@USER (MENTION USER SUGGESTION)

Pages: 1
Basically let's say I wanted to mention Liberty to a specific topic, so I make @Liberty, so she'll get a notification that she was mentioned. I got this idea from another site that actually does something like this, and it does help bring users together for events or just a social chat.

InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
It's a great idea, if it wouldn't be used for evil.
As long as you can turn it off or edit in some way on the notification end. Say, having it coincide with the Ignore, for one thing (so that people you have on ignore won't bother you).

(Not looking forward to 1000 notices. XD )
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
And don't send notices if the mentions are in quote or hide tags. Otherwise your inbox will get spammed when people keep replying to one another.
author=Red_Nova
And don't send notices if the mentions are in quote or hide tags. Otherwise your inbox will get spammed when people keep replying to one another.

...but, that's exactly when I'd want to get a notice.
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
Nah, see, Red_Nova means you'd get a notice for a reply that wasn't necessarily directed at you, just bulk quoted from someone who did @you.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
author=halibabica
Nah, see, Red_Nova means you'd get a notice for a reply that wasn't necessarily directed at you, just bulk quoted from someone who did @you.

Yep. This guy gets it!

If people REALLY wanted to bring someone in, they could just add in a @name in their reply. Otherwise, you can leave RMN for two hours when a heated discussion pops up and come back to a ridiculous number of unnecessary notices.

And if you're already subscribed to the thread and getting notices for each new reply anyway, then get ready for alert Armageddon.
This feature would need some limitations (such as the ability to turn it off), but its a very powerful feature that I think we should definitely add in the future.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
i don't really care either way. it kinda sounds annoying for the forum proper but w/e. as long as it has a very clear symbol, not just fishing out usernames when mentioned like some places i've seen. some of us have common words as our names, you know :<
InfectionFiles
Does that mean you'd have to type out full usernames? My god, that's absurd
halibabica
It wouldn't work any other way. How is a database supposed to find and page 'halibabica' if all you typed was @hali? No one can have the same screen name, so I don't see it being an issue (unless you're extremely lazy).
author=Craze
i don't really care either way. it kinda sounds annoying for the forum proper but w/e. as long as it has a very clear symbol, not just fishing out usernames when mentioned like some places i've seen. some of us have common words as our names, you know :<

Tell me about it. >.<;

Maybe I should change my username to Liberty21958689597834296791292197458342f3hasd8fa9j2388ydfh923hgah238th2918235ljasdf893c28229
just so I don't get tagged that often ;p
author=Liberty
Maybe I should change my username to Liberty21958689597834296791292197458342f3hasd8fa9j2388ydfh923hgah238th2918235ljasdf893c28229
just so I don't get tagged that often ;p

Making your username long isn't going to cut it. I can always copy it, store it somewhere and paste. Wahahahaha.
I'll put a space in it to make it awkward. :DDD
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
author=halibabica
It wouldn't work any other way. How is a database supposed to find and page 'halibabica' if all you typed was @hali? No one can have the same screen name, so I don't see it being an issue (unless you're extremely lazy).

Offer drop-down suggestions as you type? I'm picturing a "Tag User" button not unlike our
button.

You press it, it brings up a single-line field, and you start typing the username you want to tag. As you go passed, say, three or four characters; it starts recommending username matches. If you're feeling clever you could sort it by the user's activity instead of alphabetically, so that typing "Hali" brings up halibabica first instead of users halitosis or hali-ma.
halibabica
As if I'm active enough to be at the top of that list ;P

That's a good idea, though! I'd keep it as just a field to type in, though. A single-column list would be way, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long.
Wow! A lot of activity here! (Finally a idea that works)

I agree there should be limitations like turning off Tagging, and in fact the same place I got this idea from also does this well (because everyone kept trying to annoy the Mods & certain Admins lol).
InfectionFiles
I feel I sound like like broken record by now but it's always better to have options! So I'm behind the idea if people would use it and not abuse it.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Please make it so if I tag Liberty 60 times in the same post she gets 60 notices. That's my only request.
Pages: 1