MARREND PLAYS SUIKODEN 3!

Pages: first prev 123 next last
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Last time we left off with Hugo of Kayara, Sgt. Joe had finished burying Lulu. The village was in shambles; there were no apparent survivors. However, we decided to regroup at Duck Village.

When I enter the village, two citizens come up, and ask for Sgt. Joe's help, saying something about how there's nothing that will please her. No clue what they're talking about 'till I round the corner, and see a familiar face.

I think Lilly was, like, somewhere around 10 in Suikoden 2? Tuta was about that old then as well.

So, Lilly, here is looking for the Flame Champion. The ducks here have no clue what she's talking about. I mean, they're probably figuring that it's been 50 years since that title was even used, and the guy is either dead, or retired by now. Anyway, she spots Hugo and company. She asks us who we are. Now, I have three options here, but, I choose to tell her who I am. She's never heard of Hugo (go fig) or his clan, but, introduces herself all the same.

Just as she's about to ask Hugo a question, her retainers come by to tell her they've acquired lodgings for the night. She's none-to-happy about the intrusion of the conversation, nor is she particularly happy about not following her requirements for the room. Geeze, Lilly, you can't expect first class accommodations everywhere you go! Anyway, the three move off, and the party is left behind wondering what that was all about. I do what rounds I can here, then visit the inn. Lilly's complaining to her retainers, to which Sgt. Joe makes a comment about. She turns to us, then asks if we're here to finish our conversation from before. Sure, why not?

There's a short scene here involving us going to the room Lilly's retainers managed to get. Anyway, Hugo asks about the Flame Champion. Sgt. Joe knows enough that the led the Fire Bringer 50 years ago, and wouldn't be much of a warrior now. Lilly says she thinks otherwise, but doesn't say why she thinks this. I mean, she wasn't a Star of Destiny in Suikoden 2, but, she still met Riou in that game, and he bore the Bright Shield Rune. She may have learned between then and now about how True Runes, with some exceptions (Like, say, the Rune of Punishment), tend to extend it's bearer's life. She may have also learned that the Flame Champion bore the True Fire Rune, and made the correlation that Regor's still alive and kicking.

Regardless of this, she wants us to take her to the Lizard Clan, and is willing to pay us 4,000 potch to do it. I'd do it for free, but, that doesn't seem an option. She pays me 2,000 potch now, and promises to pay the rest when we arrive. Sure, why not.

Reed, Samus, and Lilly join my party. While the game Lilly wants to depart right now, that's just not going to happen. The correct time to leave would be after Stat Stone time.

The Ancient Highway is now on the map, as is the Great Hollow. We must go through the Ancient Highway to get to the Great Hallow rather than going through the "front door". I think it would be better to go there via the "front door", because going the other way when they are at war sounds exceptionally suspicious. On the other hand, I'm not sure if it's registering to Hugo that the Lizard Clan would be at war. On the other-other hand, there does seems to be an alliance between the Kayara and Lizard Clans. So, who knows how the Lizard Clan will react? I suppose there's only one way to find out.

The entrance to the Ancient Highway looks like the place where Alia cornered Sarah during Geddoe's Chapter 1. Oh, geeze, if those guys show up, we are screwed.

Hugo sees them first, and the party is wise enough to hide. While hiding, Sgt. Joe asks Hugo what he makes of these guys. I have Hugo say that they don't look like allies, while, at the same time, Lilly says that they are evil. The scene continues before I get another choice. One is to be an idiot, and try and talk to them. The other is to wonder what we should do. I have Hugo wonder what we should do, to which Lilly suggest a frontal assault like an idiot. Apparently, we go up and talk to them anyway, and get into a fight with the man in black. See, this is what I wanted to avoid game! Though, I think that if you agree with Lilly, you end up running, but, whatever. This is the situation we're in.

This was an interesting fight. My opponent's parry rate increases to insane levels when he becomes Berserk. Of course, his damage output in that state is also nothing to sneeze at. However, I save-state scummed my way to victory because I'm a chump, though, I largely suspect the game would let me continue if I lost that fight. I'm telling you, if I didn't feed Stat Stones to my guys, it would absolutely end with me loosing!

With that out of the way, it's a pretty clear shot to the Great Hollow. When we exit from the tunnel, we hear the sound of fighting. Don't tell me we're too late again!

This is Chris' attack on the Great Hollow, only from Hugo's perspective. We might know the background of this fight via playing Chris' Chapter 2 first, but, to Sgt. Joe, he sees Zexen fighters going after the Lizard Clan after they have dealt with the Kayara Clan. He's not totally wrong, but, there's a bit more to this situation than that.

Anyway, there's a bit of a choice here. Either sit and watch, or join the battle. Now, call me crazy, but, I don't get the impression that Hugo is the type of person that would watch the Zexens going at the Lizard Clan. Thus, we join the fray. I fight two battles before the game shows me the dialog between Chris, Dupa, and Lucia that occurred during Chris' Chapter 2. When the scene concludes, we are free to enter the Great Hollow. When we do, who greets us, but Lulu's mother Luce? Sgt. Joe cannot look her in the face. She calls to Lucia, and goes on an on, and we cannot get a word in edgewise, even if we wanted to. However, the conversation naturally turns to her son, and where he is.

Lucia does her best, and even Luce realizes that she's not the only one who lost a child that day, but, it doesn't make the news any easier to bear.

The next scene is Hugo talking with Lucia. It's a fairly heartwarming moment, but, it's interrupted by Sgt. Joe. Apparently, Lilly's entourage are missing! Hugo runs to find them, hoping they aren't making any trouble (yeah, right). Lucia asks Sgt. Joe if he can continue to look after her son. He resolves not to make the same mistake twice.

Of course, we find Lilly talking to the new Lizard Clan chief where Geddoe went to talk to Zepon back in his Chapter 1. Of course, she's pestering him about the Fire Bringer, and Dupa proceeds to tell her about the happenings of 50 years ago. It's a series of flashback, and one of them has this scene of a group of people behind Regor, with one of them looking strangely like Jimba! As much as I would have liked to take a screenshot, flashbacks have a tendency to have graphical errors, and the resulting image would just look ugly.

Anyway, after the flahsbacks are done, Dupa proceeds to explain to Lilly that she should stop searching for the Fire Bringer and the Flame Champion. We get control of Hugo again, but, we know Lilly won't go back so easily. Speaking of, I go down a set of staircases, and find Lilly again. She finally tells me why she thinks the Flame Champion still lives. Sgt. Joe is a bit more practical about Lilly's situation. One, that it would be foolish to think the Flame Champion, if he were still alive, would go out if his way to mess up Tinto's trade route, and two, she still owes us 2,000 potch. She's none-to-happy about the second point, and it turns out they have no further funds anyway. Lilly and her entourage re-join me, which is good. I can fully use the services here. However, I'm not quite sure where we're going right now.

I try leaving the Great Hollow through the "front door", and get a cut-scene where Hugo spots Jimba. Hugo's relieved to see him, but, of course, the conversation turns to Lulu again. It's still tough to say, but, Jimba gets the message. He's hasn't had a great time either, though, he does tell us about Lake Castle. Hrmmmm.

Oh well. I figure we can mess with it later. That, and there's no recruit-notes for this chapter. So, we take Jimba back to see Lucia. They must talk among themselves, and Hugo and Sgt. Joe leave the two. The scene shifts, and Hugo asks if Jimba is talking about the same person Lilly was. Sgt. Joe seems to think so, and wonders about Lilly. She's right behind us, which startles us somewhat, but not as much as how much Lilly is startled by Jimba when he comes up behind her. He asks if I did what he sent me out to do (ie: deliver the pentacle), and I say yes. The conversation moves to talk about the Fire Bringer. Jimba wants us to go to Lake Castle for two reasons. One, a new lord has appeared there, and he's unlike any other. He wants Grasslanders and Zexens to come, and the place has been a meeting point for the two factions in the past. Two, to try and figure out if the Fire Bringer are there, and make contact with them.

