RPG MAKER DEVELOPERS WHO WENT ON TO PRODUCE GAMES PROFESSIONALLY

Pages: first 12 next last
Can anyone think of some examples of this? People who manage to ascend from RPG Makering into the professional realm are quite inspiring. The first person who comes to my mind is Kamau, who has worked on many games such as Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty.
Corpse Party started as an RPG Maker game before it got picked up for the big leagues, if that counts.

Can't think of anything besides that, though. Never really thought about it.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
Ao Oni started as an RMXP game and it got a live action movie and anime adaptation.
To name a few off the top of my head: Harmonic, Indinera Falls, Matseb2611, Dark Gaia, Archeia (probably), ksjp17, the GLITCHED developers, Deltree, BadLuck.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Wait, you guys aren't all making RPG Maker games professionally right now? It's just me?
Dingaling, who made Lisa "The First" and then went ahead to continue the series commercially with Lisa "The Painful RPG". He's making another game called "Ninja Tears".

There's Kan Gao, who works in Freebird Games.

According to this interview, Toby Fox used to mess around in RPG Maker 2000 but he never released anything, so I'm not sure if that counts.

Those are the only developers who I can think of who haven't been mentioned. :/

Kan Gao should be a huge inspiration to all of you. To The Moon is likely the most well-known and popular RPG Maker game ever made. And it's brilliant and you should all play it immediately.

I contacted him out of the blue to get his advice on how to proceed with Ara Fell, and he really took the time to talk with me and help guide me. I can't say enough good things about the guy.
Yeah, there's actually quite a number of RM devs that have grown to become quite successful as indie developers. I also think that John Wizard and Elder Prince (Blossomsoft) develop RM games professionally. Amanda Fitch of Aveyond is another big commercial RM star.

The numbers have definitely increased since RMVX Ace hit Steam (for better or worse).
author=BadLuck
Kan Gao should be a huge inspiration to all of you. To The Moon is likely the most well-known and popular RPG Maker game ever made. And it's brilliant and you should all play it immediately.

I contacted him out of the blue to get his advice on how to proceed with Ara Fell, and he really took the time to talk with me and help guide me. I can't say enough good things about the guy.

That's really cool! Like, seriously. The game was great too. Loved it when I played it years back.
I've tried to play To the Moon a couple of times, but I just can't get into it. To me, personally, it feels more like an interactive movie than a game. :/
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
Came in here to post about Kamau and it was in the OP!

He's a pretty classy fellow, too. He has a pretty cool shooting game he made himself last year called "Switch 'n Shoot".
To The Moon is definitely more visual novel than actual game. If that's not your thing, it's definitely hard to get into it. It's extremely well-written and the story itself is clever. If you ever want to play it again just to study how to put together a great story, it's really worth it.
Yeah, I guess VNs aren't quite my cuppa tea. I'll probably watch an LP of it sometime instead.
author=LockeZ
Wait, you guys aren't all making RPG Maker games professionally right now? It's just me?

My sentiments exactly.
When Ephiam and J-Man announce they're going commercial, I'm slicing my wrists in a tub.
Wow.

I've considered going commercial a few times but that would mean I'd have to make a game and eft.

author=WIP
Came in here to post about Kamau and it was in the OP!

He's a pretty classy fellow, too. He has a pretty cool shooting game he made himself last year called "Switch 'n Shoot".

He's also got a new one in the works called Luminesca, which looks very pretty and very cool~
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
I've worked professionally! I've covered the gamut from educational to some cheap mobile stuff to some consulting... although never full time, so I don't know if that counts. To be honest, if I didn't start goofing around with RM2000 way back when, I don't know if I'd have ever even learned how to program :P

Anyway, yea, Nessy's working on Omori, the Shut Up & Jam Gaiden guys started in RPG Maker IIRC... there's a lot of well-known devs who started in RM, I think! It's a good tool for that :)
author=slash
To be honest, if I didn't start goofing around with RM2000 way back when, I don't know if I'd have ever even learned how to program :P

I'm in my final year of school for programming and I've never gotten less than in A in any programming class. I'll be damned if it isn't due to my 10+ years of experience using RPG Maker.

Anytime I'm not sure how to go about completing an exercise, I ask myself how I would go about it in RPG Maker and that's how I figure it out. "Oh, I would simply create a conditional branch with a jump to label here and there", etc.
I made this with some people a while back http://store.steampowered.com/app/334070/. I still work on another commercial game, but on a much smaller scale. I do still fiddle with rm2k3 from time to time.

100% freelance and/or indie development for two-three years now. I don't know if I'd like to work in a bigger studio just yet (or at all really)
There was a promising game called Remothered by Chris Darril that was hosted on RMN a few years back before vanishing into the void. He apparently worked on NightCry and is only now starting up his prior project again.

It looked way ahead of it's time in terms of what rpgmaker developers were capable of, especially as it was being developed in XP at the time.

Pages: first 12 next last