MARREND PLAYS SUIKODEN 3!

Pages: first 123 next last
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Welcome, one and all, to my first attempt at a Let's Play! This thread's feature game is none other than...

Photo obtained via Wikipedia

...Suikoden 3! I kinda have mixed feelings about this game. Like, I love how the game's story switches perspectives (even if that means going over the same territory multiple, multiple times), and the skill system was a great addition. However, I felt combat was a little too oversimplified, and the way engagements of war battles resolve fell flat, as they are a simplified version of the combat engine.

As an aside, this should be a fairly regular (for me) playthrough. The only challenge I'm giving myself is to obtain the 108 Star Bonus. As this would be my first Let's Play (written or otherwise), I will be receptive to any and all feedback and comments!

Table of Contents
Session 0: What's in a name?
  • Hugo Chapter 1
Session 1: Departure to Vinay Del Zexen Duck Village
Session 2: Saint Loa Knights, ASSEMBLE!
Session 3: Zexen "hospitality"
  • Chris Chapter 1
Session 4: Of treaties and betrayal
Session 5: A Captain in both name and reputation
  • Geddoe Chapter 1
Session 6: Happenings at the Hallow
Session 7: Oh crap, we're officially Suiko-screwed!
Session 8: Hike it to Caleria!
  • Chris Chapter 2
Session 9: East North Frontage Street
Session 10: Ixnay on the Iksay
  • Hugo Chapter 2
Session 11: Tinto Trio
  • Geddoe Chapter 2
Session 12: Mantor Rider! Buuuurgllleeeer!
  • Geddoe Chapter 3
Session 13: Double dose of Geddoe!
  • Hugo Chapter 3
Session 14: Where Hugo finally gets Suiko-screwed!
Session 15: Chisha, plus a few more stars
Session 16: Around the world map in eighty days two hours
  • Chris Chapter 3
Session 17: The Battle of Chisha Village
Session 18: Sacrifice of the Alma Kinan
  • Thomas Chapter 1
Session 19: Thomas, Event-Hunter Extraordinaire
Session 20: The Tenkai Star recruits!!!
  • Thomas Chapter 2
Session 21: Liberation of Budehuc Arual Castle
  • Chapter 4
Session 22: The New Alliance of Free Stars Zexen and Grasslands
Session 23: 'Bout time I got that Blinking Mirror!
Session 24: A "family heirloom" gets passed on
  • Chapter 5
Session 25: Geddoe and Le Buque, part 2
Session 26: Between Water and Fire I constantly travel. A simple clue to unravel.
Session 27: Coup De Gras
  • Green Bishop Chapter 1
Session 28: All aboard the Plot Train!
Marrend
Let's get this party started! After the opening FMV...

..I select "New Game". Like all the games before it, Suikoden 3 begins by naming the Tenkai Star. Well, that's not entirely true in this game's case. Here, we get to name the Flame Champion.

What's in a name, anyway?

Now, I have no idea if there is an "official" name for this guy, like there is for Suikoden (Tir) or Suikoden 2 (Riou). For what it's worth, I usually call this guy "Regor" because I'm bad at names, but, I figure it might be nice to get some opinions here.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Cool! Another written LP! Looking forward to seeing where you go with this!

Now, being a random person on the internet, I feel legally obligated to suggest a stupid name, like Dumbface or Buttchomper, or something that could make a funny sentence, like what the Game Grumps did with Pokemon.

However, I'm just gonna go with the general, "You do you," response and hopefully someone else will suggest something better.
Marrend
Thanks for stopping by, Red_Nova! Reading your bare-handed challenge with Dark Souls 2 was something of an inspiration for this. Though, I'm not aiming for a particular challenge (outside of recruiting the 108 Stars) and use lots and lots of Stat Stones with this.
Kentona. The O is for original flame champion.

Honestly do you. Regor isn't a bad sounding name for a flame champion, though if it were me the closest name I'd choose is ragnar. My official demonlord name, drathul, could work as well.
Marrend
Hrm. I think the joke with naming him Kentona would be "The A is for ABSCONDING THE TRUE PLOT RUNE", buuuuut, I could be wrong on that point!

*Edit: The next update might take a bit, regardless of what the name of yea olde Flame Champion is. I'm going into Hugo's Chapter 1 first, but, there's going to be at least one entire gaming session behind the scenes devoted to spawning, and using, Stat Stones on Hugo's party.

No, I was not actually kidding about using lots and lots of Stat Stones!
Ah, Suikoden 3. I like the game but goddamn if there ain't a lot of backtracking in it. It can get a little repetitive after a while, but the story, characters and design are really well done. I'm also LPing this some time in the future, but first will be 1 and 2.

I'll be watching this, uh, page~
Marrend
That didn't take as long as I thought.

So, yes, I did name the Flame Champion "Regor". On with Hugo's Chapter 1! There is a bit of a small prologue before we get there, though. Nothing big, and I didn't screenshot any of it.

However, Hugo's Chapter 1 starts off with our main man and Sergent Joe walking in to the Kayara Chief's house, looking for some grubs. They meet Lulu there, and Lucia mentions that she wants to have a talk with Hugo after they are done. The scene cuts to an external shot, with a bit more commentary, and eventually we finally get control of Hugo's party!

The game tells us to go to Lulu's house, bit doesn't really say where that is. No matter! I take this opportunity to abuse Stat Stones. I also make use of the local blacksmith, armorer, general store, and skill-trainer to maximize my equipment and mess with skills a bit.

The party finds their way to Lulu's house near the entrance to Kayara Village, where we find Jimba polishing off some armor. There's a bit more commentary here, but, we get our mission from Lucia: go to Vinay Del Zexen as a representative of the Kayara Clan to delver a message. There is an additional opportunity to mess around after this scene is done, but, I did everything before hand.

Next morning comes about, and we get a little farewell party with one of the most heartwarming scenes ever...

Daaaaawwww!

...followed closely by Luce saying the same thing, but giving her son a very painful bear hug...

Lemme gooooo!

...a very painful bear hug.

However, in true RPG fashion, we don't go to the Zexen capital right away. Heavens, no! We make a stop by Duck Village to mess with Runes a bit, and have Hugo learn Fire Magic from the tutor there. We inevitably get into fights...

