PRESIDENT TRUMP

harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=Blindmind
There was a very real, tangible basis for a demagogue like Trump to appear, that some liberals underestimate. He appealed to the mounting populist outcry, their working-class struggle, and in some cases, the rejection of multiculturalism in America. By comparison, Hillary had almost zero appeal for true liberals, progressives, and populist working-class. They simply didn't buy into her schtick.

Wow BM I uh.... didn't expect this level of candor I gotta admit. Well said.
Okay I heard that he plans on making a creationist the head of education, a climate change denier in charge of the EPA, and the CEO of Breitbrat a chief of staff. Is this for real?

USA's in for a rough ride if you believe in evidence based decision making.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
He's also named a bonafide oil baron, and a partner of the Koch Bros. as his energy advisor.
Jeezus crist, its like the prologue of some made for TV movie for tweens with that cadre of crackpot villainy. How do we summon Captain Planet again?
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Someone said it would be like electing Al Capone president. I disagree. I wouldn't vote for Capone, but he would actually, probably make a good president. I cringe to think what Trump's going to do. He's already announced that his first order of business is to dissolve the peace treaty Obama made with Iran.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
author=harmonic

We all saw what happened the other night. You say we live in a bubble and turned a blind eye to everything, but I live in the heart of the Rust Belt. My family is exactly the kind of disaffected manufacturing demographic Trump should have appealed to. You know that I myself was unemployed for many years. I know exactly how they feel. Many people in my family voted Trump. I think they were, very, very wrong to do so, and are going to be betrayed, but I understand why.

However, that does not change the fact that Trump has vowed to hurt a lot of people. It was a major core of his campaign rhetoric, it has been validated by his election, and now those who voted for him will expect him to make good on it. The people he now surrounds himself with suggest to me he intends to follow through on these threats and there are very few checks on his power to do so. There are many scared people out there now. Rightly. It is incumbent on us to refuse to allow this kind of hate and violence to be normalized.
*pulls off mask*

"Gasp! It's old man Trump! He was the one haunting the White House all along!"

"And I would've gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you meddling millenials!" *shakes tiny fists*
At least there's a silver lining : The Republicans are going to be absolutely destroyed in the 2018 elections, and 2020 may well be their last entry in the history books.

I was more worried they would lay low, doing some harmful but not too harmful things, and chip away at the Free World quietly. Maybe a little shock therapy is in order, and no, not for the homosexuals, Mr. Pence.
author=kentona
Okay I heard that he plans on making a creationist the head of education, a climate change denier in charge of the EPA, and the CEO of Breitbrat a chief of staff. Is this for real?

USA's in for a rough ride if you believe in evidence based decision making.
author=pianotm
He's also named a bonafide oil baron, and a partner of the Koch Bros. as his energy advisor.

author=pianotm
Someone said it would be like electing Al Capone president. I disagree. I wouldn't vote for Capone, but he would actually, probably make a good president. I cringe to think what Trump's going to do. He's already announced that his first order of business is to dissolve the peace treaty Obama made with Iran.

Is it okay to scream now? :/

That said, I am super happy to see the compassion in this thread - vilifying Trump supporters doesn't help anybody. You guys are great. <3
Solitayre
author=Dyhalto
At least there's a silver lining : The Republicans are going to be absolutely destroyed in the 2018 elections

Doubtful.

and 2020 may well be their last entry in the history books.

People keep saying this and then a few months later they control every branch of government. That said, Trump is going to have some explaining to do in four years when there's no wall and the jobs he promised aren't there.

Bring back manufacturing? Trump doesn't even manufacture most of his own clothing line here. Punish China and tear up NAFTA? He may as well have promised the moon. If he can deliver without cratering the world economy all I can do is give him a thumbs up.

I doubt he ever intended to do any of it. On election day even his own team was pretty sure he'd lost. I honestly think his plan was for Clinton to win and he'd spend the next four years saying 'told ya so!" Now he actually has to be president. It must have been the shock of his life.

I was more worried they would lay low, doing some harmful but not too harmful things, and chip away at the Free World quietly. Maybe a little shock therapy is in order, and no, not for the homosexuals, Mr. Pence.

Trump carries vendettas and fantasizes about what he'd like to do to people who have slighted him. This man having control of the NSA is a very Not-Good Thing. But it seems like his favorite thing to do is complain about how he is the most powerful man in the world with almost unchecked government control but everyone's being mean. he's likely to spend the next four years being pouty and miserable when he finds out he's not allowed to just be a dictator.

But the people around him are going to do as much damage to democratic institutions as possible. Mike Pence? Joe Arpaio? We basically elected the Legion of Doom. when they do damage it won't be subtle.
author=Solitayre
author=harmonic
We all saw what happened the other night. You say we live in a bubble and turned a blind eye to everything, but I live in the heart of the Rust Belt. My family is exactly the kind of disaffected manufacturing demographic Trump should have appealed to. You know that I myself was unemployed for many years. I know exactly how they feel. Many people in my family voted Trump. I think they were, very, very wrong to do so, and are going to be betrayed, but I understand why.