We thoroughly ignore Lilly throughout this entire conversation, but, it seems to her like the best opportunity for her situation so far. I guess we're stuck with the Tinto Trio for a bit longer. As we leave the Great Hollow, Reed and Samus are complaining to Lilly about leaving right now. Of course, Lilly will have none of it, and runs forth. Poor guys. They have had it rough. And with that, the chapter closes.

That... was a lot shorter than I remember it being!
Zakariya
Every misdeed has its own punishment, and every good deed has its reward.
This is especially...interesting. o_o
Marrend
As a heads-up, I won't have time tomorrow to play this. However, Wednesday, I should be able to...

...catch a few stars.
Good timing since Wednesday-Saturday is International Suikoden Days. Woo~

(I know I'll be catching stars too.)
Zakariya
author=Liberty
(I know I'll be catching stars too.)

What do you mean by that? :P
Marrend
Liberty's in the processs of doing a live-stream of Suikoden 2 on... her twich channel, I think? She also has (had?) a stream of Suikoden on her YouTube channel... oh, shoot, when was that?

*third worst memory*

Anyhow, there's been a lot of Suiko-love recently. <3
Marrend
Before I get started, let me fire up some music!

To be fair, I probably should have posted Lake Castle's track when we first came across it as Geddoe. For that, I'm sorry.

Anyway, on to Scene 24, which is a smashing scene with some lovely action, in which there aren't any swallows...

Oh, bother. Let me try that again.

On to Geddoe's Chapter 2! Last time we left off with these guys, they were in Caleria, and they just heard about a hunt for the True Fire Rune. Geddoe starts out by his lonesome, so, I should probably find my party before heading out of here to hunt stars.

I manage to find Ace and Alia, but cannot find the other party members. Where the heck are they? Jacques has been known to disappear on me, but, Queen and Joker?

As I search the town, I find a staircase that leads to a plot-point for Geddoe. He's seeing a merchant, and they haggle over a fruit. However, there's a message from "that man" packaged with the fruit, so, this isn't a regular exchange of goods and services by any means. Who the heck is "that man", and what is this message Geddoe's getting?

Apparently, this isn't the first time he's received orders, or messages this way. Ace seems to know something about it, but, Alia's in the dark.

Anyway, I have control of Geddoe again, and I walk toward the inn and get a glance of Joker and Queen before the next event hits. Apparently, Harmonia's forces are... waaaaait a second.

Okay, that's Sasarai. He was a thorn in our side during Suikoden 2. That's concerning as it is. However, the guy that's with him we met as Hugo during his chapter 2. Not a good sign!

Back in the inn, the party talks about their next move. After a bit of back-and-forth, Geddoe says they will go to Le Buque. This is not where the Harmonian force is going. They are going to the Safir Clan. I'm not even sure if we ever meet anybody from the Safir Clan! That aside, I'm not sure what kind of information Geddoe bought, but, Ace makes another comment about Geddoe's "fruit".

As it happens, Le Buque houses this chapter's one-and-only recruit: Edge. However, before we go to the Mountain Path, and from thence, to England Le Buque, I can do the rounds in Caleria that I didn't do, or plain forgot to do, before.

There's a boss on the Mountain Path (Ace was right about monsters getting in the way here), but we don't need to fight it if we take the path to Le Buque. I might need to fight it later, but, for now, I skip it. However, there is a boss fight when we enter Le Buque. I beat the group, and a conversation occurs between their leader, a Harmonian bishop (the same one that Hugo met!) and my party. There's a small event a bit further in, but, after that, we may interact with Le Buque with no further issues.

There's a number of places I can enter here, and services to use. I hop by the Rune Sage first, as that's where Edge should be. I hand over 1,000 potch to duel him, and win. How he has the Star Dragon Sword, I'll never know. I mean, on one hand, I guess it's good to see that Victor and the Star Dragon Sword parted ways. However, I don't feel like it needed to be in this game. There's certainly no Neclord section (thank the Gods), and this is the only time in the game where it even talks. The only possible exception I can think of is the one play about Neclord's defeat, and I'm sure at least Edge or the Sword have a comment about it if you put Edge in as narrator.

That aside, I was terribly wrong about being able to interact with this place with no further issues. There's more events happening around here. As I go to the other side of town where the inn and other shops are, Alia spies Sarah, and runs off like an idiot. What does she hope to accomplish? I run after her to make sure she doesn't do anything stupid. We can only hear snippets of the conversation between her and the Bishop, but, it doesn't sound too good. Alia re-joins me. Can I explore this town now without an event, game? Geeze!

Apparently not, as I go back to the center of town, and get another event with the Green Bishop (let's go with that for now) sending out these guys against the Safir Clan. This is something of a confusion point for me, I must admit, since I thought it was the Safir Clan that I was visiting. I can't remember the name of the clan that resides here, so, you will have to forgive me on this point. However, Suikosource tells me it's the Carna Tribe, so...

Anyway, looks like I can finally do the rounds here. I'm not sure about the Rune Sage, as the Green Bishop is being housed there, but, I can go to any other shop. I saw Franz by the inn when I was trying to double-back from getting Alia, and I figure that's where the next plot-event is.

I do a small run to the Rune Sage, annnnd, nope, no dice. Alia doesn't let me go in. It used to be Joker before Alia ran off! So, I go over to Franz, and eavesdrop on his conversation with Iku. She's not happy about the mission, or that Franz thinks they have to be second-class citizens of Harmonia to be considered "people". Franz, however, notes two things. One, that they're only reason that Harmonia haven't wiped them off the map is because of their ability to train Mantor. Two, that it's been fifty years since the Fire Bringer wars, and not once have the Grasslands Clans attempted to reclaim Le Buque from Harmonia.

Alia butts in, asking questions about the situation, and Franz leaves for the mission afterwards. Izu invites us to her place to talk it over with Alia. Now, I can choose to stay behind and listen, or look into the situation in regards to Sarah being with the Green Bishop. I choose to stay behind and listen. It's for the player's benefit to hear this story to, I think. However, Geddoe still sends Joker, Ace, and Jacques to go after Sarah.

To summarize, there was a war fifty years ago between the Grassland Clans and Harmonia. That much we all know by now. However, the resolution of that war was not as clean-cut as Alia thought. The impression I'm getting is that Le Beuque was offered to Harmonia for the right for Grasslands to be recognized as an independent nation by Harmonia. Or similar diplomatic maneuvering. However, the citizens of Le Buque were entered into Harmonia as third-class citizens, and thus, had no real rights under Harmonian law. They were slaves that were sometimes sent to Crystal Valley to toil untold labor there. That's why the promise of second-class citizenship is such a big thing: It's an opportunity to stop being treated like dirt by Harmonia.

As for why the Grassland Clans did not peruse liberating Le Buque from Harmonia? If my theory is right, such would be seen as a breach of treaty with Harmonia. That may, or may not, be enough to call for war. However, the citizens of Le Buque would be in a bad situation regardless of how they actually feel about the Grasslands trying to reclaim their town. I mean, there was one cut-scene where traders, they kinda look like Zexens, are talking about "Harmonian stench". I dunno about you, but, the impression I get with that scene, and Iku's story, is that they basically aren't recognized by anybody! Which, again, ties to the whole promise of being second-class citizens being such a big deal.

Anyway, Ace and his team butts in, and have some information for us. Apparently, there's an alter that's used for Mantor training that's being abandoned, and it looks like our Green Bishop is headed there. With a name like "Alter of the Flame Champion", I'm guessing it's really important. We ask Iku to show us the way there. She does one better, and joins as a "guest".

In truth, she's in our party for two cutscenes before leaving. However, a path to Mt. Senai opens up on the overworld map. I think I'll rest/save before proceeding.

