[FORUM GAME] DANGANRONPA FORUM GAME (ALPHA TEST) - GAME ON!

Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Upupupupu, you losers!

Turn this on while listening to my beautiful voice. Trust me, it will make it a lot better.

My bruv Shirokuma and I are beary happy to be able to present you with the first desbearingly thrilling alpha test of our upcoming forum game! It's taken a while, but I'm giddy with excitement! I can't bear the anticipation!

So how's it going to work, you ask? Simple!

There are six playable characters, each with their stats and other boring stuff listed below. In hide tags, so I don't have to look at those ugly numbers every time.

Characters:

Title: Super Duper High School Lucky Student
Sex: Female
HP: 8 Str: 4 Agi: 3 Prc: 5 Cft: 2 Inv: 5
Skill: Cannot be caught off guard. Takes 1 less damage from all attacks.
Favourite thing: Noodle Soup
Weapon proficiency:
- Hands: 0
- Blunt: -1
- Sharp: -1
- Ranged: -1
- Poison: -1

Title: Super Duper High School Pick-pocket
Sex: Male
HP: 6 Str: 3 Agi: 5 Prc: 5 Cft: 1 Inv: 4
Skill: Can steal an item from a player in the same room. (Once per day)
Favourite thing: Hot cocoa
Weapon proficiency:
- Blunt: -1
- Sharp: +1
- Ranged: 0
- Poison: +1

Title: Super Duper High School Magician
HP: 7 Str: 3 Agi: 3 Prc: 4 Cft: 1 Inv: 7
Skill: Can make an item disappear from his inventory into the void. (Once per day)
Favourite thing: Sweets
Weapon proficiency:
- Hands: -1
- Blunt: +1
- Sharp: 0
- Ranged: +1
- Poison: 0

Title: Super Duper High School Spirit Medium
HP: 9 Str: 2 Agi: 3 Prc: 4 Cft: 2 Inv: 5
Skill: Can ask each current murder victim one Yes/No question during class trials. Cannot ask any question concerning the identity of the killer.
Favourite thing: Ramen Burger
Weapon proficiency:
- Blunt: 0
- Sharp: -1

Title: Super Duper High School Fencer
HP: 7 Str: 6 Agi: 5 Prc: 3 Cft: 2 Inv: 4
Skill: Starts off with a personal weapon. Can't be stolen or dropped and takes up no inventory slot.
Favourite thing: Donuts Brownies
Weapon proficiency:
- Blunt: -2
- Sharp: +2

Title: Super Duper High School Forensic Investigator
HP: 6 Str: 3 Agi: 2 Prc: 7 Cft: 3 Inv: 3
Skill: Can create an autopsy report for each murder victim. Will contain more information than the Kumabrothers' file.
Favourite thing: Coffee
Weapon proficiency:
- Blunt: 0
- Sharp: 0
- Ranged: -1
- Poison: +1

Hold on, Shiro is trying to tell me something.

What's that? Numbers are awesome? And I'm acting too much like Cave Johnson from Portal 2?

Right, so apparently I have to tone it down a bit. Call you less names and stuff. Also, apparently I was supposed to explain the rules before giving you the characters. I say screw it, this is only an alpha test, I don't have to listen to anyone, least of all some stupid white goody two-shoes. I'll do whatever the hell I want! If I want a bunch of teenagers to murder each other, more power to me! Who cares?

So, the rules. This part is extremely long and boring. I'll put that shit in hide tags as well. Read it, or don't. I know I sure as hell won't.

Rules:

First of all, a large portion of this game will be played over on a seperate chatroom website, www.chatzy.com. Please make an account there so we can invite you into the rooms. You'll need to give us the email address you used to sign up so we can invite you into the rooms. So if you feel uncomfortable about sharing your email address, please sign up with a fake one.. The chatzy threads work with passwords, so you don't need to give us the email you signed up with. We'll just send you the links and passwords via PM. The main thread here will only be used for sign-ups, messages from the kumas, class trials, and morning assemblies.

Basic rules:
- No editing posts.
- Don't talk about the game outside of this thread and the chatrooms on chatzy. (References are fine, just don't talk about anything that's going on in the game.
- You are free to roleplay as much or as little as you want.
- You may only spend time alone in your room when you are sleeping or crafting.
- Sleeping when you do not need any sleep will not be tolerated.

