HOW ARE WE DOING? A SURVEY TO HELP US IMPROVE RMN

InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
author=LouisCyphre
Feature request: close threads automatically when a post contains the words “bible,” “history,” and “gays.”
Woah, woah, woah. That would allow Corf to way too easily lock threads.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=InfectionFiles
author=LouisCyphre
Feature request: close threads automatically when a post contains the words “bible,” “history,” and “gays.”
Woah, woah, woah. That would allow Corf to way too easily lock threads.

At least then it would get done when its clear the purpose has been exhausted. You guys really should just go ahead and make me a mod already. I'd turn this place around in nothing flat.
InfectionFiles
You'd turn it into nothing, alright.

Versalia
must be all that rtp in your diet
author=Corfaisus
You guys really should just go ahead and make me a modfishing to piss people off

Please stop purposely turning this thread into a one-man show about your weird combination of persecution/god complex and then complaining about threads being left open to offtopic discussion. Hali made a great post about goals and purposes, and it's going to be obscured under a flood of bullshit bickering.

I disliked greatly the post about how a community has nothing to do with "goals" and is defined solely by members. In any community, the members should agree on goals that they can work towards as a group; the two aren't mutually exclusive.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=InfectionFiles
You'd turn it into nothing, alright.

To follow Versalia's example, Exdeath always was my favorite villain.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Stop. Holy shit people knock it off with this Bible-slamming fest.

Move all posts regarding the Bible's historical integrity to the Religion thread. Do NOT continue mudslinging and insulting each other for not believing the same things you do.

Keep this thread on topic. If you're only going to insult someone, do not post.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
author=halibabica
Backpedaling to WIP's questions about the necessity of forums: you may not buy the argument that things exist because people want them to, but honestly, that's the reason why most things exist in the first place. Society's demands are met, one way or another.

I think the forums are important to RMN because the site needs its community aspect. No, they aren't all relevant to game design, but the people who come here aren't one-dimensional robots who crank out video games (except maybe LockeZ?). As members join and share their work, they also socialize and get to know each other. A forum needs a place for every type of discussion to facilitate this socialization, whether it's part of the website's main theme or not. Does that not make sense? People talk about literally everything. The site's features should certainly be most conducive for its theme, but it needs a place for everything else too, and that's what it already has. We don't need to prune things for not being relevant to game design; everything has its place.

I agree that things exist because people want them to. But again, community does not equate to being able to shit post on a forum. There's communities in all kinds of places that don't have forums. Would those things automatically have a "better" community if they did?
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
from WIP
I agree that things exist because people want them to. But again, community does not equate to being able to shit post on a forum. There's communities in all kinds of places that don't have forums. Would those things automatically have a "better" community if they did?

Shit posting is why moderation is needed. Hey, we've come full circle!

It's not to say that forums are always necessary either. Context is everything; some types of communities work better with it than others. I feel that the community on RMN is more casual about its shared, onerous hobby. Myself being not that active in the community, I can attest to what lonely work game design can be. Having others to share it with, to get excited with, to learn and grow with, is very important here. It's not a business relationship. When the community members come together this way, friendships form, and friends are likely to talk about a lot more with each other than a group brought together for one lone, specific task. Having a place for them to share with each other beyond just their latest game update is why I think our forums are necessary.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
That still hinges on "there is no other way than forums", though. That's what I'm trying to get at. You don't need forums for community. Forever ago in IRC, #rm2k had a very strong community bond. But was entirely forum-less. It didn't need a forum and I'd wager it was a stronger community than most.

Why does RMN need a forum for community? Is there absolutely no other way to foster it?
InfectionFiles
Just think, if we had a ignore thread option you could tailor RMN's forum to exactly what you want! lmao
halibabica
from WIP
That still hinges on "there is no other way than forums", though. That's what I'm trying to get at. You don't need forums for community. Forever ago in IRC, #rm2k had a very strong community bond. But was entirely forum-less. It didn't need a forum and I'd wager it was a stronger community than most.

Why does RMN need a forum for community? Is there absolutely no other way to foster it?

That's a fair point. All I can really say in that regard is that the forum is the most accessible. A few clicks and you're there, threads serve as conversation logs, you can search them for topics, everything's compartmentalized...it's all really convenient. IRC is great for real time chat, but not ongoing conversations. RMN has many branches for its community to spread out upon; the forums are just one of the biggest and easiest to use.
WIP
author=halibabica
from WIP

That's a fair point. All I can really say in that regard is that the forum is the most accessible. A few clicks and you're there, threads serve as conversation logs, you can search them for topics, everything's compartmentalized...it's all really convenient. IRC is great for real time chat, but not ongoing conversations. RMN has many branches for its community to spread out upon; the forums are just one of the biggest and easiest to use.
Yeah I am not saying forums are worthless. But I don't like the idea that it's THE only way. They can also be a crutch in ways. AKA, "make a forum for because there's a small demand for it!".

Even the rest of RMN's comments/posts on gamepage items isn't as intuitive or contextually aware as it probably could be.
InfectionFiles
Why don't we add a trashy sidebar instant message system? It's hip because it's fast and live, like a Slack type thing directly embedded in the site.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=InfectionFiles
Why don't we add a trashy sidebar instant message system? It's hip because it's fast and live, like a Slack type thing directly embedded in the site.

Isn't that basically statuses?

Once again cementing them as the #1 most important aspect of the community.
halibabica
from WIP
Yeah I am not saying forums are worthless. But I don't like the idea that it's THE only way. They can also be a crutch in ways. AKA, "make a forum for {x} because there's a small demand for it!".

Even the rest of RMN's comments/posts on gamepage items isn't as intuitive or contextually aware as it probably could be.

Well, I know RMN has a Slack channel, but heck if I know how to use it. This is where my experience ends since I'm as detached as I am. Maybe we just need to showcase our alternatives better? I mean, I'm sure I could figure out how to get on Slack if I had the time and motivation, but maybe it could be more intuitive as well.

For all I know it already is and I'm just not in it enough to realize. This is why I usually avoid discussing how to improve the community, but I think we understand each others' points.
WIP
Honestly, RMN should have built-in chat. You register a username, you can chat immediately. Ditch having to rely on folks getting Slack or an esoteric IRC client configured.

Fragmentation benefits nobody.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
I dislike bullshit chat services because there's one key difference between one of these and the forums: You can't go back.

I'm a very busy person, so i'm glad there's a place where i can come back three days later to read the well intentioned birthday wishes left to me, or the reply to my gamedev question by searching my post history and pick up from there.

That shit is asinine in garbage like slack, that removes and deletes post history every twenty minutes. I logged in on slack yesterday for the first time in months to read the follow up to a very interesting discussion but oh right slack is a chat service and valuable information has the lifespan of a mayfly in there.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
TBH you shouldn't treat any chat like it's got valuable info, anyway. That's kind of the point of chat: it's a phone call, rather than mail.
InfectionFiles
Chats are fleeting, you would chat while you're here and can still always post on the forums :)
Sooz
Yeah, it's not like it'd replace anything, just provide an outlet for faffing about.