Never stood a chance

...which levels my characters. This is important because Max MP (out of a lack of a better term) is based off of a character's MGC stat, and the effects of the Stat Stones are not seen in this respect until a character levels up.

Hugo's stat-sheet after Duck Village

*Edit: Have a few cool Suiko-tunes of the towns featured in this session, courtesy of YouTube!

Marrend
Fair warning, I screwed up on uploading the images, so, a hard-refresh might be in order.

Anyway, this session, I have Hugo's party make their way to Vinay Del Zexey. From Duck Village, this means crossing two encounter-areas, and going through Brass Castle.

Hugo can meet with a few potential recruits in Brass Castle...

Gagetter's looking for a screw.

The beautiful (and equally mysterious), Jeane!

...but cannot actually recruit at this time. In fact, I don't think he recruits proper until Chapter 3? It's a travisty, I tell you.

Anyway, between Belle and Jeane, Hugo has a little run-in with Lady Chris...

...but eventually move on to the next encounter-area. They meat additional nasties there, and have a run-in with...

...members of the Maximillian Knights. Poor Rico!

The party finally arrives at Vinay Del Zenay! I take the road that leads to the Lightfellow mansion to drop of a pentacle that Jimba gave us before we left. I had Hugo not ask for anything in recompense, then he manages to recall to tell the bulter that the warrior that owned the object died a heroic death. Next was the Zexen Council building. Of course, they won't even give me the time of day. The say to wait "2 to 3 days" before they even see me.

I already did a spell of exploration of the town, but, I still hop on over to the inn to rest up and save. I find/see a number of potential recruits on the way (I can't screenshot all of them, can I?) and talked to them anyway, despite not being able to recruit them.

Next up, I hop on over to an argument between a shifty-looking guy and some angry-looking kid. Apparently, they are arguing about a ship the kid's father found. The kid runs off, swearing he'll find proof his father's not a liar. Hrmmmm...

We move to where most of the shops are, and find a girl that seems to be looking for someone. A boy walks up, and is apologetic about being late...

...twice, because he said it wrong the first time. We follow them to their hideout, and speak the password "The Three Knights of Zexen" that we chanced to overhear. At first, they think we're here to take over their "castle". However, after Melville arrives, and talks more about the argument we saw and his father, we decide to help them out with finding the ship.

Of course, we take the time to equip armor, sharpen weapons, aaaaand abuse Stat Stones on both Melville and Alanis. Whew!

Also, as long as I'm getting tunes from Youtube, and it's a crazy-cool song, Bine Del Zecks:

Marrend
The party leaves the Zexen capital, and we spot the appropriately named North Cavern on the overworld map. There's a little cutscene before we get to delve the depths, but, who cares, let's go Uchioniko!

We don't get too far in before Elliot complains. There's no arguing with the guy, and Lulu's agreeing with him. The party takes a snooze. Well, they try, but, Hugo can't sleep, and neither can Alanis. They have a small chat...

A merchant's life is sometimes rough. A daughter of a merchant's life, though...

...and we go on our merry way after poking fun at the very much still-asleep Lulu. We eventually come across a trio of bandits. That happen to speak in rhyme. Innnteresting. We follow them further into the cavern in deep curiosity as to who they are taking orders from.

Cute. Veeeery cute.

Oh, uh, I guess we fight them now. So, after we deal with these guys, it seems like a straight-away to where the ship might be. "Seems" being the operative term, as Guillaume throws a switch to lock Hugo, Lulu, and Sgt. Joe behind a gate! He then goes to reveal the fact that he's been using the bandits to steal from merchants that he then sells right back on the market! This place was his storehouse, and he couldn't have people nosing about! His bandit friends appear in front of Hugo and his group (I thought we had them tied?), and they attack! We show no mercy to these guys, and they flee for good. However, the Saint Loa Knights are still on the other side of the gate! Melville challenges Guillaume, and a duel commences!

I grabbed a screenshot of this duel, but it's not an interesting duel. Melville can't seem to win at all, even after abusing saved states to get the upper hand each time. From what I'm noticing, Guillaume's life bar does not drop after taking his first hit. He was using the "Defend" action quite a bit, but, even a properly executed "Deathblow" produced no additional results! So, Melville ultimately looses. Oh, well! However, during the duel, Alanis and Elliot have worked the lever. Upon facing the wrath of three more experienced warriors, Guillaume turns tail and flees. Not soon after, we find the ship that Melville's father was talking about!

Hey, what's that castle right next to it?

After that, the game whisks out of of the dungeon, and there's not much left to do but go back to Vinay Del Zexay. There, we get a touching scene...

The silly poses make this scene even cuter.

...where the Three Knights of Zexen part ways.

Well, anyway, that's done and over with. I guess it's high-time to see if the Zexen Council will see us. Yeah, right.

The party is allowed into the building without too much extra fuss, but still wait around for a representative of the Council to come by to relay the message. There is an attempt to point out that we're to deliver the message to the Council directly. However, the guy insists that the Council is busy, not just with matters of the Grasslands, but in territories well outside it's reach. Yeah, "busy" my foot.

Begrudgingly, we hand over the message. The party has had their fill of Zexen "hospitality". Time to return home, but a rest at the inn seems in order.

That night, the party talks a bit about what they've seen, and Hugo hears a noise from outside. Zexen soldiers? Uh-oh. That's not a good sign! They tell the innkeeper they want the Grasslanders to answer a few questions, but, I don't know. I don't like the smell of the situation, and Hugo and company don't like it either! They high-tail it as far as the marketplace by the inn, take a breather, and I have them continue to the Council Hall screen. Maybe not the smartest idea, as they party comes across four guards. Hugo figures they aren't there to chat, and a fight ensues!

I beat them pretty handily, and try to double-back to take a different route. No dice. Sgt. Joe redirects me back to where I just came from. Welp, I guess we're locked into going right across the road that leads up to the bloody Zexen Council Hall. We get into one more fight before we see Leo and Percival blocking off the front gate. I'm smelling another fight.

Close! What happens is that Fubar comes in, and breaks their formation. We escape in the ensuing chaos. However, we're fugitives on the loose as far as Zexen is concerned. Going through Zexen Forest wasn't a big problem, but, getting through Brass Castle?

