RPG MAKER DEVELOPERS WHO WENT ON TO PRODUCE GAMES PROFESSIONALLY

Pages: first prev 12 last
author=StarSkipp
There was a promising game called Remothered by Chris Darril that was hosted on RMN a few years back before vanishing into the void. He apparently worked on NightCry and is only now starting up his prior project again.

It looked way ahead of it's time in terms of what rpgmaker developers were capable of, especially as it was being developed in XP at the time.

This in in XP?! Incredible!
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
Skyborn's how I got "known" enough to break into the "real" game industry. Then I got bored making other peoples' games and am back to doing my own thing XD
Trihan
"It's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."
Wait a minute, Kamau worked on Oddworld?

The one that immediately springs to mind is The Vendor's creator Galenmereth. He created his game for a contest and then Degica approached him to make it a commercial title. Not sure how that ended; it's been like 3 years and I haven't seen any references to a purchasable version of it. :(
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

There are actually a lot of RPG Maker games on Steam.
I wouldn't count many of them as successful though.

To count I think you need to make a certain number of sales.
(The keys you give away to get green lighted don't count!)
author=Trihan

The one that immediately springs to mind is The Vendor's creator Galenmereth. He created his game for a contest and then Degica approached him to make it a commercial title. Not sure how that ended; it's been like 3 years and I haven't seen any references to a purchasable version of it. :(
They're still working on it - you see videos of updates on RMW sometimes. It's looking fly.

A lot of the games that were top tier in the IGMCs got picked up and published by Degica.

Also, holy crap, Kamau! Yo, how's beans?
author=Trihan

Here's his tumblr.

http://crowbarska.tumblr.com/

Funnily enough, he lists Legion Saga as one of the games he's worked on. Really cool that he hasn't forgotten his roots. He's also recently started using RPG Maker again for the first time in a decade.

Also, wow. He even worked on a Harry Potter game for the 360 as a level designer!
author=dethmetal
author=StarSkipp
There was a promising game called Remothered by Chris Darril that was hosted on RMN a few years back before vanishing into the void. He apparently worked on NightCry and is only now starting up his prior project again.

It looked way ahead of it's time in terms of what rpgmaker developers were capable of, especially as it was being developed in XP at the time.
This in in XP?! Incredible!

Well it's back again. Kinda annoying that he keeps erasing every single mention of the previous game or taking videos down from youtube. I prefer the XP version to be honest =/

author=Liberty
Also, holy crap, Kamau! Yo, how's beans?

Hey! :) Not too bad thanks! Pretty busy these days (hence the slow response... apologies) but being productive and doing well. You?

author=dethmetal
author=Trihan
Here's his tumblr.

http://crowbarska.tumblr.com/

Funnily enough, he lists Legion Saga as one of the games he's worked on. Really cool that he hasn't forgotten his roots. He's also recently started using RPG Maker again for the first time in a decade.

Also, wow. He even worked on a Harry Potter game for the 360 as a level designer!

Haha yup! After RPG Maker I did a bunch of modding for Half-Life 2, then studied game design for 3 years at university and managed to land a job working at EA. Eventually joined the Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty team working as game/level designer and then on to Soulstorm. I never stopped making games.

It's been a blast and I've learned sooo much and worked with a lot of great people, but I could never forget my RPG Maker roots!! It's where I cut my teeth!

It's really lovely to see people remembering my work. Thank you :)
author=Kamau
Haha yup! After RPG Maker I did a bunch of modding for Half-Life 2, then studied game design for 3 years at university and managed to land a job working at EA. Eventually joined the Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty team working as game/level designer and then on to Soulstorm. I never stopped making games.

It's been a blast and I've learned sooo much and worked with a lot of great people, but I could never forget my RPG Maker roots!! It's where I cut my teeth!

It's really lovely to see people remembering my work. Thank you :)

So when's the high-budget AAA version of Legion Saga coming out?
Haha, I have no plans for that :D

To be honest I did spend a bit of time looking at the Legion Saga games and seeing what it would take to get them polished up a bit with non-ripped art assets and music, perhaps for a proper commercial re-release.

