2016 MISAO WINNERS

Pages: first 123 next last

The 2016 voting period has closed and the results are in! The amount of votes this year has exceeded those of the past 8 years, at 1707 votes total! Let's see the results now, shall we?

But before that, for those who are confused as to what the Misaos are, here's a bit of history:

What are the Misaos?

The Misaos are an annual award event given to indie games made in the RM community. 'Misaos' is the general name for the awards such as 'Best Atmosphere', 'Most Technical Prowess' or 'Game of the Year'. You can liken it to a "People's Choice" award, as the games are nominated and voted upon by the community-at-large.

Why are they called 'Misaos'?

In aeons past, the Misaos were organized and run by the good folks at #rm2k on irc.dynastynet.net and hosted on The Queen's Court website. iishenron (a.k.a. FinalDragon) came up with the name based on a character from one of his favorite animes: Rurouni Kenshin. Specifically, the character Makimachi Misao. The name has stuck, despite the fact that every year people wonder where the name Misao comes from (and they say that the name is silly). For better or for worse, this is what the awards are known as. Besides, the less-than-serious nature of the name suits the less-than-serious nature of the awards!

Results:

Best Graphics & Artwork:
Pocket Mirror

Raddest Setting:
Soma Spirits

Best Sound & Music:
Soma Spirits

Trippiest Game:
The Huntress of the Hollow

Most RTP Game Award:
Quest for the Peace Sword

"Lawsuit Waiting To Happen" Award:
Final Fantasy IV Alter Destiny

Best Game Title:
Weird and Unfortunate Things are Happening

Best Storytelling and Direction:
Soma Spirits

Best Protagonist/Characters:
Soma Spirits

"Kefka Award" Best Antagonist:

Best Shyamalan:
The Ledge

Best Intro:
Aria's Story

Best Finale:

The "How the Hell Did They Do That?" Award:
Revenant Gods: Ragnarok Chronicle

Best Gameplay Balance:
Three Ghostly Roses

Best Dungeon/Level/Puzzle Design:
Soma Spirits

The Most Boss of Fights!:
Revenant Gods: Ragnarok Chronicle

Best Fan-Game:
Final Fantasy IV Alter Destiny

Most Fun And Addictive!:
Soma Spirits

Best Old-School Game:
Three Ghostly Roses

Sleeper Hit of the Year:
Three Ghostly Roses

Most Promising Demo:
Weird and Unfortunate Things are Happening

Game of the Year:
Soma Spirits

Congratulations to all of the winners and thanks to everyone who voted this year!
Vandriette
"The purpose of life is to end." -Agent Smith
*-* Third place~
Kloe
I lost my arms in a tragic chibi accident
Congrats everyone! Definately Soma, I mean it won like 1/3 plus Best Game!
You all did so well!
Also nice job voters, we did good, 1700ish is good but let's double it next year! Yay!
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Soma Spirits dominated!

KILLING SPREE!

MEGA KILL!

ULTRA KILLLLLLL!
InfectionFiles
Also deserved props to Huntress and of course....QUEST FOR THE PEACE SWORD! Good job, Lui :)
I can't even find the words for this.

I never thought Soma Spirits would be as well-received as it has been. I've received nothing but kind words and support from everyone all around and... it just feels amazing. It really does. You guys are truly wonderful.

Thank you for Game of the Year, everyone. And congratulations to all of the winners and everyone who got nominated; I'm really glad to see that we had such a variety in the winner's list this year.

Here's to a great 2017!
Vandriette
"The purpose of life is to end." -Agent Smith
Seems there were quite a few votes o ^o

Gratz all~
unity
You're magical to me.
Congrats to Soma Spirits and all the other winners! :DDDDDDDDD
InfectionFiles
And grats to unity and co for two titles for WAUTAH, that's a mouthful!
author=InfectionFiles
And grats to unity and co for two titles for WAUTAH, that's a mouthful!

I already feel GOTY 2017 coming up :3

Seriously can't wait for WAUTAH!
I'm flattered that people like my music. Thank you. :)
Congrats to everyone, tonnes of great stuff this year!
You have to admit, WAUTAH sounds like a tribal warcry of sorts XD

Grats everyone! Y'all deserve your cookies.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
author=Liberty
Game of the Year:
Soma Spirits

Excellent. *tents fingers in sinister manner*
Congrats to everybody.It`s the second year i vote for a (FF)fangame,and something tells me that it`s gonna be a third.But anyways :Congrats everybody.
Wow, 1707 votes cast. This is the Misaos most successful year since we switched to the "new" format (where categories were set ahead of time and nominations ran all year).
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone! =D It's so awesome that you guys and gals voted FF4AD as Best Fan Game and Lawsuit Waiting To Happen! I hope that I do well with my next project, an alternate version of Xenogears. Again, thank you so much, and congratulations to all the winners! By the way, to the dev of Soma Spirits, your game rocks! Congrats on the win!
Congratulations to SgtMettool, and all the other winners. I'm glad Three Ghostly Roses won a few places too.
<3 So much joy.

author=Sphere
Just wanted to say thank you to everyone! =D It's so awesome that you guys and gals voted FF4AD as Best Fan Game and Lawsuit Waiting To Happen! I hope that I do well with my next project, an alternate version of Xenogears. Again, thank you so much, and congratulations to all the winners! By the way, to the dev of Soma Spirits, your game rocks! Congrats on the win!

Congratulations! : )
Great, Soma Spirits won so I have to misao meltdown all by myself. No, but really, Soma Spirits TOTALLY deserved it. Mega congrats from me! Congrats to SgtMettool! Congrats to SpecialAgentApe who totally nailed it on the soundtrack! Keep making things you two. Totally talented.

Now how could I legitimately have a meltdown (which I'm totally joking about, would never happen haha) when I won some really cool categories myself! Sleeper Hit is totally my thing at this point, haha. I'm gonna start being more vocal about my future projects so I'll definitely enjoy that award while it lasts.

I put a lot of effort into Gameplay Balance and it's totally nice that people actually voted for mine over other good games this year in that regard. Effort totally pays off sometimes.

Now sure, I didn't win Game of the Year, but I snagged BEST OLD SCHOOL GAME! Totally a huge honor in its own right. In a year where Soma Spirits defied odds, I'm totally happy to walk away with what I did. Good vibes on whats to come all around.

Congrats to all the others who walked away with some neat awards!
Pages: first 123 next last