While the fort doesn't appear to be ready for battle, the party errs on the side of caution, and tells Fubar to wait for them on other side of the fort. With a bit of luck, they can get through the checkpoint up ahead unnoticed. Though, now that I think on it, I stop by the tutor here to improve Hugo's Fire Magic to "C" so that the Fire Rune he bears might actually be useful.

When we approach the checkpoint, Lulu gets a little nervous. Sgt. Joe give him a not-so-friendly nudge, and tells him to cool off. Not shortly after that, Leo and Percival come up from the west entrance on horseback, talking about how they lost the party. A guy stuck in the queue is like, "Oh, are you Sir Leo and Sir Percival?", and while looking back to answer, Leo notices the party! UH-OH! Let's get outta here!

The game doesn't show the player where the party hides, but, Percival makes a comment about never having chased anybody so fast. When the two knights leave, the party falls from a roof of what looks like a fireplace? Not sure what's up with that, but, they fall through a trap door and end up in a tunnel below Brass Castle.

The path to the other side takes about three screens, and I get into about one fight per screen. Not bad. There is some question among the party as to whither or not the door they found actually leads to the eastern exit of Brass Castle, but, Fubar's appearance gives them all the answer they need. Sgt. Joe's feeling uneasy about the situation (can't blame the duck), so, we hurry off to Plain Amur.

The sky is getting dark with the coming evening. On the next screen, we see something that looks like smoke on the horizon. It looks like it's coming from Kayara Village! Sgt. Joe asks us to be on guard, then we may proceed to approach the village. Let's stop by the handy-dandy save-point before we rush in like idiots, though!

Upon closer inspection, the party confirms that, yes, Kayara Village is burning. Lulu strikes out ahead, and Sgt. Joe goes after him, yelling him to stop and wait for the rest of the party. Hugo, meanwhile, wonders about the message he sent. Was his journey all for nothing?

A bit further up the path is a fallen Kayaran villager. Sgt. Joe is there, and mentions that the wound was done by a sword, and to be cautious ahead. He runs forward, still trying to catch up with Lulu. A bit further in, and who do we see at the entrance, but Lady Chris, acting Captain of the Zexen Knights? She, who undoubtedly ordered this massacre?

Lulu finds her first, and goes in for the kill. Chris moves to defend herself, and in one swift stroke, Lulu dies. I cannot stress this enough. There is no possibility of resurrection, here. Of course, Hugo and the rest are there to see it. There is only one question in Hugo's mind right now.

While I'm sure there's about 108 reasons for why Chris did what she did, the only thing she can do is apologize. It is a wasted effort, and it's only thanks to Salome and Roland's arrival that Sgt. Joe stops Hugo from meeting the same fate as Lulu. Besides, there has been enough death for today.

The next day dawns, and Sgt. Joe finishes Lulu's grave. He notes that the proper burial rites ought to be observed, but, the spirits will have to forgive them in this instance. He talks some sense into the moping Hugo. The camera pans outward, fades to black, and Hugo's first chapter comes to an end.

Darigaaz, that was just one chapter.
The only issue with seeing the game in a screenshot/written format is that you don't get to see the little gestures that the characters make when they move. Despite the fact that the game uses old-school 3D models and they're quite clunky, there are just so many small movements added to them that add a ton of character and emotion. It's one thing the Suikoden games really do well when it comes to fleshing out their characters - they know they've got a too-big cast so they make movements in and out of battle add to the personality of your party. V is the best at this, but 3 and 2 both did really well in that aspect too.
Marrend
I'm doing what I can in regards to the screenshots, and I'm enjoying the game more for the sharing!
Marrend
Ever wonder what Hugo's Chapter 1 would look like from the Zexen side? Well, Suikoden 3 lets us do just that though Chris's Chapter 1!

So, Chris starts off by being summoned by the Council of Doom Zexen right after she returned home from a campaign. Apparently, they want her to meet with the Elders of the six Grassland Clans. They sometimes refer to the Grassland Clans as "barbarians", so, that give us some insight as to how much esteem they hold them in (ie: none at all).

She agrees to their request, yet seems to leave with a heavy heart. Just after she leaves, the Council speak among themselves...

...and it kinda sounds to me that like they want this treaty to fail, and have Chris killed when (not "if", but "when") the negotiations sour to such a state that a full-blown battle ensues. Perhaps to use her "heroic death" as an "outrage" against the "barbarians" so that the people will petition the Council wipe the Clans for good? Then, just move into all that now-open territory. Though, this is purely speculation on my part.

Anyway, Salome and Borus see Chris to her house, then we finally get control. The first thing one will notice is that, as a noble, Chris is loaded with potch: she starts with 200,000! One also notes she has no inventory whatsoever. On one hand, we were going to replace whatever she had with Stat Stones anyway, but, she's by herself right now. It's not really in my best interest to abuse Stat Stones, but, it might behoove me to advance a little bit into this game's plot.

After a brief rest, Chris, Borus, Roland, and Louis await Salome at the main gate. There's a bit of jest concerning Solome taking a liking to Lady Chris, which she finds most distasteful. After that foolishness has resolved, Chris orders Leo and Percival behind. Note that these are the two that were chasing Hugo after he deals with Melville and his crew. However, this event gives us a party, and thus, and more appropriate opportunity to abuse Stat Stones.

Once that is done, I hop back into town to sharpen weapons to max (I'm pretty surprised that they could be worked on!), then shove off. The overworld map has the route to the meeting-place going only as far as Brass Castle for now, but, we take some time in Zexen Forest to fight some fools. Not enough to level, since this party of actual Zexen Knights is pretty well-leveled to begin with. Also, the fact that this party is on horseback means that we travel a lot quicker, and is not particularly conducive to derping around.

Once in Brass Castle, we get a familiar-looking scene involving Hugo's party! There's a bit of an exchange between Roland and Chris after they clear the room, with a suggestion that Chris should be more assertive. She does lead the Zexen Knights after all. If not in name, than by reputation. Eventually, we are dropped off in Chris' quarters in Brass Castle. This is an area Hugo never had proper access to, so, I do a bit of exploring. There's a trainer, a storage house, and an inn here that Chris may access. I use the inn, but, I don't feel a need to use the other services here at this time.

