HOW ARE WE DOING? A SURVEY TO HELP US IMPROVE RMN

Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
I'm just kinda blueballed that i didn't get to play that game he made with the tamagotchi graphics and i had it next on my playlist.
Kloe
I lost my arms in a tragic chibi accident
author=Gredge109
Move aside, Kloe.

Yeah, that silly old Kloe! ;P
author=NTC3
So, Corfaisus left as well? Spent a while just now going through his last posts and trying to reconstruct WTF happened. I kinda sympathised with him when he claimed one needed to see the ending(s) before judging.... but then, I'm 99% sure he not only reviewed games without finishing them, but actually hacked one to give his characters maximum stats because he got bored of combat as it was intended, so no sympathy here.

I do that all the time. It's not a problem as long as you're not sharing the changed files around or anything. People who lock their game up and then make them pretty much unplayable... that kind of thing sucks big time. >.<;
author=Liberty
author=NTC3
So, Corfaisus left as well? Spent a while just now going through his last posts and trying to reconstruct WTF happened. I kinda sympathised with him when he claimed one needed to see the ending(s) before judging.... but then, I'm 99% sure he not only reviewed games without finishing them, but actually hacked one to give his characters maximum stats because he got bored of combat as it was intended, so no sympathy here.
I do that all the time. It's not a problem as long as you're not sharing the changed files around or anything. People who lock their game up and then make them pretty much unplayable... that kind of thing sucks big time. >.<;

Well, you certainly have a point here. I simply meant that you could easily argue modifying the game in this way detracts from the experience its developer intended, so it's rather hypocritical to then say his own game could only be experienced in one true way not subject to change, while obviously not giving similar respect to others' works.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Corf got bad reviews on his attempt at an art game, lost his shit when "it's art!" didn't stand up as an excuse for a tedious game with nothing to recommend it, tried to sic the mods on me for "harassment" when I kept responding to said shit-losing, then when I didn't get banninated, went with the nuclear option and left.

It was definitely one of the more dramatic incidents I've been involved in.

Moral of the story: "It's an art game" does not, in fact, render you immune to criticism, especially from someone who likes art games.

Edit: Not sure how wise it is as someone who was in the epicenter of that blast to post about it, but what the hell.
author=Sooz
Edit: Not sure how wise it is as someone who was in the epicenter of that blast to post about it, but what the hell.
It's never bad to get as many perspectives on any incident as possible; makes it that much easier to properly resolve.

Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I mean it's p. resolved when one guy takes his ball and goes home.
I always thought it was a troll game. I got the impression Corfaisus did not like trendy "art" games.
Sooz
He seemed to go back and forth as to whether he was trying to troll, do satire, or try to be serious art. Whichever one it was, it was not very good.

Second moral: Don't make games in a genre you don't get the appeal of, because they will suck.

Man, that game was so disappointing, because the setting premise was freakin awesome.
I think Corf, by his own admission, had mental problems. But who knows/cares. Maybe we all have mental problems to some degree.
author=Link_2112
I think Corf, by his own admission, had mental problems. But who knows/cares. Maybe we all have mental problems to some degree.

From a psychological standpoint, yes. Everyone in some way or another has varying degrees of mental illness.
Sooz
Mental problems doesn't really excuse shit behavior. Quite a lot of devs here have some fairly severe mental problems but know enough not to let 'em all over the forum. That's what catty gossip in private chat is for!
author=BlackWolf1992
author=Link_2112
From a psychological standpoint, yes. Everyone in some way or another has varying degrees of mental illness.

We're all mad inside. Some keep the madness to themselves; others let it eke out to all they meet.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
karins_soulkeeper
BlackWolf1992
Link_2112
We're all mad inside. Some keep the madness to themselves; others let it eke out to all they meet.

And some embrace it, and some hide it.

I fear those that believe they are sane; they're the craziest of all.
Excuse me while I spit out these strange words that ended up in my mouth :P Why would someone want to stick up for that guy! haha

I dislike him more than yous guys so I wasn't saying it excuses his behavior. Only to say he's not exactly trolling. He's just, at the very least, unstable.

My mental problems include not being able to finish making a game.

Oh, uh while I'm here, Liberty is doing an awesome job running the site. Two thumbs up.
We had to lock the survey due to spammage from a certain someone. Viva la espanol, indeed.
>.>

Thanks everyone for your replies, though! We have been looking through them and have a fair few things to hash out and talk about.
author=Liberty
Thanks everyone for your replies, though! We have been looking through them and have a fair few things to hash out and talk about.

Will you share your discussion with us? Or maybe respond to the notable answers some time?
pianotm
Liberty
We had to lock the survey due to spammage from a certain someone. Viva la espanol, indeed.
>.>

It is actually quite tragic that this is all that he seems to live for.
author=pianotm
Liberty
>.>

May I ask who you are referring to? And on a related note, I was surprised to discover SnowOwl and shayoko ended up banned, since they both seemed to have solid, stable presences back when I joined. Are these permabans, or not?
pianotm
NTC3
pianotm
Liberty
>.>
May I ask who you are referring to? And on a related note, I was surprised to discover SnowOwl and shayoko ended up banned, since they both seemed to have solid, stable presences back when I joined. Are these permabans, or not?

We are referring to XxxHelaz (I think that's how his name's spelled). I guess you weren't here for his mayhem. He spent, it must have been a month making new accounts and getting banned, sometimes multiple times a day and he swore he would never stop bothering us. I don't know what the mods did to finally keep him off of the forums, but as I understand it, he continues to wait in the wings, causing trouble wherever he can.

EDIT: Also, holy shit! SnowOwl's banned? I didn't know that!

EDIT 2: Also, yeah, Shayoko, if I remember correctly, gave one of his nastier, inappropriate reviews to someone's game, and then started harassing the dev over it. When Libby got involved, he started making a bunch of really vicious Youtube videos directed at her with quite a few things that shouldn't be repeated.