one up until more of the games that I’m looking for start coming out for it.

EDIT: Was there any news about the Virtual Console at all at the presentation and what games might be on it at launch? I’m hoping that they just port everything that they have so far from the Wii and Wii U and make it available at launch instead of re-releasing them all again from scratch. I hate when they did that for the Wii U.

And I’m actually a little surprised that they didn’t announce a Switch port for Star Fox Zero, Super Mario Maker or even Super Smash Bros. for Wii U despite rumors. *sigh* Oh well.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Dude, minimum 2.5 hours of battery life sounds great. There aren't many laptops that get that kind of battery life when you play games on them, mine only goes for about an hour with games running. My cell phone can play FF Record Keeper or Hearthstone for about 45 minutes. The 3DS might run for 2.5 hours if you turn the sound and the 3D off.

I'm assuming that battery life is if you're using it as a handheld console, right? If you're using it just as a controller I'm sure it lasts for weeks.
http://nintendoeverything.com/no-new-race-tracks-in-mario-kart-8-deluxe/
Apparently there aren't any new tracks for Deluxe (just the ones in the DLC are included in the Deluxe game now). The lack of a battle arena in the Wii U game was a real head-scratcher.

I am not going to be a Day 1 buyer of this (I have a Wii U, and it will suffice!), but it might end up as a Christmas present. Depends on how I feel the console itself will hold up against a 5yo and 8yo. Plus, at $399.99 CAD, it's a little pricey!

E:
also, pre-orders have sold out, so I'd be out of luck atm anyway.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I'll buy it if the Zelda game is good. Right now the Zelda game looks okayish. Spla2n can bite me, Mario Kart would require me to have friends, and I have no interest in a version of Skyrim that doesn't have five years worth of mods. It's not exactly a great starting lineup, but even a mediocre Zelda game is already better than the PS4 or Xbox One's starting lineup, I guess.
author=Sailerius

AMEN. I'm a huge nintendo fan but their idea of 'online' is atrocious. I really like how innovative nintendo with their consoles but i wish they'd get the basic stuff right.

anyways, idk if anyone mentioned this but there's a Fire Emblem direct for Wednesday. Definitely gonna see some Fire Emblem Warriors news but also hopefully they'll talk about the FE Mobile Game too.

also the switchdog is so cute!

I have never paid for an online service for a console before. Why would I? What do they do?