Mt. Senai has a lot of bridges to cross, but is fairly straight-forward otherwise. On the third screen (or so), we spot Sarah and Green Bishop. Oh, great, they got here before us! Sounds like we're going to follow them, maybe fight them too. I'm not sure I like that plan, but, we'll see.

We get to a rather ornate gate, which I presume to have something to do with the Alter of the Flame Champion. However, we're met by Duke and his gang. Oh, great, that's exactly what we need right now! Apparently, they were hired by the Green Bishop to be bodyguards, and don't seem like they are just going to let us through. There's a choice here. One leads us to a fight with Duke and his gang, while another doesn't, and the other choice just loops the conversation to the other choices. I'm... not really into fighting these guys, even if the game wants me to think otherwise. I choose the non-violent route.

Going back to the alter does nothing, so, we might as well ditch this cave. There's a small event before leaving, but, nothing too major. However, I wonder if the Rune Sage in Le Buque is available now? Oh, cool! There's a tutor in here too!

On the way back to Caleria, there's a scene where the party talks over stuff. Geddoe notes that everything they've come across recently has a single thread tying them together: the Flame Champion. Geddoe explains that the Flame Champion held a True Rune, and after Joker's explanation, Queen goes on to say that he might still be alive, and that Harmonia still fears him, and the Rune he bears. There's a cut to the scene that we saw in Geddoe's prologue with Geddoe and Regor talking. We do not see the other person from that scene, but, we know that there were three people at that bonfire. Who was it? If it really was Geddoe back then, could he be bearing a True Rune as well? Such questions will have to be answered another time, as this scene closes the chapter.
Marrend
Go directly to Geddoe's Chapter 3. Do not pass Go. Do not collect 200 potch.

Our objective is to go to Vinay Del Zexay. Thankfully, I don't have to hoof it all the way from Claeria. The game takes me as far as Brass Castle, which means I don't have to fight that treasure boss on the Mountain Pass! Woot!

My notes say that there's no characters to recruit in this chapter, but, I still want to stop by Lake Castle first. I do what rounds I can here, and shove off.

Part of my reason of doing this is setting up a character recruit for later. I need to put an "S" statue in a room in Lake Castle for this character to appear, and I've still got some unidentified items from the treasure boss back in Geddoe's Chapter 1. At this time, I can think of two places that even have appraisers: Duck Village and Vinay Del Zexay. Geddoe does not have access to Duck Village, so, I guess we're going to Vinay Del Zexay to appraise, aaaaand, probably get some story-advancement.

Our plot-point is at the inn, so, it sounds like I'm free to do what rounds I can here before I go there. Sure enough, the statue I had was a Hex Doll S. Sweet!

Anyway, I go to the inn. There's a little scene there with Joker, Ace, and Jacques, then the games cuts to upstairs with Geddoe to let us know that we're going to go to North Cavern next. It then switches to Queen and Alia wandering around Rune Sage's shop. The have a little run-in with Borus, and Alia attacks him. He manages to subdue Alia, and when she tells him who she is, he realizes the situation. He's not happy about that day they burnt down Kayara Village either, and lets the two go. All Alia can do is call Borus a butcher as he leaves, and Queen silently sympathies.

It's pretty damn touching, too.

Anyway, next morning, Geddoe has relayed that we're going to North Cavern to the rest of the team to meet another contact. We leave the city, almost leaving Ace behind. Almost.

We meet Duke's gang somewhere in the middle of the cave. Apparently, there was an order for us to return to Caleria that Ace tossed, and they're here to make sure we follow that order. There's some exchange between Duke and Ace, but, Duke isn't going to back down unless he duels Geddoe. Fine, have it your way.

A bit further in, we meet our contact.

Well, things just got awkward! Of course, Alia has a few words for Salome, and he does his best to apologize. The conversation between them is a lead-in to the fact that Chris was spotted at the Great Hollow, and her presence at the armistice. Salome believes that the enemy, whoever it actually is, has some manner of magic to create illusions. Jacques thinks back to the fight against Chris, and how he didn't hear any footsteps.

However, Salome makes an argument. With the presence of a bishop in the lead of Harmonian armies making a full invasion of Grasslands is expected. They're going to be a lot more brutal this time, as there's no unifying force like there was fifty years ago, and it would change Grasslands as we know it. There's also the Zexen Council, some members of which seek to have a pact with Harmonia to divide Grasslands between each other. What he wants us to do is go to Lake Castle. Apparently, the master there has started to rebel against the Zexens, and Salome wants us to help with that. Not help the Zexens, mind you, help the rebels.

Now, we've seen both Percival and Borus mention a rebellion where sending the knights would be considered overkill. So, this isn't supposed to be a "big thing" for them. If this "tiny" rebellion manages to fend off the Zexen attacks, their leadership should change. Or so Salome seems to think. We seem okay enough with this plan, though, Ace wants us to go back to Vinay Del Zexay for supplies. Eh, I can see me using the save=point just outside the city, but, don't feel that's necessary. Unless this is the game telling me to go there before going to Lake Castle?

Two asides here. One, Salome mentions getting info from a man called "Wyatt". Now, maybe it's just me, but, my head jumps to the possibility of this Wyatt being Chris' father. As for the other aside, does anybody know the name of the lake that Lake Castle is near? I mean, it's not Toran Castle on Lake Toran (ie: Suikoden), nor Ceres Castle on Ceres Lake (ie: Suikoden 5), but, it might be nice to direct people to the castle that way, even though nobody ever says anything like that in this game. However, I guess I do have a name for the castle, in case an answer is not forthcoming when the time comes for me to name the castle.

Anyway, on to Lake Castle! There's a bit of a dizzy when we enter Lake Castle, with Ceclie outright refusing to allow Leo and Percival to take Thomas away. Other castle occupants come in a bit later to back her up, and Leo and Percival go back to Vinay Del Zexen empty-handed. Going into the castle proper will probably trigger a cut-scene (or two), but, the place I need to put this statue is in that direction. I guess there's a few things I can still here before all that, though.

Huh. Looks like I can enter the main building without any additional fuss. Well, there's an event in the library, and that seems to trigger another event when I return to the main hall. Okay, let's do this!

That night, Joker has a talk with Geddoe regarding the record that the libarian was talking about. Apparently, Geddoe and Jimba were there, during the time Lake Castle became common land, and signed the treaty. Geddoe represented Grasslands with Jimba representing the Zexen Federation. He also mentions that Regor was also there for the treaty in a very roundabout way. Though, I suppose I can also look at it as deciding to share with Joker the reason why he knows so much, and how he's lived this long.

Hey, everybody! It's a True Plot Rune!

Next day, and we're ready to do our thing. We visit the front entrance to observe the situation. Thomas and his gang fall back into the manor house, which leaves us with a unit of Zexens to fight. It's a classic pincer manuver: Ace and Joker come forward as a distraction while the others attack from the side. To bad that makes zero difference to the fight itself.

We follow Thomas, and fall back to the manor house. We get into another fight before we get to the manor house. However, rather than going through the front door, we use a secret passage. Alia observes that the place looks like it's full of secret passages, and hopes that nobody else is using the one we intend to use! Given that the next scene is inside the manor with Thomas and his entourage, I take it that there were no issues. Queen tosses another smoke grenade (or like object), and we move in to attack! After the smoke clears, Ceclie wonders what the heck just happened, but it's Thomas that points out that there's more people to fight.

With that, a Councilor comes in with some bodygaurds, and asks Thomas to give up, or be charged with treason. However, the Zexens withdraw. Leo comes by, and says that an invasion of Grasslands is not permitted without Council approval. Percival has a few words to the Councilman as well.

