DELETING OLD VERSIONS: A GOOD OR BAD IDEA?

Pages: 1
Hello RMN! I have a quick question. Every developer eventually releases a demo to gain interest of the players, but what if those players download older versions of your project that don't represent the current image? Is it a good idea to keep those demos for historical/nostalgic purposes or should they be stored away for the developer only?

I'm asking this simply because a project of mine has 11 demos since 2012 and every one below #11 is incredibly inferior(in my opinion)to the current version. Have any of you ever stored away older demos for the sake of keeping a solid image of your project(s)? If so, why? Thank you:)
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Keep them stored on your hard drive for yourself in case an issue pops up and you need to compare changes made in different versions, but don't put them out on the internet. You don't want people playing that crap - that's why you updated the game.

I've never heard of a game letting people download old outdated versions of it, and I can't imagine any reason why you'd want to do so. The idea sounds pretty ridiculous to me.

Office productivity software sometimes lets customers download old versions, either because different customers who are working with each-other need to use the same version, or because newer versions might not be compatible with newer computers, or because customers who are used to a certain interface in the software might be incapable of doing their jobs with the new interface. When you're adding new content to games, you do not have any of these issues.
author=LockeZ
Keep them stored on your hard drive for yourself in case an issue pops up and you need to compare changes made in different versions, but don't put them out on the internet. You don't want people playing that crap - that's why you updated the game.

I've never heard of a game letting people download old outdated versions of it, and I can't imagine any reason why you'd want to do so. The idea sounds pretty ridiculous to me.

Good points! Can't believe it took me so long to actually figure out what to do with the things. I'll store them. I'm still learning lots about being a game developer, this is one of those things that has been eating me for a while. Thanks:)
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
What was your reason for leaving them up in the first place?
author=LockeZ
What was your reason for leaving them up in the first place?

That's a good question. I guess it was for nostalgic purposes in the past. Now I realize as development gets deeper that it isn't necessary to have old news up. I figured having one demo up only would prevent any confusion. At one point I was thinking that maybe it would be good for people to see how far a project has come, but in the end, they really don't need to see those any longer.

Its like people say, sometimes nostalgia can be both a good and bad thing in any creative work.
author=LockeZ

Archival/Historical purposes is usually a motivator in these cases. There's quite a few people out there who want to document the differences between a game in its original state upon release and its state post-patching. I don't see any harm in doing this for a free game, or a game long past its profitability.

For a demo with 11 different builds, though? Taking old builds down probably wouldn't hurt.
author=SgtMettool
author=LockeZ
Archival/Historical purposes is usually a motivator in these cases. There's quite a few people out there who want to document the differences between a game in its original state upon release and its state post-patching. I don't see any harm in doing this for a free game, or a game long past its profitability.

For a demo with 11 different builds, though? Taking old builds down probably wouldn't hurt.

Good point! I already took down every old demo as of this morning. Maybe I'll add an old archive section in the game page, but not the download section. It was painful having to go back and play them all because their game play was awkward. But, we all gotta start from somewhere correct?
Well we usually store old release versions in archive while have at least 5 previous version available for download if there any case the latest version broke on a specific system or user's PC (ex version 1.0 works on PC1 then version 1.1 is release and PC1 can't run them properly but PC2 works fine) because of a update.

Edit:
And yes I returned from a freaking long hitus.
author=jomarcenter
Well we usually store old release versions in archive while have at least 5 previous version available for download if there any case the latest version broke on a specific system or user's PC (ex version 1.0 works on PC1 then version 1.1 is release and PC1 can't run them properly but PC2 works fine) because of a update.

Edit:
And yes I returned from a freaking long hitus.

Another good point! Recently I have been thinking a lot about the players and gave them a dual soundtrack in my previous demo release. This not only is a good feature, but its also for systems that don't support MP3. Most systems(if not all) support midi, so the soundtrack will play regardless of your system. MP3 was added for a high quality sound experience for people who simply don't like Midi. Plus, you can edit the midi track's instruments with your preferred program and MP3s altogether.

I'll find out what do do with this, I strongly believe an old Archive section is best. And welcome back!...um I've never met you before, but glad you are back. I'll check your profile to see what you are making.
Multiples downloads tend to confuse players. The only good reason to have multiple downloads is when you created platform specific builds of your game (for example: one download for Windows, one download for Linux). You can keep your development versions on your local drive for debugging purpose. Keeping one or two old stable versions should be fine.

author=XBuster
you can edit the midi track's instruments with your preferred program and MP3s altogether.

What program do use / recommend?
author=Irog
Multiples downloads tend to confuse players. The only good reason to have multiple downloads is when you created platform specific builds of your game (for example: one download for Windows, one download for Linux). You can keep your development versions on your local drive for debugging purpose. Keeping one or two old stable versions should be fine.

author=XBuster
you can edit the midi track's instruments with your preferred program and MP3s altogether.

What program do use / recommend?

Good question! All you really need is Anvil Studio and Synthfont. Anvil Studio is best for editing midis, Synthfont allows you to transform midis into MP3s with your desired sound font. Its an amazing program. Would you like links to them and/or my favorite soundfont? One of them sounds like a glorified orchestra.
I'm actually looking for good midi tracks or tools to create/edit midi. So, yes, link your favorite!
author=Irog
I'm actually looking for good midi tracks or tools to create/edit midi. So, yes, link your favorite!

Ok, here you go.

For anvil studio: Click the download link below. This is by far the best midi editing software I've found and I always use it for literally everything.
Anvil Studio Website

For Synthfont...download the free version below the first choice. With Synthfont, you can use various soundfounts from hundreds of games, game consoles, real instruments, or even orchestra instruments. Want to make music sound like Super Mario World, download a SMW soundfont and fly away! But my favorite one is SGM. I'll provide a link to it it as well.

Synthfont

As for the soundfont, look at this video and get the link in the description. If you need help as of how to use it, feel free to ask. It really is a breathtaking soundfont.
Pages: 1