I decided to explore the east side of Brass Castle. None of the services are available, but, there is a bit of a dizzy at the gate. Boris is conversing arguing with a Lizardfolk. Apparently, he wishes to see the "leader of the Zexen Knights". Chris is adamant about how the position is unfilled, but, she will receive the message instead. Dupa doesn't quite believe her, and wonders aloud if Chris is, indeed, the "she-devil" that their Clan has faced. This almost sets off Borus again. Chris moves in front of him to stave him off, and suggests that if he doesn't believe her, to leave in peace. He decides to believe her, and relays the message...

...whatever that translates to! There is a prompt to ask Salome what that means, but, he translates it regardless of the answer Chris gives, with Borus as the back-up. In short, it means that there's an event at the Amur Plains, and we should do our best to avoid it like the plague get there. After this resolves, the place becomes it's lively self again, shops and all! Chris is still on her lonesome, so, there isn't all that much we can do. Though, now that I think on it, I go visit the tutor to acquire Water Magic, and make it rank "D". I know Chris doesn't have an available Rune slot right now, but, I'm pretty sure she'll have one in due course.

Back to the innards of Brass Castle, I take the opportunity to rest and save at the inn, then go back to Chris' quarters. There, Louis asks if I'm ready to advance the plot take the rest of the day off or if I want to continue derping. I choose to rest.

The game fast-forwards quite a bit. My guess is that we're now on the Amur Plains on the day we agreed to meet with the Lizard Wizard Horse Fish Imp God Shapesifter Clan. Well, not just them. There's a representative of the Chisa Clan and two Kayarans as well. There's a little friction with Chris and Lucia, and how the Zexen military has no actual say in politics. However, the initial dialog goes well enough.

Still, as the Grasslanders celebrate the truce, the air is still tense. Roland come forward and notes how the troops are agitated, and it might be wisest to leave. Chris thinks it would be rude to just up and leave, but both Borus and Solome agree they should get a move on. However...

...both Kayaran and Lizard units have been spotted advancing on their position! What happened to the truce, then? Was it actually a trap? Not soon after we get into our first war battle with the victory condition of "Survive". We don't know how long we need to hold out, but that's what we need to do!

The first turn went pretty badly. The generic Zexen units they gave us were no match for the generic Lizard units. Lucia, Beecham, and a generic Kayarn unit arrive on-site making the situation even worse. Solome has a plan, but it involves breaking through enemy lines (the Kayaran generic unit that was just spawned) to the east.

So, we have a new win-con. We send Roland's unit first, and defeats the enemy unit. Chris' unit moves into the now-empty zone. The enemy's turn consists of setting up their positioning. Thankfully, Chris can move to where she needs to be to clear the battle.

While the party has managed to retreat, there's still Zexen soldiers out there on the plains fending off both the Lizards and the Kayarans. Salome notes that there is a Kayaran village up ahead, and suggests that we raid it. Once the Kayaran learn about it, they would withdraw. That should relieve some of the pressure, and allow our men an escape. Borus thinks it's ludicrous to go searching for new enemies, but Roland thinks the plan might work. No other options are floated, and Chris agrees to Salome's plan.

We use the handy-dandy save point of Amur Plans then press on with a heavy heart. Thanks to playing Hugo first, we know exactly what's going to happen here.

Salome orders the men to burn the village, but to not harm the villagers. Not sure how that's going to work! He then rides forth with them. Borus is taking up the rear guard, and I have no idea where Roland is. Which leaves the active party to Chris and Louis. We move forward to the village, and spot a dead villager. Chris makes no comment about this that I can see. Further into the village, Chris notes that the fire is spreading quite quickly. She then spots a particular armor.

She becomes lost in thought, wondering how her father's armor got here. Was he killed by a Kayaran? Did they honor his memory? She comes back to reality with a shout from Louis. She sees a Kayaran come at her with a dagger. She doesn't have time to think, only to act. Before she even realizes it, there is a dead boy at her horse's feet, and another boy morning his death, asking her why it had to happen like this. Chris can do nothing for the boy, except to apologize.

Kayaran troops are closing in, as Salome suspected. We must make for Borus's position. I thought this meant to go back to where we came, but, NOPE. We must go even further into Kayara Village, and get into encounters. Joy. At the end of the path we find a mess of dead villagers. Wait, what? How could this be? Salome doesn't seem to know anything about this, and there is some question as to the possibility that it was Borus. Chris is infuriated; there was no need to kill these people. She has Salome sound the retreat. There has been enough death this day.

Fast forward to Brass Castle. Chris asks if all the men are accounted for. Salome gives a quick report, and the responses to that report are pretty interesting. Chris furrows her brow and says something to the effect of, "Just as planned, I see" while Borus hits the wall, and rants about how they now know what the Grasslanders are like.

Next morning, Louis greets us, and it looks like we have some free roaming. Not that we can recruit right now, but, we take the opportunity to save.
Marrend
We hop on over to the room next to Chris' quarters in Brass Castle. There, Salome is questioning Borus as to whither or not he hand any hand in the massacre at Kayara Village. Borus vehemently denies it. Salome apologizes to Borus, then notices Lady Chris. He then informs her of a summons by the Council in regards to the cancellation of the treaty. Chris makes a comment about how fast that was, then asks Borus to accompany her to Vinay del Zexay while Salome and Roland stay behind in Brass Castle to observe Grasslander movement.

This is good, because Borus wasn't in the party when we were in Kayara Village, and thus, hasn't leveled up yet. If I was a betting man, I'm put at least ten potch on the Council asking us to go back to Brass Castle, and we pick up Percival and Leo on the way. All that aside, I see no reason not to just go to Vinay Del Zexay.

I would have already lost that bet. Leo and Percival are waiting by the west side of Brass Castle's innards, giving their condolences about the fallen men. That they are here makes a bit of sense, as I now recall Hugo's Chapter 1. On the other hand, they don't join my party either. BOOOOO!

What the heck are Fred and Rico still doing in Zexen Forest? Didn't Hugo's party meet them before they even got to Vinay Del Zexay? I swear, this is the exact same place where I met them as Hugo, and that was, like, ages ago by now! Still, poor Rico!