They will be betrayed, without any doubt. Trump struck a cord with that demographic - but 95% of it was entirely hollow. Most of those manufacturing jobs are NEVER returning to the United States in the way he so eagerly boasts about. Automation, technology, and simply our "new" economy is not going away, nor is multiculturalism. Entire industries and labor-driven jobs will continue to vanish or significantly change, without having any kind of clear successor.

His isolationist, "back to basics" point-of-view has a clear appeal for people who feel disenfranchised (similarly to Bernie), a lot of families in rural/white America...but his campaign is entirely devoid of actual solutions. This is where liberals need to reach across the line, try to empathize with the existential fears, and come up with real answers.

Solitayre
author=Gourd_Clae
That said, I am super happy to see the compassion in this thread - vilifying Trump supporters doesn't help anybody. You guys are great. <3

Oh, there are bad Trump supporters. Not all of them are bad, but the bad ones are there. If the KKK is holding parades honoring the new President, we done fucked up.

We do not have to have compassion or empathy for those people nor do we have to give breathing room to their politics. It would be shameful for us to do so. Trump has invited white nationalism back into public discourse and government. Make noise at your local political levels to make sure none of these assholes sneak into power while we're distracted trying to deal with the asshole who somehow co-opted the entire government.
Sure you don't have to. But I have no clue why you'd suggest that empathy and compassion are impossible at the same time as disagreeing with them or preventing them from advancing farther.

In my opinion, the shameful thing is to choose not to try and understand or to show compassion. The only difference between what we're saying is you want people to act, but without compassion. That's not how you make wrong things right.
Solitayre
author=Gourd_Clae
Sure you don't have to. But I have no clue why you'd suggest that empathy and compassion are impossible at the same time as disagreeing with them or preventing them from advancing farther.

In my opinion, the shameful thing is to choose not to try and understand or to show compassion.

We don't owe people an open mind on the subject of hurting people.
I mean to them as people - not about them hurting others.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Specifically, we need to be able to have a discussion about how people are being harmed by many of Trump's actions, how many of his campaign promises will harm even more, and how a head of state saying horribly bigoted things can have very real effects on its citizens.

We need to have these discussions with anyone who will listen; not just people who already understand, not just people who already agree.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=Dyhalto
At least there's a silver lining : The Republicans are going to be absolutely destroyed in the 2018 elections, and 2020 may well be their last entry in the history books.

Welp, this attitude is what got you Trump in the first place. (Other than incessant SJWs) By all means, I implore you to remain complacent and comfortable :)
Kloe
I lost my arms in a tragic chibi accident
author=pianotm
Someone said it would be like electing Al Capone president. I disagree. I wouldn't vote for Capone, but he would actually, probably make a good president.

Al Capone is cool in movies. Also he was hard to make any charges stick until they got him on tax returns. Maybe the same will happen to Trump?
Sadly Trump doesn't have the really cool mobster accent or the black and white movies or the mobster hat...
I think one thing this election showed very clearly is how corrupt the media is. All the polls showing Clinton winning? They probably asked groups they knew liked Clinton, or just changed the results to their liking. This whole "Silent Majority" schtick is bullshit damage control.

There's no fucking way they couldn't have gotten results that showed Trump would win if they had done their work properly, and the headlines after Trump won shows just how all-in they were with Clinton. "How do I tell my daughter we elected a racist, sexist bully", "US election rigged against Hillary Clinton", "An American tragedy", etc etc.

This is why I never ever trust the media on anything political, they play very clear favourites. And people know it too, it's like journalists live in this bubble and people are getting real tired of getting the same middle class leftist opinion showed down their throats by the media. I think that's as much to blame for people not reading the paper (on internet or in actual paper form) as anything else.

I sincerely hope this teaches the media a lesson, but judging by the crybaby reaction from the media it doesn't look like they'll be changing any time soon.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Hahahahahaha, leftist. Good one. As if such a thing even exists in America.

Look, even Fox News predicted Clinton would win. Surely you're not going to claim Fox News is middle class leftist media?

A statistical survey like a poll is an extremely complex thing, and now matter how many people you poll, you will always just have to: A) Trust the results people are giving you are true. B) Trust the results people are giving you are independent. C) Trust that the 95% confidence interval that results from your poll actually contains the real value.

Mostly A and B can majorly skew the result if they're not true. And even if they are, and your confidence interval does indeed contain the real value, you confidence interval might still be extremely broad. Maybe in 75% of the interval Clinton would win and in 25% of the interval Trump would win. You'd say the result of your poll shows Clinton will win, but that doesn't mean it's impossible for Trump to win.

The most unfair thing the media has probably done is interview people, find 48% vote Clinton, 44% Trump and 8% other, and then post those results as their poll. This is unfair because it skips the whole confidence interval thing and therefore gives a result that's much less nuanced than it should be. That is a problem with media worldwide, because clear statements sell, while vague ones don't. It has nothing to do with the media being 'corrupt middle class leftist propaganda'