PRESIDENT TRUMP

Yeah, I'm with SnowOwl on this one about that story. Even back then there were people who didn't treat black people that way when they had the power. It's almost like there exist decent people even in the worst parts of history or something. Just assuming that this was an issue to the old guy is pretty presumptuous. For all your brother knew, the old guy could have been one who fought for equality or someone who just stayed quiet and lived their life without trampling over others.

Granted, there's probably old white people who did feel that disjoint of time changing things for them, but it's likely they found other areas in which to exert the power that they lost when equality came around... or they just stayed as they were and are racists even today who would gladly hit a person just because of their skin colour. I mean, the KKK and such do still exist and I'm pretty sure they still do shit, even thought it's probably kept better under wraps nowdays.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=Liberty
I mean, the KKK and such do still exist and I'm pretty sure they still do shit, even thought it's probably kept better under wraps nowdays.

Seems like they spend most of their time shitposting on /pol/, disagreeing on what "white" means, and Nazi LARPing. If only they knew how the actual Nazi party would look upon slavenly basement dwellers. I believe the word "untermensch" applies
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
The best part of it so far is Team Trump's statement on the matter. it is glorious in its Trumpitude.

'Fuck you American intelligence community! What do you idiots know anyway?'
Well, I wasn't there, so I was taking my brother's word for it. He's not particularly PC, so I don't think his worldview was coloring his perspective, but if the evidence taints the message, I'll drop it.

Edit: @Solitayre: It's extra funny since it starts with a lie.
author=Housekeeping
And, I do agree that the idea of privilege as being tied to ethnicity needs to be dialed back a bit and attributed more to economic circumstances.

The word you're looking for is classism! A pretty obscure fella you probably haven't heard of wrote a lot about it back in the day. He wrote a manifesto and everything, I think his name was Karl?????
(because tone doesn't carry through text: I'm not making fun, just being cheeky)

...but yes. I think a thing that trips a lot of people up/overwhelms them is the fact that privilege is actually a SUPER huge topic and there are a lot of points of places where the privilege/oppression duality can exist. In my experience, it's less useful to focus on individual identities ("I am a straight white male but I'm poor and disabled where do I fit???") and more on systemic issues ("We live in a country that unfairly prioritizes men and masculinity in ways that does damage to people of all genders; how does that affect my life and how can I change it?"). It creates a better sense of community and allyship, and is oftentimes less difficult to parse. It also shifts the focus off of "so I'm Privileged: what do I do now????", which, tbh, is a really frustrating conversation to have with someone (been on both sides!! It is frustrating from all angles).

If you take some time to read some legit discourse/social science literature instead of people screaming at each other on the internet via blogs or forum posts, you'll find heaps of evidence that literally no one is ever saying all straight white men or whatever are individually SHITTY AND BAD AND THE WORST AND PRIVILEGE!!!!!!!! Instead, you'll find people examining patterns that benefit some and oppress others, and who are working to change that.

Obviously people still get their feathers ruffled if you say something ~radical~ like "hey did you know poor people get treated unfairly and are exploited by the upper classes?", especially if they benefit from that exploitation. At that point, you just get into the habit of separating people who choose to be willfully ignorant of observable patterns studied by people far more intelligent and educated and experienced than they are from people who see the same thing as you, but may have alternate opinions about what it all means. One of these people you can have a constructive discussion with, the other you can't (and for the people you can't: that's when you bust out the memes or straight up walk away because u love urself and don't want to waste your time).

Really tho, I would encourage anyone and everyone who comes across discourse about stuff like privilege and goes "eeeghghhh IB" to check out some introductory social science materials! There's a lot out there that's super accessible for peeps who aren't, um, as intense as someone like I am is. It's just good info to have, and buffs up your critical thinking skills.
If it's classism, what does male or female have to do with it? I think you need a lesson or two yourself.
Should have known. So in the end, it all boils down to it being the Patriarcys fault. Cuz you know that's basically the whole point of the Intersectional theory.
I almost thought there was a change from the usual there for a moment when classism was mentioned.
...No, it boils down to a kyriarcy. The patriarchy is only one part of the kyriarchy. At least from my understanding.
Call it what you want, in the end it all boils down to the same thing.
author=SnowOwl
If it's classism, what does male or female have to do with it? I think you need a lesson or two yourself.
Thank you SnowOwl for volunteering as an example of "how to determine whether or not the convo is worth having/is your audience assuming good faith/do they want to hear what you have to say"!

