MV VS 2003 FOR 16-BIT AESTHETIC

Pages: first prev 12 last
author=Thighbone
If you don't mind me asking, how do you run in canvas mode?

Because it's easier:
https://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/778/locker/CanvasMode.js
Its because now RMMV is running on webgl and not directly on pc memory. If your video card is really bad then you need to run MV in canvas mode.

I don't know why it doesn't just have pure OpenGL on PCs. Hell, we've been emulating 2D scanline graphics smoothly since the early 2000s on CPUs (ZSNES FTW). The idea your video card isn't "good" enough to run a 2D game is downright silly.
Magi
Resident Terrapin
somewhere out there, is a person trying to run their modern PC on an old diamond viper
Out of curiousity, why hasn't RMVX Ace been brought up more in this thread? I know MV is the newest, but doesn't RMMV use some sort of wonky resolution that makes just scaling up old graphics really tricky?

I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THIS PLEASE BE GENTLE
If it's just upscaling 16x16 then no. The scaling comes from Ace->MV: Ace's innate tile resolution is 32x32 while MV's is 48x48. VX/Ace->MV scaling is wonky since it's 32->48 and there's no whole number scaling you can do between the two.

e: Kinda misread the question but I'll leave it as-is since it still ends up answering it anyways.
Also

They haven't made computers with 2 GB of ram in over a decade... that's not even enough to run Windows 7 by itself with no programs. Even if you had Windows XP, that's not enough to run the computer with antivirus software as the only program installed on your computer.

2GB of RAM totally is enough to run Windows 7 and a whole ton of programs at once. For a few years, I used to use that Acer AOD250 netbook with 2GB of RAM and a 1.6Ghz ish 2-core Intel ATOM CPU. I would be listening to youtube, developing games, playing games/emulators all at once just fine while staying under the limit.

...It's all 2D graphics, a windows 98 computer could handle any of the rpg makers without issue. Stop spreading misinformation, you're causing new people to use the older makers, which is something that they should absolutely never consider.

You're going to be lucky if RPG Maker MV even boots on a 1998 era machine let alone run above 1 FPS.
author=GreatRedSpirit
e: Kinda misread the question but I'll leave it as-is since it still ends up answering it anyways.

This answered my question entirely!

Does the 3x upscale have additional unusual side effects? I think Magi mentioned some of them earlier, but, like... wouldn't the sprites glide around like crazy? I mean, sure, the sprites are scaled, but their animation is still pixel by pixel, and they'd need three times as many pixels to get to where they were going (assuming they're moving in full squares).

Also, LockeZ, my old desktop has 3.2GBs of RAM and runs everything up to about 2013 fine. Windows 7 32-bit could only use 4gbs of RAM max (although practically it was always less than this), so I'm not sure in what crazy world you'd think 2GBs of RAM isn't enough to run the operating system. A very crazy world, I presume.
The sprites do glide, I would assume, but it's incredibly difficult to tell. I've never been able to see any gliding. I would say as long as they don't end up covering half a pixel or something at the end of their animation, no one's going to notice.
I have any old 2002 pc under my bed with 512 Ram that can run Xp just fine (its really slow but it works well enough).
The sprites do glide, I would assume, but it's incredibly difficult to tell. I've never been able to see any gliding. I would say as long as they don't end up covering half a pixel or something at the end of their animation, no one's going to notice.

I've always noticed the glide since RPG Maker XP. The other problem is text will clash resolutions. You can try to use a purposefully blocky text but it wont be properly aligned to the screen. If you were using something like FreeType to render regular fonts, you can render them to a smaller buffer and then scale that up and align it to the pixels. The screen scroll position itself can be caught in a sub-pixel position too in some instances.

The game engine has to cut all sprite positions down to the logical size its pretending to have for everything to line up properly. RPG Maker 2003 simply had a low native resolution and it would just stretch the surface to the window.

