CRUCIAL DECISION:DELETE THE PAST FOR A BETTER FUTURE?

Pages: 1
Hello everyone, I have a very serious question on what to do about a certain situation, and I've been on the fence about it for weeks. But before I ask, I'd like to say that my game is at the point where extreme polishing and optimization are crucial.

In 2016, a very small amount of levels were added in my project because I read an article saying its not wise to add official levels in mid-development of a game unless everything is decided. The monsters, game play functionality, etc. However, it seems that the game itself has over 50 areas that use the past tile sets created long ago.

A short time ago, I created a master tile set that combines all the tiles together and cleans up all that empty space the separate tiles use. The older tiles however, come in about an amount of 15 or so. So here's where this decision gets tricky. If I deleted all of the old tiles for the sake of optimization and space, then all of the old areas from 2015 and beyond would be gone forever. The objects placed would remain, but the tiles would be deleted.

However, this would clear up SO much space and I would only have to use the master tile set. But, I would have to sacrifice MOST of the old worlds and level designs in favor of newer, more detailed worlds that have up to date level designs and such. So the question is, should I proceed in deleting the mass of tiles in favor of using the master tile set only? By the way, I have a picture of the master tile set as seen here.

https://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/19096/locker/minitile.png

InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
What's the size of the game pre-deletion? And how much space would you save after deleting?

Are you losing content overall? Because I feel if a game is larger in file size but has a lot of content to offer, people are more willing to download. And from what I've seen from you, I'd say it would be worth it to have more.
But, if you feel that the game would be smoother and overall better with the newest, best content possible then I say go for it.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
In general, the way I see it is that you can always improve existing content or add new things later on, but you cannot restore deleted content once it's gone. The only legitimate reasons I can see for removing parts of a game that already function and you put effort into creating, is if you feel they are of unsatisfying quality or do not fit the overall project any more. But if that's not the case, then why let good, completed content go to waste, ever?
author=InfectionFiles
What's the size of the game pre-deletion? And how much space would you save after deleting?

Are you losing content overall? Because I feel if a game is larger in file size but has a lot of content to offer, people are more willing to download. And from what I've seen from you, I'd say it would be worth it to have more.
But, if you feel that the game would be smoother and overall better with the newest, best content possible then I say go for it.

Well..don't laugh, but the game itself is 8.5MB right now.However, the game increases in size when its transformed into an executable(exe). But there are thousands of resources within the game itself. Its a tiny package with lots of content. The game got so big before, I had to make all the sounds and music external in order for it to run properly. If I were to delete those old, space consuming tiles, the game would be bound to be at least 7MB or less by itself and run perfectly. The external files themselves have 135MB as music and 18MB for sound effects.

I do kind of feel it would be better because, ever since the evolution of the game in 2016, lots of levels aren't enjoyable anymore or are very unplayable, dry, and outdated. Instead of just changing some tiles here and there, I was thinking deleting the tiles would force me to remake them so I can stop thinking about it.

@NeverSilent
That's exactly what has been bothering me. I feel lots of the levels don't fit the criteria any longer. Most levels were done in 2013-2015 so their old designs feel inferior to what I have in store. Yet, it would be sad to see all that stuff go.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
In any creative endeavor, always remember this advice: Kill your babies.

Sometimes, you must murder things you love because they fuck everything else up. Doesn't matter if you worked for weeks on them, doesn't matter if they're really cool, if they're hindering the overall work, MURDER THEM.
author=Pancaek
Do it.
Lol. I'm leaning more towards it.

@Sooz
That's both deep and true. I have gotten rid of so many things that hinder the progress and this is the very last section that has things to kill. I guess it may be time to get my knife.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
If that's how you feel, then by all means cut out the parts you believe to not be up to your standards any more. However, I strongly recommend keeping a backup copy of the old content regardless - not because you still want to use all of it in your project, but for future reference. It's always better to keep outdated creative work and not need it than to delete it forever and regret it afterwards.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
I agree, if those areas might hurt the overall view of the game from the player perspective then remove them! I can't say for sure myself, but when you find yourself not liking older content AND have so much new cool content then what Sooz says is the right way to go. :)
If it's any incentive, I recently removed an entire system for a character's skillset that I spent 7 straight months working on, because I felt it wasn't needed anymore (I didn't think anyone would use it anyways. There probably were people that DID, but it wasn't that viable of an option) and I think it was lagging my battles. As Sooz already stated, if you think it doesn't fit anymore or don't work with the current project, remove it (or, alternatively, if you DON'T want to remove it, just make it inaccessible or something?). I'm sure that you don't have to worry about filesize being an issue with your game like someone that people here probably know~
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Don't delete your work and start over just because you think you can do it better. Finish it, release it, and use your better ideas in the next game.
author=NeverSilent
If that's how you feel, then by all means cut out the parts you believe to not be up to your standards any more. However, I strongly recommend keeping a backup copy of the old content regardless - not because you still want to use all of it in your project, but for future reference. It's always better to keep outdated creative work and not need it than to delete it forever and regret it afterwards.

Very good idea. The process of that has just begun. I'm sending backups to several areas as we speak. This is honestly THE hardest decision I've had to make in this game since it began back in 2012. Thank you all for your responses so far! This helps me escape my thoughts.

@LockeZ
This is also good advice. Now that I think about it, the reason why the older demo had so many levels in it is because I felt the next demo would far outclass it. Most people who have downloaded it probably have seen most of the levels so far. Perhaps, its best to surprise them with a new set, but not as many. I'll have to think about all of this and come to a decision by the end of the day.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Yeah NS has a good point- backup your darlings just in case. ;)
Definitely keep it (as backup at least). In 10 years you will want to go back and look at it and then you'll be sad that you have deleted it.

I kinda go the LockeZ way of just wrapping up the project and then start a new one using all the knowledge I gained in the previous.
If you decide to cut it, then at least keep a backup so that a few years down the line you can look at it and go "Hey, look where I came from!"

There's a lot of old games I wish I had copies of before I made major changes to them/deleted them. Don't live in regret.
Thank you all for your commentary! They have inspired me in many ways and helped me escape the endless void that is the human mind. The best part about this is, I have been sending copies of my project several places for years(ever since it first got corrupted). I could look back in one of my emails for example and can see that I've sent my project to myself well over 100 times.

Perhaps I'll do a mixture of what everyone has said here. I won't delete them, but I'll keep backups of them. Also, I won't use them anymore in the engine so I'll place them in a "Past" Folder.

Once again, thanks everyone. I'm now one giant step closer to moving forward. *Salutes*
Pages: 1