WHAT ARE YOUR OPINIONS ON THE RECENT PEWDIEPIE CONTRYVERSY?

Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
author=halibabica
Have you ever sworn at a video game that pissed you off?

No?
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
from Solitayre
from me
Have you ever sworn at a video game that pissed you off?
No?
Is that all you have to counter with, or is something more substantial on its way?
Solitayre
I'm saying the guy got caught saying a seriously offensive word on camera, in front of the whole world. Why is your reaction to fall over yourself apologizing for him and insisting it doesn't mean anything?
halibabica
from Solitayre
I'm saying the guy got caught saying a seriously offensive word on camera, in front of the whole world. Why is your reaction to fall over yourself apologizing for him and insisting it doesn't mean anything?

Because that's all that happened and it's being overblown because he's a celebrity. Just like last time, context matters. He used it as an insult; that doesn't mean he's racist. Even if he uses it as a casual insult off-camera, it doesn't mean he has any genuine hate for black people. The evidence is too weak, but again, it's being emphasized because of his status.
Solitayre
He gets paid millions of dollars to play video games. There are only a few very simple rules. 'Don't use your platform to act like a white supremacist,' and 'don't say the N-word out loud where anyone can hear you.'

It's not a high bar to clear. But he failed at both. And you're insisting that we lower the bar for acceptable behavior even lower.

Be prepared to be defending this guy a lot. It's gonna keep happening.
halibabica
from me the last time this happened
It was indeed a very stupid move. I just wanted to provide context since I seem to be the only PewDiePie fan in this thread.

Of course it's not appropriate behavior. That's not the argument I'm making here. I've made my case and it's yours to refute, but I've been watching the man for years and I seriously doubt he holds any irrational hatred in his heart.
Solitayre
author=halibabica
but I've been watching the man for years and I seriously doubt he holds any irrational hatred in his heart.

Racism often doesn't look like irrational hatred. It catches on because to some people it might sound reasonable, rational, or at worst, harmless.
halibabica
That's a fair concern. It's also beside the point. He's also not the only one guilty of this sort of thing. He should watch his mouth more closely because of the position he holds, but this is hardly unique to him and an unfortunate fact of the world we live in.

Again, all I'm saying is casual insult != genuine hatred. Is PewDiePie racist? No. Did he fuck up royally? Yes.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Solitayre
He gets paid millions of dollars to play video games
You are SERIOUSLY overestimating the amount of money that people on Youtube make. By a factor of about a hundred times.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
God damn. I wonder if that's just for him personally, or for his whole company including his editing and marketing staff.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
RMN really needs to get that Youtube channel moving.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=Dyhalto
"Dune coon"

What's that?
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
author=Corfaisus
author=Dyhalto
"Dune coon"
What's that?
AFAIK it's another way of saying sand n****r as a derogatory term for middle eastern people.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
Me neither but i don't want to risk getting in trouble here.
I have a lot of sympathy for the notion that we shouldn't be too quick to jump on people publicly for perceived social transgressions, since it's very easy for those sorts of dogpiles to become self-reinforcing, and to ignore any sort of exonerating evidence. And I've been in the position myself of being accused of being racist by people who weren't inclined to accept any evidence to the contrary, while on the other hand my black/hispanic girlfriend is strongly convinced that I'm not.

But if a person unthinkingly uses racial slurs when they get worked up and don't think they're being subject to public scrutiny, I'd take that as pretty strong evidence of prejudice. It doesn't take a great deal of consideration to avoid using slurs which aren't normalized in public conversation. I know a fair number of pretty racist people, and most of them don't use racial slurs even in private, but all the people I've met who use racial slurs also display strong prejudice in other ways. There's a big difference between using words like "lame," which some people might take as indicative of an implicit prejudiced attitude, but which most people will realistically tend to pick up unthinkingly as a reflection of how the people around them talk, and using words which can get you in big trouble if you're caught using them in public.
author=pianotm
RMN really needs to get that Youtube channel moving.

For every pewdiepie making millions there are 100,000 kentonagbones making nothing
I'm not a fan of PewDiePie to be honest, and i do remember him just for his awful tendency to scream over at horror games for every jumpscare he gets, every error he does in games, even at minor scares. Thought all of this what i remember is just his old self... but when i saw about this, i have no words.

I've never liked PewDiePie because there's few people who think he's a god of YouTube, when i'm just nearly done with YouTube as once it has turned into a site for the young non-teenagers kids. My brother, being also a YouTuber, also knows this guy, thought he doesn't watch his video but track his subscribers.

I don't know why people like him even for his stupid stuff he did. I'm sorry.
Is the Pie a racist? No, you do have to remember he lives solely on Youtube unless that changed... So views matter, if it means pulling out the racist card for a joke so be it, I don't watch his channel tho.

I do find it funny that Disney doesn't want to be associated with them as they're racists themselves, walt Disney was a known racist. But, racism isn't great for the public image.

I do want to point out that Walt Disney grew up in a far different time and what was acceptable now get's you an ass whoopin.