Anyway, back in the city. I visit Chris' house first. There should be a package there for me left by a certain Kayaran warrior. Hopefully, that will answer some of the question Chris had during the sacking of Kayara Village. As it turns out, there is no event there. Maybe it's after I meet with the Council? I poke around town some more, but, ultimately, I head for the Council chambers.

The Council makes Lady Chris wait in a chapel. I mean, refusing to see Hugo at all was one thing, but Chris? I don't like it. Anyway, she thinks over the events of Kayara Village, and has a moment of self-doubt. However, she resolves that she's a Zexen Knight, through and through.

Now at the meeting, Chris asks if the Council really wants her to move her armies into Grassland. Upon affirmation, she has every right to be frustrated with them.

Sounds a lot like Hugo, doesn't it?

There was at least one member of the Council here that says that the truce was merely a tactical delay, and it was the Grasslanders that broke the treaty first anyway. They officially recognize Chris the Captain of the Knights, and order her to go to Brass Castle to begin operations against the Grasslands immediately. As it is her duty to serve the Council, she agrees, albeit with a heavy heart.

She relays her new position and new orders to Borus and Louis, and says they will leave at first light. This gives us another opportunity to derp, but, I just don't see a reason to.

At home, Hugo's package is finally delivered. While the butler doesn't say that straight out, or Hugo's additional mention that the warrior died bravely, the fact that it was delivered by a "Grassland boy" might have triggered a few thoughts in Chris' mind. The camera pans, fades, and Chris' Chapter 1 comes to a close.
Marrend
Is anybody else wondering how Geddoe fits into all this? Let's get into his Chapter 1 and find out!

Geddoe and his gang (whose names are interestingly poker-themed) start in Vinay Del Zexay. They have orders to investigate the rumors of the Fire Bringer in the area. Ace can hardly believe that a something from 50 years ago is popping up again, but, we have Geddoe say that we should take the assignment. There's a bit of a follow-up scene that tells us that we should go to the Great Hollow of the Lizard Clan, but, more importantly, we have control of five party-members after it's all said and done. Guess what time it is! Yep, is Stat Stone abuse time!

Afterwards, I derp around town a bit to sharpen weapons and optimize what armor slots I can. After that, I leave Vinay Del Zexay. There's a bit of a scene here, but, we're soon off to Zexen Forest. Once we clear there, we can go to either Brass Castle or to Yaza Plains. I choose the latter. We meet a tough fight in the form of a Peckles and three rabbits. The Mercenary A Unite wipes the small fry, but, Queen suffers major damage. Thankfully, Geddoe comes up and gives it a new threat with two strong strikes! He takes a hit for the team, but, the boar is ultimately no match for the mercenaries. More importantly, we level from the fight.

Now at the Great Hollow, and we get into a bit of a dizzy. Thankfully, Geddoe knows how to talk to Lizardfolk.

We have to physically follow Shiba to Zepon's room rather than being teleported there. Even then, he asks Geddoe's party to stay while the Lizard chief and Geddoe have their pow-wow. Of course, Zepon cannot say either way if the rumors are true or false. However, he does allow us to set up a temporary base of operations here. Queen isn't too happy with that, but, it's a start.

Now by "base of operations", they do NOT mean "headquarters". We can NOT recruit at this time. However, the Great Hollow does provide a trainer, a trading post, an inn, a blacksmith, an armorer, and a general store. That's quite a number of services! We make use of most of them, and take a snooze and save before advancing the plot.

This involves getting a cut-scene on the lower-right side of the Great Hallow where a group of Lizard warriors are gathered. They tell us there is an intruder, but not to interfere in this matter. Ace asks if we're going to let them boss us around. While Queen answers "I guess" I follow the Lizards into the caves anyway. There's a little scene there with Geddoe watching a Lizard warrior advance. We follow him, but, we end up coming across that group, and they think we are the intruders! It's only after we kick their butts that Shiba comes from behind, and says that we are guests. Gee, thanks a lot.

Well, I guess I can't blame the Lizards. This intruder has penetrated into the inner sanctum of the Great Hallow, which they consider an act of war. Shiba then joins my party. He's level 26, which is about three levels above my where anybody else in this party is, but, I still hand him some Stat Stones.

We proceed to an alternate entrance to the Great Hallow, and what do we see but a number of Zexen Knights, and... Lady Chris? Does anybody else remember going here when we played as her? Anyway... HEY EVERYBODY, IT'S A BOSCHE!

I start off with the Mercenary A Unite in hopes to wipe the small fry while everyone else goes on Defend. While it doesn't quite do that, they still come to us, and we let our Repel stat/skill do it's work. Next turn, I set my team on Auto. However, Chris uses her Water Rune (!?) to heal whatever damage Mercenary A did. Good thing Shiba killed a dude before she pulled that off! Next turn, I set the team on Auto again. Chris pulls the one combat spell from the Water Rune, which deals a pretty decent swath of damage. Geddoe strikes her down, though, so we don't have to worry about her any more. The other enemies soon follow suit.

Geddoe sensed something wrong even before the fight started, and now seemed a good time to ask.

Chris doesn't really answer, and the Knights leave. Geddoe notices something else strange as they retreat: he cannot hear their footsteps. Back inside the caverns, Ace wonders why the Zexens would pull this with the armistice in effect. Jacques makes mention about the "tricks being too light", but Geddoe says nothing on this point. Queen runs up, and informs us of a dizzy by the chief's room. Uh-oh! Let's go to the inn and save before we get this next event, shall we?

Zepon is dead, and the Lizard Wizard Horse Fish Imp God Shapeshifter Clan are mobilizing for war against the Zexens. There's nothing we can do to stop them. They are angered by the death of their chief, and their inability to protect him. Joker asks if we should continue searching for the Fire Bringer, and Geddoe suggests to make a visit to Kayara Village, and speak with the renown Lucia there. Queen makes a snide comment, but, regardless, the road to Kayara Village opens when we get to the overworld map.