Lake Castle has been saved. As he watches the citizens celebrate, Geddoe has a flahsback of talking to Wyatt (who looks incredibly like Jimba, by the way). When he comes out of it, Queen is asking what our next move is. Ace has a mission, but, Geddoe flat-out tells them that they are going after the Flame Champion, and knows a method by which he could be found. On the overworld map, the path the the Flame Champion Hideaway is open. Well, I guess we're going! I take a break at both the Great Hollow and the newly-opened Duck Village along the way.

Darigaaz, I came across at least three the "special encounters" on this trip. However, I manage to get to the cave. Ace wonders if the Flame Champion is really in a place like this, and Joker comments that it's better than being out in the open. The party makes it's way to a strange-looking circle in the ground, and Geddoe proclaims that this is it. He moves into the circle, and is teleported away!

Now alone, Geddoe proceedes forward. At the end the tunnel, there leads a door. Beyond which lies the inner sanctum, where Hugo, Chris, and Sana await. Sana and Geddoe exchange a few words, and the chapter ends.
Marrend
Last time we left off as Hugo of Kayara, we were sent by Jimba to go to Lake Castle. When we get there, Ceclie is strangely absent. The party makes their own comment about the place, but decide to seek out it's master. Guess I'm doing a few rounds, then!

After I'm done, I move toward the manor house. There, I see a Zexen Councilor talking to Thomas. The Councilor says his piece to Thomas, as then moves out. He notices Hugo's party, and makes a comment. I've a choice here. One is to stay silent, and the other is to talk back. Now, Hugo's experience with Zexens has not been particularly positive, so, I figure it makes more sense to talk back.

The situation got a little heated. The amount of respect each side is showing each other is exactly zero. However, we do not get into a fight. They move along, and we are allowed to proceed into the manor house. Sebastian shoos us away, though, and I don't see a way around him to get to Thomas. I try to leave the castle, and get into a conversation with Ceclie. She runs off after Sgt. Joe asks about the caslte's master.

Apparently, Ceclie thinks we're some kind of trade envoy from Grasslands. She always jumps to conclusions, though, but are brought in to the manor house to Thomas' room. Of course, Thomas gets into an embarrassing situation as he learns that we are not here to open a shop, but to investigate rumors of the Fire Bringer. Thomas assures me that no Fire Bringer are here, and provides free lodging for the day. I choose to pay for the lodgings anyway. It's only 300 potch, and it's not like I can't set my money to whatever value I want.

Next morning, we hear some kind of sound outside. Lilly could have slept through it, were it not for her retainers, but, as long as she's awake, she comes with us. Apparently, the Zexens have surrounded the castle, with the Councilor from before leading them. Thomas pleads that they have done no crime to warrant such attention, but, the Councilor is adamant that this is a Zexen affair, and will handle the situation however he sees fit. He spots Hugo, and points out that we are the problem! One of the men comes forward, and recognizes Hugo, and that there's a warrant for his arrest for his escape from Vinay Del Zexay.

Things aren't looking to good for us. The place is surrounded by Zexens, and it's very unlikely they're going to let us waltz out the front door when there's a warrant on Hugo's head.

I move toward the manor house. If there is another way out of here, it's probably accessible from there. However, I find Thomas and his gang talking among themselves about the situation. Sebastian wants us to give ourselves over to the Zexens. Now, maybe it's just me, but, Hugo's presence is barely a factor in this situation. Hell, the Zexens just learned of it, themselves! No, the real issue here is that the Zexen Council considers this castle "theirs", despite records saying otherwise, and that Thomas is attempting to open businesses here without Council approval. In other words, politics.

Actually, this links to what Salome was saying in Geddoe's Chapter 3. The Council is looking to form a treaty with Harmonia. So, they probably feel they have to clamp down on a place like Lake Castle. That the records indicate that it's common land for both Zexen and Grasslands is a point of irrelevancy. They have taken a claim to Lake Castle, and are disregarding any claim Grasslands may have, or whatever old treaty there might have been. They want to prove that they are worthy allies, but still be able to hold what turf they can against the Harmonians, or whatever threat might arise. Thus, loosing Lake Castle to a small revolt would not look good for them!

I go up front to talk the the Zexens. They shoo me away regardless of how I respond. Go figure. When I go back to talk to Thomas, the situation is looking pretty grim. However, we do have a little help.

So, Apple was, like, 10 in Suikoden, maybe 16 in Suikoden 2? Now she's like... I don't even know.

Caesar explains what we need to do. The force surrounding Lake Castle is only there to intimidate, and is not a strike force. He thinks the regular army will eventually come, but, we need to get Hugo and his company out of here. He reminds us that the only pretense that Zexen has for surrounding Lake Castle is to search for Hugo. Once he leaves, Zexen will not have that pretense, and be forced to withdraw. At least for now. I'm sure the Council will be able to find another pretense to serve it's purpose in due time.

At any rate, we talk to Caesar one more time. We're ready to do our thing, but, Hugo wants to know why Thomas is helping us, despite his ties to Zexen. Caesar tells us we can ask him ourselves. I make toward the inn to rest and save first, but have a small run-in with Thomas. He says he's quite busy (go fig), and moves along. I consider going towards the manor house to have that talk with Thomas, but, I end up deciding to go visit the inn anyway. There's a bit of an event here, but it's more of a lead-in to Hugo visiting Thomas that night. While Thomas has ties to Zexen by virtue of his father being on the Council (!?), his mother was from the Outlands, and lived with her most his life. Thus, he doesn't particularly feel like a "Zexen". However, more than that, he just wants a place where both Grasslanders and Zexens are treated as equals.

The next morning, Lilly is oversleeping again. However, she's in our active party (as well as Samus and Reed), so, we're good to go. I go to Caesar, and tell him I'm ready to go on his signal. The game switches to a war battle map, but, I can do nothing here. When Hugo's unit finally shows up, it switches back to Lake Castle, with Caesar and Apple joining as Guests. When I reach the overworld map, the game automatically takes me to the Yaza Plains. The encounters here are all Zexen generics, and feel more or less as a replacement of what encounters I would normally come across here in their frequency. Though, they might occur a bit more often than normal. Could be just me.

When I leave the first screen, Apple and Caesar leave the party, as for Lilly and her company, they are out of both leads and money. I go towards the Great Hollow to make a report to Jimba. At least, I figure that's where he'd be. When I get to the main cave, the Tinto trio leave the party. They say they're going to Brass Castle, which might be where we want to go to advance the plot. However, this seems like a good place to give the plot a rest and go recruit some meeples!

On this chapter's list, we have Guillaume, Kidd, Kathy, Mamie, Billy, Belle, Gadget Z, Landis, Emily, Arthur, Goro, Melville, Elliot, Alanis, and Hortez VII. Darigaaz, that's huge!

I find Guillaume in the middle of the Ancient Highway, where we met Green Bishop and his posse in Hugo's Chapter 2. We need to duel this guy to get him to join us. It's awkward. I've dueled this guy on three separate occasions now, but, he's not a character you put into the party. He's a support character that also runs the appraiser. Anyway, we get to Duck Village, where we meet Hortez VII. We can't recruit him now, but we direct him to Lake Castle... only for him to show up someplace else. I forget where right now. We're mostly here to pick up Kidd, the detective. The sequence to recruit him is a bit silly, as it involves a so-called "murder case" that turns out that the "victim" was merely practicing yoga.

That out of the way, I can visit the items shop here for Mamie, and can go to the Plains Amur - North for Kathy. I would need to double-back to Lake Castle for Billy, but, Belle, as we know from an earlier screenshot, is in Brass Castle.

Billy is largely considered a "problem character" because you need to win at his mini-game to recruit him. If you loose, he takes the "S" statue on display, and you have to place a new one for him to come back. Of course, I can save-state scum, but, generally, it can be a pain to recruit him because he's not a more "regular" gambling situation of "win X potch from me".

As a side note, nobody plays Chinchineron in this game. Damn shame.
Marrend
There's a bit of an event when we get to the eastern shop-screen of Brass Castle where Belle normally is. She's not there right now, so, it looks like I need to move further in to either find Lilly and her goons entourage, or...

