WOULD LEARNING TO DRAW HELP ME IN IMPROVING MY ASPIRING PIXEL ART SKILL?

Pages: 1
Howdy! My current main focus when it comes to gam mak is pixel art; I'm trying to get "okay" at it ASAP. So, I'm wondering if drawing with pen and paper can help me with my pixel art. I don't want to learn how to draw because I want to learn how to draw; I just want to get better at pixel art.

Is learning how to draw worth it in this instance? Or should I just stick with pixel art?

pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
By leaps and bounds.

Which is better; playing music by ear or knowing the sheet music? Does knowing sheet music improve your ability to play by ear? I'll do you one better: knowing how to tune the instrument improves your ability even further.

When you learn to draw, you're not just putting lines on paper. You're learning anatomy, how shapes interact; etcetera. Can you become an exceptional pixel artist not knowing how to draw? Sure you can, but wouldn't it be easier if you understood the underlying elements of visual style sooner than later?
That makes a lot of sense when you put it that way. Human anatomy is my biggest pixel art roadblock: I'm really bad at making animated sprites and character portraits. I'm pretty sure that learning how all that works is going to help my pixel art in some way or another.

EDIT: Thanks for helping out, buddy!
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
P. much learning any art is going to help git gud with other arts.

For pixels, I'd also recommend studying color theory, because holy balls do good colors make a huuuuuge difference.
I know some color theory, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to study it some more since pixel art is basically all about colors.

Thanks for the answers, guys!
Yeah, dabbling in pixel art helped me soooo much in how I use colors. And vice versa. I doodled so much so I come up with basic shapes n movements fast and naturally (I still have waaaays to go haha). It all helps since it makes you focus on different things.

Good luck :) You do great stuff. Will be awesome to see it brought to another level!
It's more of learning the basic elements of art like color, unity, etc. that will help you get better at pixel art. "Learning to draw" is kind of an oversimplification.
author=Kylaila
Yeah, dabbling in pixel art helped me soooo much in how I use colors. And vice versa. I doodled so much so I come up with basic shapes n movements fast and naturally (I still have waaaays to go haha). It all helps since it makes you focus on different things.

Good luck :) You do great stuff. Will be awesome to see it brought to another level!

Thanks for your tip and compliment! The main reason Dope Quest is taking so long is because I plan to create custom graphics for it once my pixel art has improved well enough. DQ will happen! :)

author=WolfCoder
It's more of learning the basic elements of art like color, unity, etc. that will help you get better at pixel art. "Learning to draw" is kind of an oversimplification.

Yeah, I've noticed that there are a lot of shapes you can learn in pixel art. Color is probably the most important aspect of pixel art, so I'm trying my best to learn from others and restrict myself to palettes. Thanks for the tips!
All drawing improves all fields of drawing. Simple as that. So drawing with pen n paper is useful, sure, but if it's pixel art you want to make more than anything - I'd suggest doing that as much as possible.

For few years, all I did was pixel stuff, but then moved to digital painting and traditional drawing and realized that all that hard work with pixel art also carried over to other fields of art.

Color theories that go with traditional painting are really useful btw.
If you want to learn pixel art then do pixel art. Don't waste time drawing on paper, unless you want to do scans and use them for backgrounds and stuff.

The fastest way to get "ok" with pixel art is this tutorial: http://www.petesqbsite.com/sections/tutorials/tuts/tsugumo/

And you need to realize that drawing a single 20x20 pixel tile can take well over an hour. But if you're willing to invest that time, you'll be surprised how good you are at pixel art.

All drawing improves all fields of drawing.
Not quite, it depends on whether you draw realistic or abstract. The thought progress is the exact opposite in both, so you can only be good in one of the two.

So let's make it: "All abstract drawing improves all fields of abstract drawing."
Pages: 1