Once there, we are greeting by Kayaran warriors, and they are not particularly friendly! Ace spins a story about how the party is a traveling circus, but, they don't believe him. A fight ensues! I wipe the floor with them, and Alia asks who we really are afterwards. Jimba comes forward during the exchange, and asks Alia to stand down. At this time, Geddoe comes forward, and admits he's not sure how best to explain the situation. Jimba explains that most warriors are out, and those that remain are on edge. Geddoes asks what's up, and Jimba, as way of apology, invites the party into the village to explain. We don't automatically go there, so, I take the opportunity to rest/save at the inn.
Marrend
I use the trainer in Karaya Village to buff some skills, then move in Hugo's house. Geddoe visits Jimba alone, and we're basically left with Ace, and Joker looking for trouble food. While looking around, we overhear Alia yelling. Ace and Joker take a peek at what's going on. Apparently, there's a woman there telling them to leave the village? Of course, Alia proclaims that they would never abandon the village, and takes aim. She uses some spell, and teleports a short distance as they try to strike her. She asks them to heed her warning before teleporting out of sight.

Neither Ace nor Joker like this. However, Joker thinks we should follow her to get some intel. Ace agrees, and we move out! On the Amur Plains, we see Alia focusing some manner of spirit energy on the ground, then dashes off as if on a trail. Ace and Joker eventually catch up, only for Alia to spout something about the spirits of the earth protecting Kayara, then dashing off again.

The game switches context to Geddoe and Jimba. Their conversation is a short one, doesn't really tell us anything, and is interrupted by a Kayaran warrior. Queen comes in, and suggests they leave the village.

The game switches context again. This time, Alia's caught up to the strange woman from before. The both look ready to fight when two strange men teleport in. One of them readies his weapons, a grin crossing his face. Joker creates a distraction, and Ace gets Alia outta there. Alia protests, with Ace trying to talk some sense into her, but they break their argument as they look to the horizon, and see the smoke. No one can believe what they are seeing, least of all Alia. We decide to investigate. With Alia in the party proper, I take a moment to feed her with Stat Stones.

This handy-dandy save point in the Aumr Plains is getting a lot of use! Anyway, when we enter Kayara Village, the game switches context again, and we're with Geddoe and Queen. The village is in flames, and we have Geddoe say that we shouldn't get involved. He crosses swords with Borus, but, Queen uses a flash bomb to enable their escape. We get ourselves to a cliff overlooking the village, and are soon joined by Ace, Joker, and Alia. Jacques also eventually shows up.

The next morning, Ace reports that we should be clear, but, where are we going? Queen suggests we go to Caleria, and learn what we can there. Geddoe agrees. As for Alia, Queen asks if she wants to come along. If there are any survivors, there's no telling where they are, and there would be no way to going to look for them. Alia asks if she might run in to that strange woman again if she comes with us. After a bit of explanation as to who the heck they are talking about, and Geddoe appealing to Alia's warrior's pride, she comes with us.

This is, literally, the first time we've seen this message.

However, a bunch of stuff just opened on the world map. There's no way we're going to Caleria now! We cross the plains of Amur and Yaza, and find ourselves at Lake Castle. When we arrive, the guard there mistakes us for mountain bandits. Can't say I entirely blame her for thinking that, but, the castle's young master, Thomas, apologizes on her behalf. He then asks if we're here to open a business, and there's talk about how the castle is shared by both Grassland and Zexen, but, ultimately, we're a party of mercenaries. However, we promise that if we do run across anybody that's looking to open a business, that we'll tell them about this place.

So, now that this scene is over, we note that Jacques is out of the party, but, we take the opportunity to save anyway. That's because we can finally recruit people! On my list for this Chapter is Dominic, Scott, Jeane, Ernie, Peggi, Koroku, and Mike. I visit Vinay Del Zexay first, to recruit Dominic, and to pick up an item I need for Scott. Then, to Brass Castle for aforementioned Scott, plus Jeane and Ernie.

Next is the Great Hallow to pick up Peggi. The remnants of the Kayara Clan is here, and we can even talk to Lucia! However, it's not an event, it's just a comment about how she wants to rebuild, but the current situation prevents that. Koroku seems like another two-stage recruit like Scott and Peggi. We need to find a corpse in Mt. Hei-Tou, loot it, get out of the dungeon, then re-visit that corpse after maybe an hour of gameplay. Well, I can probably kill a bit of time in Lake Castle with all the services there...

Welp, it looks like Jeane doesn't have an inventory! Off the top of my head, this means I have to re-visit Brass Castle and Vinay Del Zexay. However, after it's all said and done, that should have killed enough time.

I eventually find Koroku. He wasn't where I thought he was, and I consulted a walkthrough about where he was. Oh well, he was still recruited! This leaves Mike for this chapter, but, he's in Caleria, and that sounds like a journey for a future session!
Marrend
The last recruit of this chapter, Mike, is in Caleria. From the Great Hallow, this means crossing Plain Amur and Mountain Path. Now, there isn't a heck of a lot going on in Plain Amur (except an encounter with a Troll Dragon), and the only interesting thing of note in the Mountain Path is...

HEY BEVERYBODY! IT'S A BOSCHE!

...this critter. I have Joker use Blazing Wall on the main body while Alia/Geddoe take the left head, with Queen using her Ripple Rune to go after the right. Blazing Wall deals, like, 600 damage to each part of the boss. Alia and Jacques get their attacks in, but, Queen and Geddoe don't quite get to their targets. Next round, Geddoe/Alia cuts off that head, then Queen finally pulls off her Ripple. Next round, I set my guys on Auto, and most of my party ends up targeting the main body, and kills it dead. Afterwards, Ace makes a comment about how this monster is going to be a pain, and get in their way later. Alia laughs it off, and asks where Caleria is.

After that event resolves, one notes a treasure chest that was behind the monster that we loot. There's a mess-ton of potch and an array of items for us here. Anyway, the game would like us to go to "headquarters", but, let's check out the town first. Besides, there's a character to recruit!

Mike has us play a mini-game with him before we can recruit him. We need to win 20,000 potch from him, and offers to explain the game before we play for real. I'm not really interested in a tutorial, but, I suppose I can save-state scum if I really have to.

Actually, it's probably a good thing that I did use saved states, because I kept pressing "X" to skip the dialog, but ended up betting the default (100 potch) rather than a more reasonable sum to bet (the max of 9,000) instead! Anyway, with Mike recruited, I'm feeling a bit better about going to this not-actually-HQ-but-that's-what-the-game-is-calling-it. Ace dicthes the party to go fill out paperwork. Well, somebody's got to do it! We're supposed to meet at the inn, but, there's a storage facility here, and there's junk in my inventory from the Mountain Path treasure that I can drop off. There's also a trainer here, but, I just send the party to the inn.