...these two. We overhear them talking about trying to find the Flame Champion, and Hallec notices us. After Hallec gives us a smelling over (don't ask), Leo and Roland come out of the gate! There's a chance to fight them, but, I choose to run. Besides, Mua and Hallec have joined me, and need their fill of Stat Stones.

So, we're locked out of Brass Castle, and thus, getting Belle and Gadget Z. At least, for the moment. I head to the Great Hollow for two reasons. One is to do what I can with armor and skills. The other is to find Apple being surrounded by Lizards who are highly suspicious of her. Let's see what's up, shall we?

Apple is looking for help in regards to Chisha Village, as it's under attack by Harmonian forces! Caesar is there already, but, Apple's not sure if what help he can give is enough. Hugo agrees to go to Chisha Village, and the party follows. We go tell Luce what we're up to. Hugo tells her that he's been thinking about things since the attack on the village, and that he wants to follow the Flame Champion's footsteps. Luce isn't his mother, but is still proud of him. Which would be good...

Ow-wow-wow-wow!

...if she can learn how to restrain herself a bit more. Geeze, Luce!

When I get to the overworld map, the way to Chisha Village and Caleria open up. Thanks, Apple! I need both of those places for Hortez VII! However, I hop by Brass Castle first, and I am not immediately ejected from the place. Hey, maybe I can pick up Belle and Gadget Z now? SWEEEET!

My next recruit is Landis. He's one of the more annoying characters to recruit, since there's no indication that he actually joins you, and there's a very specific area in Kuput Forest where he can join. Kuput Forest happens to be our next destination for the plot (as well as where we recruit Emily), but, I make a rest-stop at Duck Village, anyway.

I will say two things about the place where you can find Landis. One, is that the area is two screens in after the entrance from Duck Village. Two, is that there's a place that looks exactly like that screen. It's the second screen in from the Chisha Village side. I don't know if he can actually be recruited in either place, but, I stick around the fork-area where I'm supposed to be to get him for a spell. He joins at about 5 or 6 levels above Hugo, but, I still feed him Stat Stones because what the hey, he's in my party.

When we reach Chisha, it looks like the Harmonians have already taken over. Apple argues that it's not too late, but we must still act quickly. I move forward towards some Harmonian guards, and engage them! With them out of the way, we get a much clearer picture of what's going... on?

I mean, Hugo might not recognize her from here, as she's not wearing her armor, but, that's totally Chris down there! We go a bit further in, and encounter another Harmonian contingent. After we clear 'em out, there's a short scene before we get control again, only to go further into the village. The next encounter is against Mantors, and Mantor Riders. We clear them out, and the Harmonian force withdraws afterwards. The town's regular music...

...fires up, so we know we've cool with the village. However, there's an event further in with Caesar and Chris. Now that we're up close and personal, the two recognize each other.

Both her portrait and the actual face she's making sell this moment.

Now, I have the option to strike her, but, I choose to question her instead. Chris doesn't answer him, of course. Hugo doesn't understand why she's here, and doesn't know her motives for saving this village, but he assumes that she doesn't mean well. However, both Nash and Sgt. Joe step in to say that there's more to this situation than Hugo realizes.

Chris has now moved on, and Sana's near the inn Sana's probably my next plot-event, but, before I talk to her, there's some business to take care of. First and foremost, I talk to Hortez VII to get him to appear in Caleria later on. There's something of an underground tavern that connects the two shops where one can find Emily. She challenges me to an arm-wrestling match, which I win, then she's off to Lake Castle.

Hrm. Talking to Sana didn't seem to advance the story. Trying to leave the village does, however. There's two men we recognize here from the Ancient Highway that was with the Green Bishop. The man in the white coat is merely doing some reconnaissance, but the man in black is looking for Chris. She's not here right now, and he makes an off comment about how cowardice is contagious in Grasslands. Hugo stands forward, and challenges him. The man in black isn't particularly interested, but is "open to new experiences".

This is a duel in the AI's favor in that I cannot win it. It's the same as when I was up against Guillaume as Melville back in Hugo's Chapter 1. Anyway, after the duel, Hugo wakes up with Sgt. Joe berating him a bit. Hugo still can't get over his ineffectiveness in regards to protecting Lulu, and continues to question why Chris defended the village. Sana talks to him a bit, and they talk about the Flame Champion, but, the Harmonian force has returned. Well, gee, I guess we're just going to have to kick their butts again!

Caesar's plan is to use Hugo as a false Flame Champion at least until the reinforcements from Grasslands arrive. Sure. We can play the part of a hero.

Apple is aware of an agreement between Harmonia and Grasslands, but Caesar is not. They do their best to pass off Hugo as Regor, but, when the Hamonians ask for proof that Hugo is Regor, they almost give up. They probably figure that the proof they are looking for is the True Fire Rune. Hugo, however, is not going to give up so easily. He boasts that the carcass of one of their men should be sufficient enough proof, and asks for an opponent. When no volunteers come forward, Sasarai himself decides to come forward.

Thankfully, this is a duel I can, and do, win. His retainer, Dios, is fearful of the possibility that Hugo actually is Regor, but Sasarai knows better. However, Kayaran forces arrive, and the Harmonians are force to withdraw yet again.

There's a small celebration afterwards, and Hugo uses it as an opportunity to finish his conversation with Sana. She tells him how to find the Flame Champion. The next morning, I leave the village, and Lucia almost gives Hugo a hug before he leaves, but, he backs way from her. Was he thinking about Luce?

Anyway, the path to the Flame Champion Hideaway is open, but, geeze, there's still so many stars to recruit! My next recruit, Arthur, is in Brass Castle. After that is Goro in Zexen Forest, then Melville and Elliot in Vinay Del Zexay.

Whew! Now, I still need to get Alanis at the Great Hollow, and Hortez VII, who's... well, right now he's on the other side of the world map from Vinay Del Zexay! Even then, that's not the location I recruit him at! Still, this is plenty for today.
Marrend
Since Hugo doesn't get access to Lake Castle until this chapter, they give him a party-switcher in the Great Hollow. Which I use to put Melville and Elliot into the party. There is absolutely a special scene if they are in the party when you recruit Alanis in the Great Hollow.

Heartwarming as ever, though, this is the last time we see this.

I still have to go to Caleria to activate Hortez VII's next event. Landis still hasn't leveled yet. If that treasure boss on the Mountain Path doesn't do it, I will be surprised.

Not quite! He's 8 EXP off! That's soon enough, though. Anyway, I find Hortez VII in the back with the trainer and Geddoe's storage facility. I direct him to Lake Castle, but he's going to show up in Duck Village instead. That's... exactly where he started from. UUUUUGGGGGHH.

I visit the shops for inventory and selling off crap from the treasure boss, rest at the inn, then shove off to Duck Village. He's in the exact same place as before, and the conversation is exactly as it was before, save for an extra option of "Lie about location". Which I choose to recruit him.

Of course, it's pretty convenient that Duck Village is on the way to the Flame Champion's Hideaway, and there's no further recruits. I might as well make that journey.

When we enter, Sgt. Joe makes his own comment about this cave. We move along the same path Geddoe took, and find the same teleporter. Hugo's whisked away to a tunnel, the end of which he finds Sana and Chris waiting for him. Sana takes him to see Regor, but... something's not right. Where is he? Just then, somebody else (ie: Geddoe) comes by, and the chapter ends.

As a side-note, with Thanksgiving coming up, there's a possibility that I will not have an update until Friday.
Zakariya
It is worth the wait if you ask me. :3
Marrend
Last time we left off as Chris, she wandered into Grasslands with Nash to find out about her father. Her Chapter 3 starts in Duck Village, and Nash wants to find a guide. Chris finds this highly ironic, but is in no position to complain too much.

