[RMVX ACE] SHOW TEXT PRECEDING A CHOICE

Pages: first 12 next last
Hey all, first of (likely to be) many help requests. Much help appreciated!

I have a 'show text' that is immediately followed by a 'show choices' but if I put anything in between (like a label) then when i get to this part in-game the text no longer appears together with the choice. Same thing occurs if the 'show text' is in a condition block preceding the 'show choices'.

Is there any way to make the text and choice appear together? I have some areas where different text appears before a choice based on some condition and I would still like the text and the choice to appear together.

(by 'appear together' i mean that they appear at the same time. Anytime the 'show text' is NOT immediately followed by 'show choices', the text will disappear when the choice shows up.)
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
My first thought is: don't put your label between the text and the choices.

My second thought is: don't put your text in a separate condition block.

It doesn't work like that. Text has to be with the choice, or you're just not going to have it with the choice.
author=pianotm
My first thought is: don't put your label between the text and the choices.

My second thought is: don't put your text in a separate condition block.

It doesn't work like that. Text has to be with the choice, or you're just not going to have it with the choice.

What the man says is true. You cannot have a label between show text and show choice.

Basically, the thing you are going to have to do is just not have labels or condition branches in between your show text and show choices.

The only way to counter act this would be to have the dialogue repeat a second time.

For example:

Show text: "Hey."
Conditional branch:
Show Text: "Hey."
Show Choices:

so, any other way to make condition-based text and choice appear together?
Sorry that is that only way. I mean I guess it could be possible to do some scripting to change it but that is way outside my knowledge.
pianotm
Put the choice in the conditional branch with the text? Put the label before the text? That's about it.
author=pianotm
Put the choice in the conditional branch with the text? Put the label before the text? That's about it.

And there is that too.
author=pianotm
Put the choice in the conditional branch with the text?

That would require duplicating the choice block, and doing that would be extremely inconvenient.

author=pianotm
Put the label before the text?

I need to have the text be different based on some condition. Having the text immediately preceding the choice block will make it unable to be modified by the condition.
Then the only other way is to do I said in the above post...

That or learn scripting. Sorry, not much more that can be done.
your above post appears to be equivalent to

author=pianotm
Put the choice in the conditional branch with the text?

I'm very impressed with these fast replies, thank for trying to help so far! Any ideas are welcome
Show text: "Hey."
Conditional branch:
Show Text: "Hey."
Show Choices:

This is what I meant. I tested this out and this is sadly the best you will get unless you want to try your hand at scripting.
pianotm
Okay. Here's what you do:

Conditional branch
if <condition>
Show text
Show Choice
else
Show alternate text
Show Choice
End Branch

Otherwise, use your labels in the same fashion.

Another possibility, Event page one and two. And this can be a good option if those text alternatives cause a significantly different change in the game path.

Have your text and choices on one page then on the second page, have your alternate text and choices.

Conditional branch
if <condition met>
Switch on
else
end branch
Yep, it will require duplicating the choice block, as I assumed. I have previously used this in a shop event but it will be extremely inconvenient to use this for the area i'm at, involving a 100 line choice block which cannot be duplicated...

These are very helpful nonetheless, but I honestly didnt expect rmvxa to not have this functionality.. but in the end I suppose we'll have to do without it (unless theres another way)

Thanks very much guys!

(wait I'm analyzing the second method..)

Oh no, that requires duplicating the choice block too...
Really VX Ace can do anything it is just a matter of fully understanding the engine.
despite this, I admit I am surprised by what rmvxa CAN do. It's not as flexible as game maker, but for RPG's it can do quite alot and doesnt need setting up the basic rpg mechanics. Pretty cool.
Yeah, it can do a lot. Now if you know scripting it can do a lot more.

Amber Throne

It is hard to believe that game was made in RPG Maker sometimes.
pianotm
Actually, you really would be surprised. Check out GubiD's Tactical Engine.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I'm a little confused about what you want to do. Do you want to set it up so that the SHOW CHOICE options are essentially the same, only exclude the previously chosen option?
Hi, I'm trying to have the text preceding the choice be different based on a condition, but the choice block itself is the same regardless of that condition.
Pages: first 12 next last