There, we take a breather. Or would very much like to. Another mercenary company walks in on us, and it doesn't seem like we're on the best of terms. Duke, their leader, asks us if we're in on the hunt for the True Rune. We've never heard of anything like that, but, he spouts about how they are going to beat us this time and that they'll prove that they're better than we are. The game gives us a choice of either to say we're not interested in competing, or that we already know who's best. I choose to say that we already know who's best, because, well, yeah.

Fast forward a bit, and we see Ace coming in, and telling us about the hunt for the True Rune. To which Queen can only say "Oh brother" to. Ace is a bit confused, but, there's a bit of a fade out and in. Given what's said afterwards, he's given them the details, which probably isn't all that different from what they heard from Duke and his gang. Ace thinks we should go, but nobody else in this unit is in any rush. One by one, they leave the room, with Alia staying behind, only to ask for another soda. The camera pans out, then starts to fade, and the Chapter comes to a close.

As an aside, let me admit to something: I did not know the codes to hack inventory or gold for Chris or Geddoe before this play-through. I attempted to look up those codes before I started playing. However, as far as I can tell, nobody has them. However, with a little thanks to CheatEngine, I was able to ascertain the codes. For full disclosure, I don't have the appropriate codes for Thomas either, when I get to his chapters (and I will play through them) but, that will be when I get that far.

Speaking of Thomas, he's available now on the Trinity Site! However, that's not the story I'll be going to next. Next is... well, let's keep it a secret for now.
Marrend
Last time we left off with Duke Dudley, he was in an airplane that was going to crash. Of course, there were no parachutes with which to escape!

Er, wait. Wrong game. Let's try this again.

Last time we left off with Lady Chris, she had returned to her home in Vinay Del Zexay for a brief reprieve before going right back to the front against the Grasslands. The gal gets no respect, I tell ya.

After a short scene with the butler in her house, I get control of Chris. There is maybe one thing I want to see before shoving off to Brass Castle. I spot the Saint Loa Knights, and it looks like Alanis is leaving for real this time. The sequence is cute as hell, but Chris' comment after watching it is even better.

No comment about "Silver Maiden Alanis", obviously.

When Chris get to where Borus and Louis are, Borus asks what took her so long. Chris answers that she saw the future Percival and Borus, referencing the Saint Loa Knights. Neither Borus or Louis have any clue what she's talking about, to which, she asks them to pay her no mind. To Brass Castle! Man, I love this game's consistency here.

Nope, I lied. Lake Castle is on the overworld map. So, I hop over there, and get the cute event there. I take the opportunity to use what services I can here. However, Chris may now recruit! On this chapter's list, we have Nei, Toppo, Shabon, Watari, Gordon, Mio, and Ayame. The first three are musicians that we saw back in Vinay Del Zaxay. Watari and Gorden are in Iskay Village, I think. I can't remember off hand where Mio is, but, I'm pretty sure Ayame can be found in Lake Castle proper after Watari is recruited.

However, Iskay Village isn't available right now. That involves advancing the plot. So, I recruit the musicians, hoof it back to Lake Castle to put them in my party, and proceed to give them Stat Stones.

Back in Brass Castle, the event there drops off Louis. I re-check the shops here to fill out the inventories at Lake Castle. I get the next event, which is the Knights of the Round Table Zexen discussing Chris' order to attack the Great Hollow. Salome comes up with a plan as usual, and the Knights agree. Next day comes, and I have another opportunity to derp. I note that Leo and Percival are available, and I'm pretty sure they have not been given their due course of Stat Stones. I take them to Lake Castle for any equipment upgrades I can get them.

Anyway, back to Brass Castle to advance the plot. The attack on the Great Hallow is another war battle for Chris, and we start with three units to their two. The victory condition is to take out five units, so, there must be more coming later. Sure enough, after I move Leo and Roland up, Dupa, Shiba, and Bazba's unit appear. WELP. Maybe a turn later, Kayaran reinforcements arrive. Maybe a turn after that, Borus and Percival get into the fray. They also gave me a Zexen generic to play with that I used to give my attacking units some cover. They were a pretty huge target on the enemy's next turn, but, they survived, and my attacks from my turn was enough to get a Major Victory!

After the war battle resolves, we are taken to the Great Hollow proper. I get into a number of regular fights before I get to the cave entrance. There, we get into a fight with Shiba and five Lizard warriors. Hey, everybody, is this a boss?

Well, under normal circumstances, that would probably be a boss fight. I'm not sure if it was using Shiba's stats from Geddoe's chapter or no, but, five Stat-Stoned Zexen Knights wiped the floor with the Lizards. I note that I did not have Chris use her Water Rune, but, that might just be an unfortunate aside for the Lizard Clan. Borus and Percival are a bit bloodthirsty, but, Chris once again remind them that they are not here to conquer, but to show Zexen power. Lucia comes forward to say that Chris has overstepped her bounds already, and calls her out on the sacking of Kayara Village. I choose to not have Chris deny her accusations, though, Salome and Roland have a few choice words. However, a messenger from Vinay Del Zexay reports that a Harmonian force is approaching, and that we have orders to withdraw. Lucia mocks Chris once again, and Chris says she's looking forward to when next they meet, but to stop calling her "White Maiden".

Chris asks about what's up with the Harmonian force, but, not even Salome knows yet. Shortly after, we gain control of Chris again. There's still quite a bit to do in this chapter (like recruiting fools people), but, this seems enough for now.
Marrend
Right off the bat, I go visit Salome on the west side of Brass Castle. Apparently, the battle with the Lizard Clan was bait laid by the Zexen Council to bring in the Harmonians. I'm not sure why they wanted to bait Harmonia, but, Chris is furious at the thought of the Knights being used as pawns in this way. She resolves to talk to the Council, and give them a piece of her mind!

Salome advises Chris to keep it cool: Get some much-needed rest from yesterday's battle, and let the situation dissolve by itself. She insists on doing her duty as Captain, and Borus asks to tag along. She politely declines. I mean, yes, Chris can take care of herself, but, can it hurt to have an escort? I consider going to Lake Castle to put together a party. The musicians could still use a few levels. Eh, whatever. Just go! Though, as a side-note, both the Great Hollow and Mt. Hei-Tou are now available. I'm guessing the Great Hollow is not going to be particularly friendly towards Chris!