Phases:
The game is split up into several phases, with 5 phases making up one day. Each phase lasts 24 hours.

The first phase of a day is the morning assembly in the dining hall. This phase can be used for group discussions in the main thread. Attendance is not obligatory, but people who don't attend will not be allowed to post in the thread during the assembly.

The remaining 4 phases are played on the chatroom site.
At the end of each phase, a room must be chosen to move to.
After arriving in the room at the start of the next phase, each player can choose to:
- Use one item from their inventory.
- Use their personal ability.
- Perform one main action.
Each of these three actions can be performed at most once per phase.

The main action can be:
- Examine the room. (A certain type of item can be specified so it will always be found if it exists in the room)
- Attack another player in the room with a specific weapon.
- A room specific main action. (E.G. Crafting: Craft an item using a specified list of items. Cooking-related crafting (the only type in this alpha) can be done in the Kitchen.)
- An unlisted action specified by the player. (Creativity will be rewarded... or punished. Upupupupu.)

Players can also freely talk interact with other players in the same room. This can range from simply talking to gifting items.

Stats:
Each character has 6 main stats that affect various things in the game:
- Health (HP): Determines survivability. If your HP drops to 0, you die. Some items or skills give protection (Ptc). This will absorb damage so you lose less HP upon being attacked. The protection vanishes after absorbing damage.
- Strength (Str): Determines base damage while attacking another player.
- Agility (Agi): Is compared against the opponent's stats for various non-lethal actions.
- Perception (Prc): Determines the amount of items found when examining a room. The amount of items found will be 2/3*Prc, rounded upwards.
- Crafting (Cft): Enhances the effects of crafted items. Each point above 1 will increase one of the item's stats by 1.
- Inventory Size (Inv): The amount of items that can be carried. When examining a room, you may pick up as many items as you want, and swap them with items in your inventory, as long as you carry no more items than your inventory size.

Public and private actions:
All main actions are public. This means that if you use a main action, everyone in the room will be able to see that you used that specific action. They will not, however, see the result of the action. (Except in cases where a major event like someone dying happens.)

Non-main actions and Move are not visible to other players, unless stated otherwise.

Fights and player deaths:
First and foremost, every player may only kill at most two other players. If one player causes the death of more than two others, this player will be executed without trial.

If an attacker attacks someone but is unable to kill the target, the target can choose to either fight back until either player dies, or to run away if their agility stat is greater than or equal to the attacker's agility stat.

The damage dealt upon attacking is calculated as follows:
dmg = a.Str + a.Mgt + a.Prf - b.Ptc + Ofg
where a.Str is the attacker's strength, a.Mgt is the attacker's Weapon Might, a.Prf is the attacker's profiency in the wielded weapon, and b.Ptc is the defender's protection.
Ofg is the Off-guard bonus. If, at the end of a turn, you decide to stay in a room instead of moving to a different one, you can hide in that room. New people entering the room won't be notified that you're in the room. You can still access the room's chatroom, and as such, can overhear all conversation. However, if you post anything in the chatroom while hiding, or use any main action, your cover will be blown and you'll come out of hiding status.
If you attack someone while you're hiding in the room, you'll get an Off-guard bonus of +2 dmg. (Unless this is prevented by abilities like Manako's)

If the target does die in one hit, the amount of struggle and evidence left behind will depend on the amount of overkill; The more overkill there is, the less evidence will be left behind.

If a dead body has been discovered by at least two players, where the murderer does not count as the first person to discover the body (but can count as the second), all players will be alerted that a body has been found.

Class trials:
5 phases after a body discovery message, a class trial will be held to find the murderer(s) of all officially discovered bodies. These class trials will last 72 hours, and operate like a one-day mafia game. All players can freely talk about their discoveries and suspicions during these trials. At the end of the trial, all players have 24 hours to send their votes to either kuma brother via PM.
If the player with the most votes turns out to be the murderer, then the murderer will be executed and the remaining players are set free. If the player with the most votes is not the murderer, all other players will be executed and the murderer is set free.
Should more than one body be found during an investigation, one class trial will be held for both victims. You will be asked to individually vote for the killer of each victim. You are allowed to vote for one person multiple times if you think they killed multiple victims. Only if the murderers of ALL victims are identified correctly, the innocents will win. Every killer who successfully avoids being caught for at least one of their crimes wins.

