OLD SCHOOL RMERS: WHAT ARE SOME COMMUNITIES THAT YOU USED TO BELONG TO THAT HAVE CEASED TO EXIST?

Pages: first 123 next last
And, hell, non-RMers too. For anyone who has been around since the heyday of message boards.

I've been reminiscing about my early days on the internet recently which gave me the idea for this thread. I got my start on a website called RPG Maker Database, the domain of which used to be rmdatabase.net. I think there may be one or two people here who used to browse that forum, as well. I recall my time there fondly and I still remember many of the users even though I haven't come across them since the site's downfall. I was around 12 when I browsed that place.

Of course, I also spent a lot of time on Gamingw.net but I wasn't much of an active contributer.

How about you guys?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I was active on Don Miguel's forums, back when he first translated RPG Maker 2000. It was so long ago I don't remember any of the people or much of the activity from there. I do remember that like 50% of the forum topics were people who had taken other people's sprite/tileset edits and edited them again, posting them as "free-for-use," which some of them probably really weren't because they were just palette-swapped SNES rips and none of us knew. I got some thousands of sprites and hundreds of tilesets to use in Vindication. I think you can still find Don Miguel's front page, full of broken links.

Much later on, I hung out in the forums at RPG RPG Revolution, which was a lot like a shitty version of this site, but with a much bigger focus on collecting ripped tilesets and sprite edits. It's one of the few major RPG Maker sites I've seen that had official game-pages instead of just forum topics for games, other than RMN. The rating/review system, however, was busted. Games were not ranked by quality, but by how many alt accounts you created and used to give your own game five-star ratings. The "top" game developers made dozens or hundreds of alt-accounts with which to do so.
I was on the original rpgmaker.net for a bit. When it disappeared I split my attention between RPGsource and GamingW. When RPGSource died I was mostly at GW. When GW died I came to the newly revived RMN.

During GW there were some short-lived offshoots that I was part of too. I can't remember the name of them all. There was something called Human Resources, which was a couple of GW RP board guys and some people who knew each other in real life. Then there was one or two of the other RPGmaker boards that I visited for a bit. I hung out on the RRR and rm2knet IRC channels for a bit but I don't think I ever really went to the forums.

My first webforum was probably a place called "Musketörerna", which was a gaming (tabletop) store somewhere in Sweden that I stumbled upon. They had a simple forum that continued after the store itself shut down. It was my go to tiny hangout place for a while. It had a lot of fun features like a tiny java chat on the side of the forum where you could talk shit while browsing topics (the very few topics, since there were like twenty active members at its most active). But that place has basically all of my early internet nostalgia. I sometimes find myself wondering what happened to some of the other members. (I've only kept in contact with like two)
RIP Cedar Woods. Such a nice little community we had but it got dead. :<
I never joined RMN until last year, but I was on a forum many years ago. I think it was RPG mag, and I had a whole different alias and everything. I never published anything on the site, but I did get (a tiny bit) famous off of an ASCII art comic I made, to the point where someone made me, and the comic, a wiki page on their site. If I recall, it's primary focus was around uploading save files from memory cards and hosting them on their site, that you could download, put on your memory card, and play on one of the console RPG Makers. I'm sure they had PC maker stuff too, but I had not yet discovered it.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
rip ultima island
Once in a while I still post on WombatRPGs and realize that it's only Crenomaster aka NightOwl that have visited in the past five years or so.

Apart from that, RIP GamingW. And I remember being a stupid kid on Don Miguel's forums as well. The forum seems to have disappeared, but you're right LockeZ, the front page still seems to be around. http://rpgmaker2000.narod.ru/
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
That reminds me, Liberty, you have now earned the title Don Liberty. If you run an RPG Maker website it's a title you get.
gamingw
indie gaming portal
loose cannon gaming
ghostlight
kobra's realm
rmrk (it's still around iirc)
rrr
hbgames (it's still around iirc)

RMN is eternal.

...at least, until we run out of donations in 4 months.
RPGCrisis. It was small, but it was my bridge to here.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Before RMN, I was a member on CodeTwink for about five years running. The forums still exist, but, they are mostly irrelevant now. The site is, mostly, a repository of old CodeBreaker codes. Though, the site owner did have some hand in making a Game Genie for PS3 at some point. Never messed with that, though.

Part of the reason I left is because the forums were reset every so often. I weathered at least one such reset, since I don't remember it taking terribly long before the forums came back up, and were active. However, when I finally left the place, the forums were down for... over a year? Maybe two? I don't even remember. It was probably around the time when the PS3 and XBox were the major consoles. There was not support the site could give to players of those consoles since there wasn't a cheat device like there was for PS1/PS2/whatever-else-CodeBreaker-was-released-for.

*Edit: I still remember making this huge post that was the inventory codes, and the associated notes, for Suikoden 5. I was essentially re-posting a post from before the forums were wiped, and I could not remember who the original author of the codes was. However, I probably helped a mess of people with that post.
Magi
Resident Terrapin
rip to my lost brothers & sisters @:

rpg2knet
gaming world
rpg town
rpg infinity
rast's rpgmaker.net
skytowergames
rpg arena

May your memories be preserved in our hearts (and archive.org).

oh, I forgot about Sky Tower Games and Township Games.
Backwards_Cowboy
owned a Vita and WiiU. I know failure
Is Charas-Project still around? I was on there. Also RPG Crisis during I believe two different iterations of that place. Can't for the life of me remember what any of my old usernames were. I think there was also one called RPG Chaos, which was like a very very small RPG Crisis. There was one other that I can't remember the name of, though.
gamingw. That's where I met most of the guys in Something Classic. I started there when I was 12 in 2001. I was even a mod once. Fun times.
Starscream
Conquest is made from the ashes of one's enemies.
KanjiHack. RM Gurus. The NeXus. It was really the wild, wild west back then.
I joined GW in...2005, I think? XD (Also, Charas.net, Lunatic Gaming & RRR).

As it became gradually larger/impersonalized, and less interested in RPGMaker, I branched off to help create Loose Cannon Gaming with Ocean, Clest, and some others. Although I helped create the site, I was pretty young at the time, so I mostly entrusted it to the older members. Ironically, the forums themselves became more RP-centric and cliquey (in a good way), not nescessarrily with an emphasis on the actual games we were making.

Eventually the site "merged" with Ghostlight to stimulate activity, but it was a disaster debatably a failed experiment, as the communities were very different.

I went back to GW and #rm2k pretty regularly, and eventually just followed WIP etc to RMN.

It's funny, I think we all tend to nostalgia-glaze some of those old sites, but I'm not sure if they were objectively better. The Internet was crazy different at the time, even in the mid-2000s. RMN's definitely stood the "test of time" the best.
The first RPG-themed forum I joined was Spoonybard's forum before it shut down. My avatar was Bahamut from FF6 and I posted approximately seven times. I... I was a youngling.

Then GW, where I was belittled and called Duke Kaempfer by Magi (fuck u!!!!!!!) and tft and someone else?

I was also part of another forum, but I honestly cannot remember the name of it. There were only about six active posters, but it was a good forum.

It's funny, I think we all tend to nostalgia-glaze some of those old sites
Everyone agrees saltworld sucked, though.
Definitely GW, RMN and...RMXP.org. I think I was active for a bit in RRR, RPG Crisis, GGZ, Blade2k and Kobra's Realm.
Pages: first 123 next last