When I enter Zexen Forest, Chris declares that she feels a bit off. Louis is concerned, but, she waves it off. A bit later on, she up and collapses. Welp!

When she comes to, she finds herself in her quarters in Brass Castle. We were closer to Vinay Del Zexay, but, lets not get into technicalities. We find out that Salome has gone to Vinay Del Zexay on Chris' behalf. There's a small opportunity to free-roam here, but, I return to the west side of Brass Castle to find Percival. He asks if I want to accompany him to Iksay Village. I choose to have Chris say it might be nice to go, but, frankly, I'm more there for the recruits than the plot event. However, there is one small detail about Chris that I forgot earlier: she should have access to the innards of Zexen Council Hall, which has a few services that can fill out shop inventory.

As it happens, Iksay Village is near Lake Castle. So, we can pick up the musicians, and maybe have some new equipment for them, before going to Iksay. There's a little scene once we get to Iksay, with Chris poking a bit of fun at Percival. When I get control of Chris again, I head to the items shop first for Gordon.

Chris' facial expressions take the cake.

I hop over to the inn to see an unexpected face there...

I forget how old Tuta was in Suikoden 2, but, daaaaamn.

...and acquire Mio. I have a little trouble remembering where to even find Watari, but, I do eventually find him, and pay him 100,000 potch for his services. Geeze, that was a chunk of change! We cannot leave Iksay at this time to get Ayame. So, what else is there to do but go to the inn, save, then advance the plot?

So, I take Chris to the back of the town, and have her admire the view of the fields there. A curious fellow by the name of Nash pops by. There's a bit of small talk here, but, he eventually reveals that he's investigating the war between Zexen and Grassland. Chris doesn't like it, but what's worse, the town has come under attack by the Lizard Clan! Chris must go to protect the village, and Nash follows her. Time to do a quick feeding of Stat Stones to the new guy.

I go back to town proper, and note that there's Kayaran warriors here as well. I guess I should have seen that coming! We get into a fight with four Lizards, then Percival joins us for another fight against a pair of Lizards and Kayarans. After that, Percival tells Chris that he's told the villagers to head for the hills. If we try to exit town, we just get into another fight, so, we also head for the hills!

Shiba catches up to us, and there's a choice of response here. We can either let Nash handle it and escape without fighting, or we can just take these guys on. I choose to take them on. Chris mentioned last war battle that she prefers a straight fight, and this isn't the place for diplomacy! We beat their faces, and fall back to the windmill. We are then approached by Dupa and Jimba. Chris starts asking Jimba questions about the armor she saw, and the pentacle Hugo delivered. Jimba only answers that Hugo was doing as he was told. Chris wants to know if Jimba killed her father, and is ready to avenge his death! A duel between Jimba and Chris quickly ensues!

This duel was done before it even started. I guessed Jimba was going to do an "Attack", and was spot on: Chris' "Deathblow" took him out in one go. After the duel, Jimba mocks Chris, then gets off the ground. He comes at her, tells her to follow the Flame Champion if she wants to find her father, but gets pushed aside, as Chris tells him to get away from her. Zexen reinforcements arrive soon after that, and the Grasslanders decide to err on the side of caution, and flee.

The game forces Borus, Leo, Roland, and Louis into the party. Is Salome seriously still at Vinay Del Zexay? Anyway, the Knights tell me we should go to the castle (Brass Castle, presumably), but, we've the opportunity to free-roam. Or, if one prefers, the opportunity to recruit Ayame. I was wrong about Ayame being at Lake Castle, but, there is something I need to do here in order to recruit her, and that is to talk to Watari. He'll need to put into the party for her to show up at North Cavern. I have exactly one party slot that I can mess with right now, so, this works. Of course, I'll want to give him a healthy dose of Stat Stones as well as optimizing what equipment I can. Not to mention buying skills. I haven't been talking about that, but, that's been part of the rounds when I'm at Lake Castle.

Anyway, Ayame is at the tail end of North Cavern. Of course she is. There is a very brief conversation with Watari before they duel. She's a lot tougher than Jimba, but, I also didn't feed Watari as many Stat Stones as I did Chris, and Ayame used "Defend" quite a bit. However, the duel is won, and Ayame joins. We return to Vinay Del Zexay to rest, then back to Brass Castle. Louis leaves the party there, but, we just find him in Chris' quarters to activate the next plot event.

Chris sits alone in the chamber next to her quarters. She thinks about her duel with Jimba, and what he said about following the Flame Champion. A knock at the door disperses her thoughts. Salome comes in, shocked at the news of the attack on Iksay Village. I have Chris tell Salome about how she thinks her father is still alive, but cannot pursue he selfish desires due to her position. Salome laughs it off, and tells her that duty to their country is merely one thing that all Zexen Knights have, and that she should have some time to herself. She's none too pleased with his assessment, but, he's willing to cover for her when (not "if" but "when") she does not appear at the breakfast table tomorrow.

I have Chris go back to her quarters, and as I move forward, I hear a strange sound from the bookcase! Upon examining it, it appears to be a secret door, and Nash is behind it! He overheard the entire conversation with Salome (I seriously doubt the ability to read lips had anything to do with it), and wants to be our guide. However, he notes that her current outfit is too obvious. Well, he's not wrong! Chris changes her outfit, but makes damn sure Nash stays in line. After the scene, Nash joins us. We're going to be taking the path Nash just opened. It looks strangely similar to the tunnel Hugo and his company used back when they were escaping Brass Castle!

After we leave the tunnel, Chris stays behind for a brief moment. This isn't "goodbye", of course, but she feels like she belongs here. After a while, the two travelers move uphill as the camera pans. It then cuts to the top potion, where we see Salome and Borus. Borus asks if they can trust Nash. Salome responds that his swordsmanship is no joke. However, Borus was more concerned for Lady Chris. Percival suggests that he join her, but, both Roland and Leo are of the mind that they should just wait for the day of her return. There's a little bit more to the scene, but, the chapter pretty much closes with this.
Pages: first 123 next last