When you use something like DirectX or OpenGL to draw 2D stuff and you want an authentic look, you'd convert your coordinates into the small integers and make sure the texture filters are set to nearest neighbor. Some games go even further and have post processes that try to emulate scanlines and other analog monitor artifacts.
Maybe I just have bad eyes then. For the text, though, I recently learned about the Victor Engine sfont plugin, which you can use to create a font that doesn't get anti-aliased. It's really neat.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Kaempfer
Also, LockeZ, my old desktop has 3.2GBs of RAM and runs everything up to about 2013 fine. Windows 7 32-bit could only use 4gbs of RAM max (although practically it was always less than this), so I'm not sure in what crazy world you'd think 2GBs of RAM isn't enough to run the operating system. A very crazy world, I presume.
Windows 7 says right on the box that it requires 1 GB of RAM for 32-bit mode, 2 GB for 64-bit mode, and an extra 1 GB on top of that if you ever need to run programs in Windows XP compatibility mode (hint: you need to do so for RPG Maker 2003).

But that's what it requires with no software. Basic programs have changed a lot since 2009, and simply running a browser with Flash Player and Adobe Reader support, a basic antivirus program, and either Dropbox or Google Drive now requires a bare minimum of 1 GB of extra RAM on top of whatever your operating system needs to function smoothly (possibly more depending on your antivirus program). Antivirus software and a modern browser are distributed to Windows 7 computers by Windows Update, so we can count those as part of the OS now. So now we're up to nearly 3 GB minimum just for a functional operating system, before you even start playing the game. How much RAM does the game use?

This wasn't the case when the OS was released - those kinds of basic programs were vastly less resource intensive seven years ago. It was also far less common for programs to have auto-updaters that ran every 15 seconds in the background. And websites themselves were also less resource-intensive because they didn't use such heavy scripting to create dynamic pages - check how much RAM your browser uses if you leave three Wowhead or Youtube tabs open for half an hour. As a result, many low-end computers that were sold with Windows 7 pre-installed on them simply no longer work properly. You can still technically use them, but they make you want to set your desk on fire.
Windows 7 says right on the box

OK, I just imagined three years of my life then.
(edit: I said the same thing as Kaempfer so I thought you were answering me, but running a ton of shit all at once on my netbook on win7 is still demonstrable)

This wasn't the case when the OS was released - those kinds of basic programs were vastly less resource intensive seven years ago.

You're the expert
Magi
Resident Terrapin
The paging file/swap space exists exactly for dinosaur rigs like Kaempfer's old machine. Not everything currently loaded into memory is doing anything and when the physical ram is fully preoccupied, lower priority tasks are moved into the pagefile.

It is not nearly as fast as reading directly from ram, but is sufficient enough that manufacturers are still getting away with selling budget Win10 laptops with only 2GB of memory inside.

If people are using the GDI supported release of 2k3, it will run without issue on modern machines and require no compromises to achieve a more authentic aesthetic.
author=Thighbone
If you don't mind me asking, how do you run in canvas mode?

Well, I don't know if there's any other method but I just use this code
SceneManager.preferableRendererType = function() { return 'canvas'; };

Open your notepad, paste that into it, save it as force_canvas (or whatever) with .js extension, and just add it as a plugin.

MV also runs better for me than any other RM, not in the editor, but in game. The editor is sloppy af, but I just roll with it. In-game it's a lot better tho. Both on WebGL and Canvas mode.

There's no objective reason to choose RM2K3 instead of newer engines, specially MV. So if you choose to use RM2K3 (which is totally fine) it's because you like it, or it's nostalgic to you, or whatever personal reason, but in comparison MV crushes any other RM engine.

Edit: wtf so many answers while I was writing hahaha.
Looking at timestamps, I think you just missed the whole of page 2 unless it took you about a week to type up that reply!
Woops, didn't pay attention to the timestamps, they're so small I didn't realize. Welp, let's pretend I didn't say anything 8D
No, don't pretend you didn't say anything. Without you saying something I would never have known how to do it!
Wait I just realized you meant about the second page of comments. Pretend I didn't say anything.
Pages: first prev 12 last