[RM2K3] SWITCHES AND VARIABLES QUESTIONS

Pages: 1
Hi all , I really want to and need to learn more about Variables and Switches , I have learned a little bit so far I can

Create treasure chests
Create a collectable item for example- a sonic Ring or Mario Coin
Created a fetch quest of finding a missing item and returning it to owner for rewards.

I think that's about it so far.

I found this video on youtube about Variables for 2003 -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7QUWYKR0Uw&spfreload=10

Can any of you guys tell me if it's good video to start to learn about Variables because right now they baffle the hell out of me , which is really frustrating me , because then I get depressed that I can't learn it and I see so many others just breezing through.

I really want to learn to make side quest log book type of thing but have no clue where to start , there are many tutorials but many go over my head atm.

Did any of you guys struggle to learn Variables ?

Thanks for taking the time to read and thanks for any help you can give or point me to.
Trihan
"It's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."
Okay, so a switch is kind of the equivalent of a light switch. Either it's on, or it's off. You can then have branching outcomes in an event based on whether it's on. For example, you have a treasure chest with an item in it, and obviously you only want the player to get the item once. So you turn a switch on after you get the item, and have a second event page in the chest event which requires that switch to be on. Then, when you get the item, the second page will take precedence, and the player will no longer be able to get the item.

Variables, although less experienced users tend to think they're some kind of eldritch magic, aren't much more complex. It's just that rather than having on or off as possible states, variables can have a value anywhere from 0 to the maximum numerical value a variable can have.

So let's say you have a sidequest where you have to find a number of objects on a map, and in an event you need to be able to check that the player has them all. In each object's event, you would add 1 to a variable and then in your check event you can look for the variable being equal to the number of objects you had to find.

You could also use a variable to track which part of a multi-part quest the player is on. You'd just set it to the next number up when they complete each part, and you can then have an event check what part they're on for figuring out character dialogue and stuff.
Variables are a lot more flexible than switches, which only check for on or off. You mainly use them to keep track of numbers, but you can tie those numbers to various conditions (like Trihan said - checking to see where you are in a quest or counting how many of an item you have checked on a map.)

It can take time to get used to using them, don't worry. A lot of people have that issue. I hated them and didn't know how to use them for a long time before I tried to make a simple minigame and they 'clicked' with me (noughts and crosses).

They're absurdly useful once you do understand them, though. Basically switches with more than two modes, that you can change and have affect things. Some things you can do with them:
- Create an affection system where giving gifts to NPCs gives them x 'points' based on the gift.
- Make randomised monster encounters for invisible roaming on-map enemies.
- Random or set item chest finds depending on what you have in your pack or how far you are into a quest.
- Counting how many steps you take for a puzzle (get through this area with only 12 steps, for example).
- Check the x and y position of the hero and put a lantern effect over them. Or the x/y of another event and check when it is pushed onto a certain position (boulder push puzzle with switches.)
- Remove/Add set amounts of EXP/HP/MP/other stats based on various conditions or events.
- Make a custom menu or battle system.
Pages: 1