Fatigue:
At least one phase per day, you must move to your room and spend the entire phase sleeping. Sleeping will restore up to 2 HP. You may choose to ignore this rule, but for every day without sleep, you will gain one point of fatigue (Ftg). Each point of fatigue lowers your perception, strength and max hp by 1. There are several ways to get rid of fatigue:
- Several items, like coffee and tea, lower fatigue.
- Sleeping more than the required one phase per day will remove a point of fatigue for every extra phase slept.
- If you sleep on phase 5, you can choose to sleep in during the next day's morning assembly. Doing so will remove one point of fatigue.

Poison:
In order to poison someone, you can do two things:
- Poison one of your items with a poison from your inventory and try to get someone else to ingest it.
- Poison one of someone else's items directly with a poison from your inventory.

Poisoning one of your items will always work, but can be spotted by anyone in the room with:
b.Prc + b.Prf > a.Agi + a.Prf
Where a.Agi is your agility, a.Prf is your poison proficiency, b.Prc is the other player's perception, and b.Prf is the other player's poison proficiency.

If you try to poison someone's item directly, you do an agility check:
Success if a.Agi + a.Prf > b.Prc + b.Prf
Where a.Agi is your agility, a.Prf is your poison proficiency, b.Prc is the opponent's perception, and b.Prf is the opponent's poison proficiency.
The act of poisoning someone's item directly can again be spotted by any player in the room satisfying:
b.Prc + b.Prf > a.Agi + a.Prf

Different poisons have varying levels of speed and perceptibility.

The three possible speeds are:
- Fast-acting: Death at the end of the phase of ingestion. Guaranteed kill unless immediately treated with an antidote. If the poisoned player is below half health, death is immediate and the poison cannot be treated at all.
- Regular: Death at the end of the phase after the turn of ingestion. If the poisoned player is below half health, death will occur at the end of the turn of ingestion.
- Slow-acting: Death at the end of the phase two phases after the phase of ingestion. If the poisoned player is below half health, death will occur at the end of the phase after the phase of ingestion.

The three possible levels of perceptibility are:
Low: Only players with high perception and poison proficiency will get suspicious of poisoned items or realize they've been poisoned.
Medium: Players with high perception and poison proficiency will immediately get suspicious of poisoned items. Players with average perception and poison proficiency will get a small hint. People with average or high perception and poison proficiency will immediately realize they've been poisoned.
High: Only players with extremely low perception and poison proficiency will not get suspicious of poisoned items or immediately realize they've been poisoned.

Who cares about those freaking rules, bruv? What? Writing them took you very long? I know, that's why I had you do it in the first place! And why can't we start the killing yet anyway? Oh, patience shmatience. If you want to do things your way so badly why don't you do the introduction as well, huh?

Right. I'll let Shiro take over from here cuz I'm bored out of my mind. Don't go anywhere.

Right. Shiro here. I apologize for the way my brother's been acting. So let me take away some of your confusion. Long story short, we're having the six of you kill each other. When somebody dies, we hold a class trial. If the killer can escape conviction, they win this alpha. If the killer is caught, everybody else wins the alpha. Yay! Now, I will actually have to have you all read the rules above. It's actually really important, even if Kuro seems not to think so.

Now, to spice things up a bit, Kuro and I have decided to hide some ingredients around the building so you can cook up a snack or two when you're feeling peckish. You'll see that these snacks can be quite useful in a pinch. But beware, safety goes before everything, so we won't have you kids preparing food outside the kitchen!

Basic recipes:

- Biscuits: Sugar + Flour
- Coffee: Sugar + Coffee beans
- Tea: Sugar + Herbs
- Sweets: Sugar + Fruit
- Brownies: Cocoa + Flour
- Hot cocoa: Cocoa + Sugar
- Ramen burger: Flour + Meat
- Focaccia: Flour + Herbs
- Fruit tea: Fruit + Herbs
- Apple pie: Fruit + Flour
- Meat balls: Meat + Herbs
- Grilled fish: Fish + Herbs
- Noodle soup: Fish + Flour
- Rubbish: Any combinations of two or more ingredients that isn't a recipe, or form a recipe that isn't known by the character.

An item's effects are determined by its ingredients. The effect are:
- Sugar: +1 Agi for the remainder of the phase.
- Cocoa: +1 Str for the remainder of the phase.
- Meat: +2 HP heal.
- Fish: +2 HP heal.
- Flour: +1 Ptc for the remainder of the phase.
- Coffee beans: -1 Ftg.
- Herbs: -1 Ftg.
- Fruits: +1 Prc for the remainder of the phase.