But I started to just see a bunch of design flaws all over the place, which is to be expected from my first games of course, but I sort of felt that I'd want to change so much that it almost wouldn't be worth it, you know? Like it probably wouldn't really be the same game any more and I might as well just make a new one?
Trihan
I think the thing that always tickled me about Legion Saga 2 was the bit where
Fuba commits suicide
because the event is tied to the number of characters you've recruited, and it happens even if you're JUST ONE SHORT. It just made me imagine
him sitting there contemplating the deed, thinking to himself "If only...if only I'd had just one more friend..."
XD
author=Kamau

To be honest I did spend a bit of time looking at the Legion Saga games and seeing what it would take to get them polished up a bit with non-ripped art assets and music, perhaps for a proper commercial re-release.

But I started to just see a bunch of design flaws all over the place, which is to be expected from my first games of course, but I sort of felt that I'd want to change so much that it almost wouldn't be worth it, you know? Like it probably wouldn't really be the same game any more and I might as well just make a new one?

Kind of like shooting myself in the foot here... But I'd say it would be worth it. The games aside there was a good amount of background written into your Legion Saga series. That is really what made the games for me... The core of the story is still there and could benefit from an upgrade and modernized design from a professional. Plus... There are few games out there now that touches on the themes that Legion Saga touched on. I know back in the day it got a bad wrap for being a knock off but as someone that has been a huge fan of the other series it was compared too... Legion Saga is it's own thing and now the market is just ripe for it!
author=Trihan
I think the thing that always tickled me about Legion Saga 2 was the bit where
Fuba commits suicide
because the event is tied to the number of characters you've recruited, and it happens even if you're JUST ONE SHORT. It just made me imagine
him sitting there contemplating the deed, thinking to himself "If only...if only I'd had just one more friend..."
XD

I take it you haven't played the Suikoden games. The same sort of thing happens there!

author=Kamau

I kind of agree with Arcmagik. Your old games still have a large enough fanbase that many would be drawn to the remakes, and it's not like the originals would disappear from the internet. Of course, if your heart's not in it, it's not worth it. I do think there's a market for a new Suikoden type game though that a remake of Legion Saga could fill (especially since the actual Suikoden series is, sadly, dead).

I had a lot of fun when I was younger buying small hammers in Legion Saga II. They were cheap enough that you could easily buy 99 and cheaply/quickly max every character's Attack stat.

author=Kamau
Like it probably wouldn't really be the same game any more and I might as well just make a new one?

But will we finally know the identity of the Hooded Man?
Trihan
dethmetal: Yeah, it pissed me off when Gremio did it as well. :P
I went commercial with Ink Travellers... but with not even 20 sales since release it can't be called successful. XD

Yeah, I'd first think of Kan Gao too... To the Moon is an amazing RM Game. Also A bird's story. And lately also OneShot made it to my top commercial RM games... though I have to admit I forgot the creator's name. xD (Sorry T_T)
author=Trihan
dethmetal: Yeah, it pissed me off when Gremio did it as well. :P

For a second there I thought you were referring to the old RPG Townie Gremio and not the Suikoden character hahaha. I totally have my priorities straight.
author=dragonzx
author=Kamau
Like it probably wouldn't really be the same game any more and I might as well just make a new one?

I've seriously been wondering this for years and I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers this.

I recall the section on the Legion Saga website where Kamau posted everyone's theories.
author=dethmetal
author=dragonzx
author=Kamau
I've seriously been wondering this for years and I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers this.

I recall the section on the Legion Saga website where Kamau posted everyone's theories.
I honestly questioned myself hard if I was thinking of the right game with the Hooded Man. Thank you for quelling my anxiety on that one hahaha

And yeah, the theories were great. I kind of want to go and replay the LS games now.

Edit: There are so many RM games I want to go back and play: A Blurred Line, the LS games, Running Water IV or something like that. It's been too long since I played them.
Pages: first prev 12 last