Before I get too much further into this plot, I hop over to the inn to recruit Sanae Y. Not even three steps forward, we come across Fred and Rico. Fred asks if we met before. Well, yes, we have, but, Chris is supposed to be undercover. However, if I choose to lie (and I did), Rico recognizes Chris, so, this choice ultimately doesn't matter. Consider these two recruited!

Sanae Y is not in her usual spot, but, I find her quick enough, and recruit her without further issues. Now, unless my memory is completely off, I should get two Duck Clan guides that join my party on a temporary basis. I suppose I should get them into my party before it becomes Stat Stone time. However, I will now note the other characters I've got on my list that Chris can recruit this chapter: Wan Fu, Barts, Estella, Rody, and Nadir.

So, before Rhett and Wilder will join me, they want an okay from the village chief. Which would be fine if they told me a better way to identify him than sporting the "best tail feathers" in the village. Nash asks how we distinguish one Duck from another, and Chris tells him he's asking the wrong person. Thankfully for us, he's wondering on the road connecting to the trading post, and get his permission... somehow. They doesn't show us the conversation, and that's okay.

Now with a full party, we can give our newbies some Stat Stones, then shove off to Chisha and recruit Wan Fu! There's a bit of a scene when we get there, and another one about half way between the entrance and the village proper. There's a pair of women here that ask for introductions. Given the choices...

...there is only one response here, and that's the one highlighted. Didn't think it would be Chris that gets this! Anyway, those two are from Alma Kinan. Our Duck guides think it's a big deal, but, nobody else in the party really gets why they're excited. Though, apparently, one of them, Yun, knew I was coming, and is also expecting someone else to come along. Given the events of Hugo's Chapter 3, I'm thinking their waiting for Sasarai and Dios. However, I can almost swear that she said that she was waiting for "her" to arrive, which makes my mind jump to Sarah and the Green Bishop. I guess we'll see!

We go up the road to meet with Sana. Yun talks more about her gift to see the future, and the village comes under attack by Mantor Riders. Chris thinks we'd best leave, but, I've an opportunity to go to the armorer and general store, and even recruit Wan Fu. However, let's see what happens when I try to leave the village.

Of course, there's a cut-scene there between Franz and Sana. Franz declares that this village is now under the jurisdiction of Harmonia under the pretext of searching for the Fire Bringer. They have no wish to harm the villagers, but, it kinda sounds like terms for surrender before there is even a fight. Sana cannot agree to that, despite the fact that Chisha Village does not have it's own warriors, and rubs a little salt into the wound.

Franz is angered, and readies his weapon. There's a choice here to ignore the threat, or to defend Sana. I choose to defend Sana. Which, of course, leads to a fight. After we win, the Mantor riders withdraw. Chris notes that this isn't even close to being over, and expects a larger force to come later on. Still, Sana thanks Chris for her efforts all the same. The women from Alma Kinan leave the party, as do our Duck guides. The music is back on track, so, this feels like a great time to recruit Wan Fu!

Apparently, I could have recruited Barts first. It's a treck-and-a-half to get to Iksay Village, but, eh, what can one do at this point? There's a bit of a scene when I try to leave Chisha, but, that's not going to stop me! I succeed to recruit Barts, and I figure there's no reason to not stop by Lake Castle for a few rounds there.

Rather that go straight back to Chisha, I consider taking my party to Caleria to recruit Nadir. My notes say that he wants a party of three men, two women, and a child. Thankfully, I can switch party members at Lake Castle to make sure I have the right party. Let me tell you what, hoofing it from Lake Castle to Caleria only to find out that I can't recruit Nadir would just plain suck.

With him recruited, I head back to Chisha Village. When I get there, I see the two women from Alma Kinan. If I went straight for them, I might have gotten into an event, but, I was able to get to the inn to save/rest via the underground paths that connect the shops. When I do meet with them, they request that they join me to go back to Duck Village for additional help with protecting the village. Sure. Why not?

Turns out Rhett and Wilder re-join me, with Fred and Rico staying behind to protect the village. I thought those Ducks were already gone? Oh well. Anyway, Rhett and Wilder part ways when we arrive at Duck Village, and Yun senses that the people we are searching for is near.

Ten potch says it's these two.

I'm not exactly sure who Apple and Caesar are looking for, but, Yun seems to think she can help them find... whoever it is they are searching for. Caesar will follow me to Chisha while Apple does her own thing. Such as going to the Great Hollow to fetch Hugo and company. Looks like we're back to Chisha! When I'm about to leave Rhett and Wilder re-join me. Huh. Didn't quite expect that, but, I'm grateful.

When we get to Chisha, there's a bit of an event here with Ceasar, Fred, and Sana. Caesar's plan is for us to hold out until the auxiliary troops that Apple's bringing come by. I think we can manage that.

This war battle, the win condition is to survive an unspecified number of turns without loosing Chris' unit, or the main base. The enemy appears at the front of the village, but, the areas in the back seem conspicuously unguarded. However, I order everybody to hold their ground. The first wave of attacks was pretty one-sided. Fred's unit barely took any damage at all while Rhett and Wilder took the brunt of the assault. However, the enemies almost lost one unit, and the other two took heavy casualties. I do not press my advantage, and continue to hold position, though. Next round, Sasarai's unit come onto the field, and bolts Chris' unit. No other attacks are made. Next round, Sasarai bolts Nash's unit, and the subsequent attack by Dios brings them close to death, but not quite! Nash's unit manages to wipe out Dios unit that turn, though. Mantor units arrive on the scene during my turn, but, they are forced to withdraw thanks to Sana and the village burning of some mixture that Mantors loathe. During the enemy's next turn, Hugo's party comes by and the battle is more or less won for me!

We see the familiar scene from Hugo's Chapter 3, but we see Chris talk with Nash afterwards. Sgt. Joe apparently had a talk with Chris, and amidst the conversation, straight-up asks if she killed the chief of the Lizard Clan. She denies it, because, well, she didn't, and he believes her, rattling on about not believing every rumor you hear. After that, it takes a bit of convincing, but, we decide to go to Alma Kinan Village.
The fated choice finally happened. It's been awhile since I touched this game so it's a surprise to me that chris got it as well. I was expecting geddoe to get it

@Caesar: we don't need your conspiracy grassland theories. Tell the audience what we really want to know. Explain to us how apple looks as she does.
Zakariya
This game's art style is most...interesting. XD

@Marrend

Continue when you're ready, I am slowly developing an addiction to it.... XP
Marrend
On the way to Alma Kinan, we come across Yuber. That's the guy in black that was with Sarah and Green Bishop, and has been a thorn in our side in both Suikoden and Suikoden 2. Apparently, he knows there's a seal for the True Water Rune somewhere around here. We stop him from doing what he wants. At least for now.

Alma Kinan is filled with mysterious people...

...in more ways than one. However, the people we can recruit here (Estella and Rody) aren't quite here yet. I visit the shops then go to Yuiri's house. There, they speak of an incident that occurred 50 years ago where the power of the True Fire Rune went out of control, and made a great blaze that killed numerous warriors on both sides of that war. The flame lasted for days on end. The force that Yuber is with seeks to destroy a True Rune.

Think about that for a bit. If this tale from 50 years ago occurred via a True Rune going out of control, the catastrophe that would occur if a True Rune is destroyed would be unimaginable.

As such, Chris can't believe that the intent is to destroy a True Rune. What possible gain can their be in such massive destruction? She must think on this on her own for a bit. Thankfully, there's a little clearing in the back of the town that looks like a perfect place for the next plot event thinking things over. Nash comes up while Chris is in thought, and they have an exchange. Nash reveals that he's a spy for Harmonia, trying to figure out if the movements of the Harmonian army are being manipulated, as well as the movements of Grasslands and Zexen. The "destructive force" that includes Yuber may have some involvement in it, he believes. Chris' intention of coming here wasn't to involve herself in such matters, though. Her sole intention is to find out about her father.