As we can see by this statement that I literally addressed in the second paragraph when I said:

privilege is actually a SUPER huge topic and there are a lot of points of places where the privilege/oppression duality can exist

We can determine that this is NOT a person with whom we need waste our time. If someone isn't even willing to read what your write before responding, chances are they are not interested in a real discussion. EDIT: better put, why should I waste my time and effort writing more things that someone doesn't plan to read?

Now WHERE ARE MY MEMES surely I must have a good one for this situation
I read it, don't you worry about that.
You went from calling it classism in the first few rows to progressively more and more talking about the ol' Patriarchy™.

author=emmych
("We live in a country that unfairly prioritizes men and masculinity in ways that does damage to people of all genders; how does that affect my life and how can I change it?")

Anyone would be able to guess this is a post about classism, right?
User was warned for this post
author=SnowOwl
You went from calling it classism in the first few rows to progressively more and more talking about the ol' Patriarchy™.

But you apparently failed to notice that "classism" was specifically a response to Housekeeping's post.

As for what this has to do with racism and sexism, is your mental image of "upper class" a white man or a black woman?
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
On sunny days, I go out walking
author=SnowOwl

author=emmych
("We live in a country that unfairly prioritizes men and masculinity in ways that does damage to people of all genders; how does that affect my life and how can I change it?")

Anyone would be able to guess this is a post about classism, right?

since that is the only sentence that mentions men at all, yes.

the lengths some people here will go to be scared of a boogeyman is incredible

Should have known. So in the end, it all boils down to it being the Patriarcys fault. Cuz you know that's basically the whole point of the Intersectional theory.

the reason the theory of intersectionality was created was actually to address the feeling that focusing solely on viewing feminist issues through the lens of gender was not enough, but that also other factors, primarily class and race, had to be considered. it is basically the opposite of what you are describing and it would be good if in your remaining x years on this planet you considered gaining a faint grasp of what you were talking about before opening your mouth if you don't plan to engage in good faith

author=CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK

I couldn't agree more! I doubt you and me are thinking of the same boogeyman though.

author=CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
the reason the theory of intersectionality was created was actually to address the feeling that focusing solely on viewing feminist issues through the lens of gender was not enough, but that also other factors, primarily class and race, had to be considered.

Or in clearer terms, it wasn't the males that were to blame for every wrongdoing ever done, it was the white straight male specifically.
User was warned for this post
harmonic
author=CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume you meant "all" people instead of "some." Scapegoating and fear mongering is a standard issue tool in political/cultural warfare. The scapegoating thing was pretty good and weak for a while during the 1980's and some of the 90's, but boy has it made a comeback. Gotta blame someone, anyone, but self.
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
On sunny days, I go out walking
author=SnowOwl
Or in clearer terms, it wasn't the males that were to blame for every wrongdoing ever done, it was the white straight male specifically.

as in, "a practical solution that helps a white upper class woman but does not serve to address the issues faced by a black woman in Harlem is inadequate."

you're doing the thing where you just quote someone and change the text so that now they sound ridiculous, except, you are doing it in your head.

author=harmonic
author=CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume you meant "all" people instead of "some." Scapegoating and fear mongering is a standard issue tool in political/cultural warfare. The scapegoating thing was pretty good and weak for a while during the 1980's and some of the 90's, but boy has it made a comeback. Gotta blame someone, anyone, but self.

mm, no, i'm talking about the two people in this thread who actually need to enter therapy for their persecution complexes.
harmonic
author=CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
mm, no, i'm talking about the two people in this thread who actually need to enter therapy for their persecution complexes.

Great. Good to know. I'll know better next time I feel tempted to consider your posts reasonable or unbiased.

This is the AGE of persecution, buddy. The age of avoiding personal responsibility. The age of blaming others. To deny that is the height of myopia.

I also think you're misunderstanding the message. I have shared a couple real stories of awful racism toward me, but in general, I don't personally feel "persecuted". That would be pretty small-minded, if ALL I cared about was me, right? I get routinely annoyed and disappointed to see that so many people are chalking up everything to "the patriarchy" or whatever. It's just disappointing. It's not going to solve any problems. It's just causing more division and polarization. I want problems to be solved, I want divisions to be healed, but people do not respond well to being shamed, especially if they can't help who they are. And me pointing that out somehow makes me the bad guy. Ha!