Effects can be amplified by increased crafting skill. The full game will have unedible crafting as well, but this alpha will not.

Well then, now that that's all out of the way, I think we're almost done here. I must say, it'd be very despairful if we threw you in a building while you have no idea what it looks like, but there's no fun in a killing game where everybody just stumbles around in the dark. Therefore, down below you see the floor plan of the building. The rooms with dashed walls are sound-proof, meaning that no sounds can come in from the outside and no sounds can go out from the inside. I do believe the rest is quite self-explanatory.

Map:

Alright, I believe that's all there is to sa-

Upupupupu! Are we finally done here? Finally! Lord almighty, Shiro. I gotta say though, it's pretty impressive how you can make even a killing game sound boring.

Right. So here's what we're gonna do. Or more specifically, what you losers are gonna do. You're gonna go into the replies, say "I'm in, your bearevolence!" and choose your character. And then you're gonna play this alpha and die an utterly meaningless and desbear-filled death. Capice? Good.

See bruv, that's how you convey a message. You're so helpless sometimes. My god.

Manako Egito - Kelvincalanor
Jin Sawai - Kloe
Utaemon Shiraishi - Frogge
Masao Ayasato - CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
Chisaki Hayaken - pianotm
Kyou Kita - Oddrabbit
oddRABBIT
I feel bored. How odd.
Finally.

I'm glad to see this finally happening, even if it's only the demo.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I will be happy to help, and since I know it's only a test, I promise not to rage quit if it isn't working right.

[bI'm in, your bearevolence!

Chisaki Hayaken
Thanks for helping us with testing!
I noticed we missed a few things in the opening post regarding weapon types and more specifically about poisons. I'm afraid it's too late for us to add it right now, so we'll try to put it up tomorrow morning (Central European Time)... Or early in the afternoon, it is weekend after all =P
Kloe
I lost my arms in a tragic chibi accident
I was gonna take Chisaki or Kyou but those are taken...
I choose Jin Sawai, your bearevelence.

Also the OP is written amazingly!
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
SIGN ME UP
utaemon pls
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
That's "Your Bearevolence" to you, young man!

The nerve on some of you teens. This is why I want you to murder each other.
Alright, the rules have been updated. There is a new section about poisons in there and a formula has been added for damage calculation. We also added the weapon proficiencies of all characters in the character descriptions.
Jeroen_Sol
So go read that shit. Or don't. See if I care. Just don't come crying to me if you die without a grasp of what the hell is going on here.
oddRABBIT
I feel bored. How odd.
And so we waited for two more players.
Kloe
I lost my arms in a tragic chibi accident
Yup, Misao and the Main Character!
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
On sunny days, I go out walking
I'll take Masao.
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
On sunny days, I go out walking
I mean, I'm in, your bearship, or w/e
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
Poor manako, no one wants her.
Jeroen_Sol
Only one spot left!

Manako is the Naegi of this game, and as such, she's designed around being hard to kill while also having a hard time killing someone else. In the full game, she'll be one of the people that's useful if you're going for the: "Survive until the end and reveal the mastermind's identity" win condition.
Of course, in this alpha, the win condition simply becomes: "Find the killer and survive the class trial."
But Manako can still get killed, and if you play her right, can kill as well.
Jeroen_Sol
I take it you're in, then? ;)
Jeroen_Sol
To anyone browsing this thread but not joining the game: What is the reason?

Are you not interested in forum games at all?
Is it because the Anime waifu battle royale mafia is still going on? (Mind you, this forum game is NOT a mafia game. Only a small part of the game has mafia elements of any kind.)
Is this game too similar to the Anime Waifu Battle Royale? (While it's true that all players are on their own, in the mafia segments, mislynching means death for everyone, so the innocents are all on the same team. Also, this game will be far less of an rngfest than AWBR.)
Are you burned out on forum games after the non-stop mafia games we've been having?

Any reason not to play is valid, but I'd like to know!
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I'm browsing the thread, so, might as well answer the question posed.

Mostly, I'm not joining because I have next-to-zero free time. Also, not particularly interested in this theme/game. I dunno. Though, if I do get free time to play a forum game, I'd me more inclined to go back to Star Fall.

Unless that game's considered buried/dead/whatever.

Poor Star Fall.