As if on cue, Yun comes by, and tells her that her father is still alive. The scene cuts to Geddoe's prologue, with Regor speaking to his two close friends. The flashback doesn't give out any names other than Regor's, but, we already know that Geddoe was one of those close friends. After the flashback, the game reveals the identity of other close friend of Regor: Chris' father, Wyatt Lightfellow.

That night, Chris awakens to find a contingent of villagers. She questions Yuiri what all the fuss is about, and she answers that they are preparing for the ritual of soul-sending. When she mentions that they sacrifice a person, her mind thinks back to when she first met Yun, and what she said about her second-to-last task. Chris puts the pieces together, then goes to ask why they're doing such a thing. Yuiri counters with a question of her own: Do you not make sacrifices for Zexen? Chris' answer?

Yun comes by, and requests to speak with Chris alone. Their exchange is heartfelt: Yun considers herself lucky to die with having her purpose fulfilled, while Chris speaks about how the title of "hero" was placed on her, and how she loathes the expectations placed upon her from that title. However, the time of the ritual is nigh. There is nothing Chris can say or do to sway the Alma Kinan. However, Yuber crashes the party (as it were), and brings Sarah and Green Bishop with him. A fight ensues!

We manage to defeat the trio, and prevent the True Water Rune from falling into their hands. They speak of one more seal, and they can "manage" if they can get to it, then leave. Next morning, Chris is approached by Rico. We go back to the ritual space to find Nash. We go up to the entrance of the village, where Yuiri gives us a map to the Flame Champion's Hideaway. Chris apologizes for her lack of respect for their ritual earlier, and Yuiri offers to give her a blessing for her journey ahead. Surprisingly, Chris accepts.

Have I mentioned lately how much I love Chris' expressions in this game?

While the events of Alma Kinan are done, my business there is not. Estella and Rody still need to be recruited! After I do so, I take a stop at Chisha Village to swap party members, then go off to the Flame Champion's Hideaway.

When we enter, Fred and Nash make a bit of commentary about the place. We push forward and find a depressed circle in the ground. Chris investigates it, and is whisked off to a tunnel. Despite not knowing where she is, Chris can only move forward, and finds Sana at the end of the tunnel.

Sana welcomes Chris, not as chief of Chisha Village, but as the wife of the Flame Champion. Of course, Chris asks if he's here, and Sana says that she'll show her the way. Yes, Sana shows Chris to Regor, but something's not quite right here. The game fades to black as the chapter closes.
Marrend
A young man by the name of Thomas approaches a well-worn castle. As he does so, he is approached by a young lady dressed in armor by the name of Cecile. She has been informed that the castle is getting a new master, and has orders not to let anybody suspicious in. Thomas wonders if he really looks that suspicious, and the guard answers that it's not really her say. However, Thomas points out that he is the new master, at which point, Cecile apologizes, and brings him to see the castle's butler, Sebastian.

We go into the manor house to meet with Sebastian. The butler has his own doubts about Thomas being the new master, but, he's got proof enough. Thomas is in for a bit of surprise on his own part when he finds out that the seven or so people in the room are the only residents of the castle!

The next morning, we meet Sebastian in the main hall of the manor house. Thomas is a little confused about what it means to be a master of a castle. Settling differences is certainly one aspect, but, Sebastian made a comment about the castle's domain. Hrm. Anyway, he suggested we go about the place, and introduce ourselves. Didn't we just do that? Oh well.

We head upstairs to meet with the librarian. He's not particularly talkative. We then head downstairs and into the basement to talk to the guy in charge of the warehouse. He talks a bit about how the chief has left, and that Sebastian has taken to cooking. Back up the stairs, then go outside to talk to the lottery vendor. Her business hasn't been that great since the last master left three years ago. There's a fortune teller in a tent not far from the lottery that we visit. We ask if fortune-telling is a kind of magic, and the old guy just laughs. We go over to Cecile's position at the main gate and speak with her.

There's a bit of a flashback here in regards to Thomas, and how he got here. His mother gave him a letter to present to... well, the textbox says "Council Member", so it's somebody on the Zexen Council. Anyway, the guy wants nothing to do with Thomas, and gets him out of the way by making him the master of Budehuc Castle. Great guy, eh?

With the cut-scene out of the way, we go down the hill to meet with the trainer. He's a particularly lazy person that doesn't seem to care too much about the new master of Budehuc Castle. Then again, since the original master left three years ago, there's been three masters, and none of them lasted more than a month. That's about everybody as far as we can recall, so, we report back to Sebastian. We find out that the good butler has forgotten to write a letter to Zexen confirming our appointment. We take it upon ourselves to deliver the message to Brass Castle. We take Cecile with us on the journey, and thus comes our first decent opportunity to apply Stat Stones.

As nobody else in the castle seems willing to join us on this venture, we go to Brass Castle. This is the first time Cecile's been here, and does not know who is to receive this letter. However, as we try to enter the central area of Brass Castle, we have a little run-in with Leo. He's never heard of Budehuc Castle, but, figures we should see Salome. Inside, we meet Roland, who tells us Salome's upstairs, but might be too busy to see us with preparations for the war against Grasslands. News of a surprise attack by the Lizard Clan makes Cecile give a comment, but we must move on. Once upstairs, we watch as Lady Chris walk by with Louis, then continue on our way, but not before both Thomas and Cecile fawn over Chris in their own way.

Finally, we get the event with Salome. Thomas is now in the clear, but Cecile is another matter. She took the position of commander of the guard after her father passed away, but, she was never officially recognized as such. Thomas asks if he couldn't appoint her, as master of the castle. Salome considers aloud: Under normal circumstances, a commander of the guard must be appointed by the Zexen Council, but, under extreme circumstances, the castle's master may make that appointment. Salome's going to work his end for us on this issue, and we are very appreciative of this.

There's a bit more business to take care of here, but, after that, we return to Budehuc Castle. Cecile is ready to go back to work, but young Thomas does not share her energy, and wishes to rest. He looks for Sebastian in the main hall, but he is nowhere to be found. He wakes the next morning, and notes that he still hasn't seen Sebastian yet. We find him in the courtyard just outside the manor house, speaking to a woman. Her child has went missing, and wants us to find him.

While we cannot send out a proper search party, we will do what we can. Both Cecile, and Piccolo, the Namek fortune-teller come with Thomas in an effort to find the missing child. We search with no success, but, Juan seems to think he's somewhere in the vicinity of Mt. Hei-Tou. It's the best lead we've got, and Juan seems willing enough to go with us.

Of course, we conduct a bit of business at Brass Castle and Vinay Del Zexay before we shove off to Mt. Hei-Tou. I thought we should aim for the treasure boss, but, the party ran away in a cut-scene. There was a dead end I found as Geddoe earlier, and sure enough, I found the missing child there as well as a boar I had to fight. With the child saved, we return to Budehuc Castle to get a heartwarming scene.

Fast forward to a week later. Thomas is looking for Sebastian again. Nobody I ask has any ideas, but, I find him when I get back inside the manor house. The poor butler's been working the books, and doing his best to make ends meet, but, there's only so much he can do, and suggests laying off some of the staff to cut the expenses. Thomas doesn't like that idea, so, he wants everybody to gather together in the courtyard to figure out some way to get some income to the castle. Cecile recalls a time when the castle was livelier, and there were all kinds of shops. Opening a store ourselves would require approval by the Zexen Council, though, and unless we can give them some incentive (ie: bribe them), the process would either take too long, or be outright refused. Thomas has an interesting idea, though.

