HOBBY TO PROFESSION, LOOKING FOR SUCCESS STORIES

Pages: first prev 123 last
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=Red_Nova
For every Notch and McMillen, there are hundreds (if not thousands) of untold failure stories that no one wants to read or write about. I'm not saying don't follow your passion, but take a long, hard look at your situation and ask yourself if NOW is the best time to strike out on your own, rather than "oh, these people did it, so I'll do it too!"

Yeah this is good. Should be said that some of those Notches *were* the hundreds/thousands of untold failure stories before they became Notches. The older I get, the more I realize life is just a numbers game. Enough monkeys at the typewriter and you'll produce a masterpiece eventually.
@Red_Nova

Internships over here are not worth it. This is according to our professors. I am working hard on getting a paper or two published. Immediately after my undergrads I will try for a masters abroad, whose requirements I am figuring out as of right now. Targeting a few good universities known for their game development courses and other more traditional-safer disciplines of study.

--> get a masters
--> secure a job, any valid job
--> somewhere in between figure out how to make games for a living

This too suggested by another professors

These are my current train of thoughts. Sounds good?
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
Not personally living in Bangladesh, I can't speak officially about the value of internships there. However, I do know how important they are here in the US. College educations are becoming more common here, and you can't get by with less like you used to. Employers look at things like internships to measure the experience level of their potential new hires. Having a piece of paper that says "Bachelor's of Whatever" carries more weight if you can also say "I did real work for something related." A Master's degree would obviously be more impressive, but I can't imagine it being that much different. If you're working in your desired field, you're not wasting your time.
Desired fields would be games. None of the few game companies have done anything substantial. They make all their money from government funds, they get money to make anything related to the country, no matter how crappy. If an internship still helps I could try for that. But if whoever is going to process my application goes through these companies' portfolio, they will not be impressed :3

And I don't see any way of securing a job abroad, may be US, right after my undergrads
halibabica
Well, of course game design is ultimately the desired field. I wouldn't be doing temp accounting work right now if I had the wherewithall to pursue my dream job. I also wouldn't be doing temp accounting work if I had any experience to show for myself when I graduated college.

The point is, whatever your intentions, if you want to find a job and support yourself, experience is key. If you do an internship in the field of the job you're trying to get, you will have better chances of finding that job, or any job at all. Understand your goals and how you're trying to achieve them.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
halibabica speaks wise words. Listen to them.

--> secure a job, any valid job

You know what helps you secure a job? Experience. You know what gives you experience? Internships.

In the long term, employers aren't going to care what grade you made on your math test a few semesters ago. A degree is going to show them that you can learn to code. Experience is going to show them that not only can you code, but you have coded before. Take a guess which one is more valuable?

I don't care where you are. Any professor that says gaining experience is not worth your time is an idiot, and should be fired.

EDIT: Those papers you're working on getting published are a good start. They're not the same thing as a completed game, but they do a little to set you apart from the other greenhorns with nothing else under their belts. Keep at it, if you can. The more relevant items you can put in your resume, the better.
I should have better explained. Faculties explain as such, interns over here are basically tea boys and we wont be getting any hands on work experience. I have several finished games, but nothing to boast about.

That faculty is also the one helping me with the papers :3 and all papers are also related to video games :3 also wrote the proposal letter for a game lab at our university, most probably will get funds for it from the governemnt :3 several participation and few wins from programming contests and hackathons, 1 win was a video game :3

As you can see, I shoehorn video games into everything basically

I guess now I will have to squeeze in an internship as well. The things I do for love <3
Just a thought : Don't sell yourself short on your "several finished games, but nothing to boast about". These are projects you began and finished on your own initiative. Seeing something through to completion is rare among people from all walks of life, and employers know it too.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
author=SaitenHazard
I should have better explained. Faculties explain as such, interns over here are basically tea boys and we wont be getting any hands on work experience.

Sounds similiar to internships I hear about in Pakistan. Are the ones you've heard of unpaid as well?
halibabica
That sucks. I've never experienced it personally, but I've heard rumors of internships where you just end up doing stupid crap like your employer's laundry or something instead of actual related work. That's bad business practice and I'm surprised to hear its still a thing (but not exactly shocked, either).

One word of caution, though...

from SaitenHazard
I shoehorn video games into everything basically

While this is fine ordinarily, be careful about how you bring up your game design experience with potential employers. I've had trouble in the past of seeming unfocused on my career because I seem more interested in my hobbies, which is absolutely true, but that doesn't mean I don't want/need a job. If you're aiming to get hired, you can't give them any reason to doubt your conviction, and if you come off as having other priorities, it may be picked up on and cost you.
I hope all these advice stays somewhere in the back of my head when it comes time to use them. Life is not particular hard, albeit tiring, so much to consider :/
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
author=SaitenHazard
There are no paid interns in the country :3

Yeah I thought so. In that case, what your professors said about internships not being "worth it" kinda makes sense now.
author=harmonic
This was my life for 2 years. It was just like having any old job. Except longer hours, less job security, and terrible snacks always available (so you can be kept at the office working in a refined sugar-induced zombie like state)

YMMV of course but the complete loss of creative freedom, strict deadlines to meet, complete surrender of intellectual property, not being allowed to gam mak on the side...
Exactly what I imagined ... Life is too short to be a fat ass sugar zombie.

I found out that I can't stand any kind of computer job. Did that for 1.5 years. That was more than enough. Spent two summers in a bureau watching the sun shining from inside. Never again! Never ...

experience is key.
Experience + youth = master key!
Pages: first prev 123 last