[RM2K3] HOW TO MAKE AN INTENTIONALLY TERRIBLE GAME?

Pages: first prev 12 last
The main character is a brunette hero type who mainly only talks at plot points. I have a martial artist type girl whose personality is basically "I'm gonna challenge the boss to prove I'm strong" then she pretty much almost never talks again. A cliche anime catgirl. And an angel shamelessly borrowed from one of my other games with dumbed-down spells and mechanics.

Will do on the crazy fast clock. So far, I'm setting it to add 1d20 (+random 1 to 20) +(5 to 30) minutes per tick of the clock. I'm also making the day high saturation to give it a trippy washed out look, and making the weather too random and fast. This gives a better feel to being poorly put together, and it's rather hilarious to watch. Gonna make some sort of overnight deal, where at night you can get killed/robbed/attacked by monsters/etc.
Enemies should be able to accidentally kill themselves, and if your hp is below a certain amount, but not knocked out, your character should be removed from the party permanently.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
Make sure to have random encounters and no ability to save whenever you want. That'll get you 90% of the way there. Everything else is just icing on the cake.
Sailerius, already way ahead of you. Not only can you only save on save points, but your save point is a fairy that flies away from you.
Some games for inspirations:

Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde (NES) You start out as Dr. Jekyll, and your weapon is some kind of club/cane thing. Women attack you, and you realize your cane does nothing. Then after a few moments, the screen turns dark, a lightning bolt hits you and you become Mr. Hyde. For a few seconds you enjoy your dark quasi powers, then another lightning bolt hits you.... DEAD. What I love about this? There is no visual timer in the HUD for when this happens. Really bad :P

Brandish (SNES) Ok cool still graphics in the opener to FOOL YOU into thinking this game isn't total crap. Then the game, with a view system that is useless, makes no sense, and makes monsters disappear when not in view (but they can still damage you out of view). Really really bad....

7th Saga (SNES) The pointless grind to end all pointless grinds. But that's not what makes this game so horrible... it's the oversized tiles. It would be like playing legos your whole life and then switching to oversized toddler blocks. This game is sending me back to the womb?!?! NOOO! Super bad :P

Ultimate Weapon (PS1) Ripped straight out of the movie Predator, an alien race is watching the MC ( a professional boxer ) and thinks HE is the ultimate weapon, so they take him to their planet. What makes this so bad is the controls and UI. For some reason the ultimate weapon can't step over a crack in the ground 2 inches deep. He just stops, staggers, and utters the voice sample "No way!". Retarded bad :P
Someone shoot me, I seriously had an idea for an RPG that begins with an unlosable abilitease intro battle followed by a very long opening crawl, then the actual game begins, and all of this happens before a single save point and before the save point there would be an enemy that can't be avoided and kills you unless you perform a very specific series of moves.
JuSt MaKe SuRe YoUr GaMe NoT BaN YoU.
If you want your game to LOOK intentionally bad (in an aesthetically interesting way), I made something today out of sheer boredom that would be useful for a Kusoge style game.

Control Variables : #0001 Red = Random -255..255
Control Variables : #0002 Green = Random -255..255
Control Variables : #0003 Blue = Random -255..255
$gameSystem.setWindowTone( [$gameVariables.value(1), $gameVariables.value(2), $gameVariables.value(3)] );

I tested it several times and my wife was trying to predict what window color would appear next, it became a fun game within a game (the greatest anachronism). Plus it makes your game looks like it's glitching even though it is not.
I want to play your game... it sounds fun!
An idea to spoof Crisis Core by making enemies not attack 10-20 turns in a row while you continually pick attack.

Set a common event that every turn has a 1 in 20 or so chance to trigger a slot wheel animation resulting in massive HP bonuses and the like.

Would love to fit a sequence like this in a game somewhere. :p
(Maybe it could be a side character you take control of temporarily)
Mwahahaha!!! They said it couldn't be done, but it's done!

It's done. Someone give it terribad reviews.

https://rpgmaker.net/games/1071/
Use that super up-beat royalty free music that's used in every youtube DIY video
You know how I said there are save fairies that you need to catch in order to save?

Well, there are also evil fairies you need to avoid to avoid a gameover. I believe the game is sufficiently horrible now.

Oh yes, and bright pink on pink text (it's changeable).
Explain nothing to your player and throw in mechanics that seemingly makes no sense.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Making a game unplayably bad is really easy - but if you want to make a game truly terrible, I think you need to make it just barely fun and playable enough to make the player not drop it. You want to string them along with the promise that it will definitely turn around and really pick up, but then slowly wear them down with just-frustrating enough design - bad UI, not enough save points, scenes and sections that stick around longer than they need to, irritating voice acting, passable but not great music, etc.

That way, when they finally either beat it, or give it up, they'll wake up the next day and realize how incredibly frustrated they are that they wasted so much time on an awful game.
author=slash
Making a game unplayably bad is really easy - but if you want to make a game truly terrible, I think you need to make it just barely fun and playable enough to make the player not drop it. You want to string them along with the promise that it will definitely turn around and really pick up, but then slowly wear them down with just-frustrating enough design - bad UI, not enough save points, scenes and sections that stick around longer than they need to, irritating voice acting, passable but not great music, etc.

That way, when they finally either beat it, or give it up, they'll wake up the next day and realize how incredibly frustrated they are that they wasted so much time on an awful game.

Yay! It's finally playably bad. It completely sucks though. We have a (bugfix, since if you don't attack faster in battle you die, and it's turn-based, complete with waiting your turn while 8 monsters attack) feature that allows you to multiattack. Which looks very ridiculous, cause you tend to whack and whack until critters are dead.
Pages: first prev 12 last