Of course, Sebastian thinks we can't pull this off. The Council will never allow such a thing! Martha, however, thinks that we can ignore the Zexen Council, as we're not strictly held to Zexen law. She believes there's a record that states that this castle is shared between Zexen and Grasslands. Sebastian is not aware of such a document, so we're off to Thomas' room to search for that record. It takes a bit of doing, but, we find the record. Thomas decides to open Budehuc Castle as a free-trade zone that has nothing to do with either Zexen or Grasslands, and wants everyone to spread the word!

When we get to the overworld map, a bunch of locations open up. You know what this means? We're Suiko-screwed. On this chapter's list, we have Mel, Augustine, Twaikin, and Kenji. However, we can leave that for another session!
Marrend
Our first stop is Iskay Village to pick up Mel. She's always interesting to recruit, because of her interactions with her maybe-not-actually-a-hand-puppet Branky. Not to mention...

...this, where she bangs Branky against a wall when he "gets rude". Our next stop is Great Hollow for Twaikin, though, we recruit Kenji on the Yaza Plains on the way there.

Before we swing by Vinay Del Zexay for Augustine, how 'bout we take a detour back to Budehuc Castle and rearrange the party, distribute Stat Stones, and all that good stuff? An arrival, one can't help but to notice that a number of shops have opened in the interim. Jeane's there, as is Gordon, Peggi, and Dominic. There is an event that gets triggered when we try to approach the manor house, so, we avoid going in to access the tutor there. Thankfully, there should be one in Brass Castle that we can use, but, that can be after recruiting Augustine.

So, what was that hubbub all about that one was avoiding, earlier? Apparently, Eike, the librarian has been missing for weeks. Thomas takes it upon himself to search for him as to allow the others to continue to conduct their business. He's nowhere to be found in the castle grounds, so... he must be elsewhere? Just as I try to leave, Shizu, an elevator operator comes by. Well, Budehuc's elevator could use some attention!

She tells us the elevator will be fix by tomorrow, and that she'd like to stay on to maintain it. Sounds like an auto-recruit fair to me! In the meanwhile, we can visit, say, Mt. Hei-Tou and maybe fight the treasure boss. Except the game still won't let us do that. Oh, well. I guess it's to the 'vader we go!

Shizu gives a pretty top-down tour with the elevator, now that it's in operation. Nobody recalls there being a floor below the second sub-level, so, maybe, Eike's here? It's worth looking around this place regardless, one might think.

We find a fork in the path, and Juan decides to take Piccolo and explore the left while everybody else goes to the right. Thomas might prefer everyone to stay together, but, Juan believes splitting up would be faster.

We come to a clearing in the cave, and have a premonition that there's somebody ahead. Cecile charges forth, and runs into... Juan and Piccolo? We dust ourselves off, and move along.

Though, how the hell Landis got down here is another question entirely.

To say nothing about how he got down here!

We find Eike reading of all things. Reading! He didn't mean to put us on alert, but, he easily looses track of time when he's down here. The mystery of his disappearances is solved well enough, and with that, the chapter closes.
Marrend
We start the chapter in a very much not-locked state. Not unlocked enough to fight treasure bosses, though. Can Thomas even do that? One must start to wonder!

I decide to go to Duck Village. There's absolutely no reason to do this, as there's no characters to recruit. I'm mostly doing it to see what inventory they can give Thomas and his team for the upcoming events.

Anyway, the next day, the castle has a visitor in the form of Lady Chris! Both Cecile and Sebastian are assuming the worst (can't really blame them), but it turns out that the good captain is willing to give a blind eye to the situation.

I notice Martha and Piccolo in the center of town, and get an event with them. This leads to Geddoe's scene when he enters Budehuc way the hell back in his Chapter 1. Two main characters down, one to go.

However, before we get there, we meet a Zexen Councilor in Iksay, asking us where Budehuc Castle is. I choose to tell him I don't know of such a castle. A blatant lie, of course, but, it gives me a bit more time to derp around. Apparently, while I cannot fight the treasure boss on Mt. Hei-Tou, I can fight the one in North Cavern.

The #1 reason I'm so keen on fighting treasure bosses can be summed into one word: Mel. She joined the group at level 32 when everybody else was... well, way lower than that. While this makes her a powerhouse (even more so, thanks to the Stat Stones), every single fight she's been in, even the treasure boss I fought in North Cavern, has given her 5 EXP. On the other hand, everybody in my party is a level or two shy of getting to level 20.

Back in Budehuc, Sebastian runs forward to inform me that a Zexen Councilor is supposed to be on his way. Gee, I hope that doesn't mean that the counter just started! I derp around the castle and re-visit Mt. Hei-Tou one more time before the Councilor comes knocking on our door. Of course, he has his say, and doesn't particularly care about whatever records we might have to prove that the land Budehuc is on is shared Zexen-Grasslands land. The guy wants to close all businesses, and basically shut down the place. We gonna allow that? Hell no! Do we have a plan that could counter the Zexens? Hell no!

Next morning, we hit the event where Zexen surrounds the castle, with everybody trapped inside. However, that includes Apple and Caesar. No clue how they got here, but, we're welcome to have them! There's a few events to view showing how preparations are going, but, after that, it's pretty much go time.

Remember how the battle at Budehuc Castle was entirely automated during Hugo's Chapter 3? Not so much here, but the same basic strategy of holding position can be applied.

While we won that battle, we know from Geddoe's Chapter 3 that it's not quite over yet. The new trouble comes in the form a visit from Leo and Percival. The Councilor that surrounded Budehuc is under investigation. However, that's the only good news they bring. The bad news is that the Council is going to "review" the ownership of the land (only to "decide" that it belongs to Zexen, no doubt) and that Thomas is to stand down as the castle's master as of noon tomorrow. Thomas can't believe that his own father had anything do to with that decision, but, apparently, he's been disowned. Great way to start a day, eh?

Once more, the people of Budehuc Castle gather 'round the courtyard to discuss what they're going to do. They ultimately have no clue, and it feels like Thomas is going to give up, despite working so damn hard getting this castle to be where it is.

However, Thomas just can't sleep tonight! There's probably several reasons for this, but, he wanders the castle one last time as it's master. In the library, he finds Ekie researching the common land issue. As he goes downstairs to the main hall, he meets Sebastian. Apparently, he wanted to prepare the journal for tomorrow, despite how Thomas must leave tomorrow. Thomas finds Muto working on a wall between the tavern and the plot-lock-down war room. Thomas finds Cecile just outside his room. They talk about how he came to be master of Budehuc, and that he only came to Vinay Del Zexay to see his father after his mother died. However, as we saw earlier in Thomas' Chapter 1, Thomas' father wanted nothing to do with the young man, and now, he's disowned him. Kinda rough.

Next morning comes. Thomas is ready to go with Leo and Percival. Of course, Cecile has a few words to say about that...

You'll take Thomas over my dead body!

...as do Muto and Sebastian. As for Thomas...

...he puts his foot down for a change! The two leave peacefully enough, and we get the opportunity to rename the castle!

The funny thing about this is that I don't remember what I usually name this castle. I can remember "Regor" because of a former novel/game idea from long ago (not to mention that it's "Roger" spelled backwards), but the castle? I guess I'll go with "Arual" (aka: "Laura" spelled backwards), as that's also a reference to that novel/game idea from ages past.

A new day dawns on Aural Castle. The Zexens are approaching. We are not concerned. We are following the plan Caesar left for us to follow.

This war battle is similar to the one before, in that our objective is to survive. I didn't change units around, so Thomas had four guys in his group, and the enemy could not get past him at all. The recovery at the beginning of each turn didn't hurt either!

When the time comes, we retreat into the castle itself, and things are looking a lot like Geddoe's Chapter 3. However, we finally learn what Caesar's plan was, and what all the hullabaloo is about in regards to Arual being Grasslans.

Zexen cannot invade Grasslands without a sanction from the Council, and must therefore withdraw. Thus, is Arual Castle saved! As the celebrations of the victory commence, the chapter closes.
Zakariya
That is most...interesting? o_0
Pages: first prev 123 next last