CONSOLE RPG MAKERS (RPG MAKER FES)

Pages: 1
unity
You're magical to me.
Just saw a tweet about NIS America taking preorders for RPG Maker Fes, and I'd figured now was as good a time as any to ask anyone who has experience with them about console RPG Makers. Namely, how do you share your games you make with them, and do you find them limiting to work with?

My only experience was with one of the PS2 ones and I never got far with it ^^;;
I did some googling and it looks like you can share games and others can play them for free over Nintendo's network. From this SiliconEra article:

Play and Share for Free– Anyone who downloads the free RPG Maker Player app can play RPGs created by RPG Maker Fes owners for free. Share the fun with your friends and people all over the world.
Backwards_Cowboy
owned a Vita and WiiU. I know failure
It looks like a port of RPG Maker DS, which if I remember correctly, was plagued by space limitations and one-game-per-cartridge. The 3DS should be better since it runs on removable storage, but is it possible to create custom content or at least edit colors? It would be great as something to just mess around with on a long flight or at the doctor's office, but being limited to RTP (depending on the size of the RTP, this could be very bad or doable) is a major concern for me.
unity
You're magical to me.
author=GreatRedSpirit
I did some googling and it looks like you can share games and others can play them for free over Nintendo's network. From this SiliconEra article:

Play and Share for Free– Anyone who downloads the free RPG Maker Player app can play RPGs created by RPG Maker Fes owners for free. Share the fun with your friends and people all over the world.

Wow! Thanks, GRS! :DDDDD I should have looked harder XD;

author=Backwards_Cowboy
It looks like a port of RPG Maker DS, which if I remember correctly, was plagued by space limitations and one-game-per-cartridge. The 3DS should be better since it runs on removable storage, but is it possible to create custom content or at least edit colors? It would be great as something to just mess around with on a long flight or at the doctor's office, but being limited to RTP (depending on the size of the RTP, this could be very bad or doable) is a major concern for me.

Yeah, same here. While a portable work environment might be nice, the limitations may be a bit much for me. Also, I have to consider whether or not it would reach anyone and anyone would play it XD;

Similar to what you said, if the RTP's real nice and has a lot of options, I might not mind using it, but otherwise that could be a problem. Didn't realize it was a port either, which is interesting.
Oh god, this brings me way back when i was like 6-7 when i played around with rpg maker for the ps1. I think it was a great "Game" if you wanted to make a very basic rpg, kind of like default rpg maker. It even came with a graphic editor! I spent many many hours on it as a kid and i think it is one of the reasons why i started making games.
I'd be surprised if they finally moved on from a character's stat gains on level up being static and having no base stats. iirc up to the ps2 rpg maker they were still doing that (the fancy 3d one at least, the more basic 3d one iirc had a lot more functionality?). I can't find any detailed features list besides some basic functionality and what I did find didn't mention any sort of custom assets. There was a suggestion of DLC and asset packs to expand on the fantasy setting stuff but that's all I could find.
unity
You're magical to me.
Wow. ;_; Yeah, that sounds like it lacks too much in the way of customization if you can't even adjust base stats.
If it is a port (or even just to see what the series has done recently) you could grab a rom and DS emulator and give it a spin. It'd be in Japanese but you could cludge your way through or even use Google translate to try and meander your way through (you can draw the hiragana/katakana/kanji on google's webpage or download their app and take a picture of your screen and see if the app can pick up the Japanese and translate it). It's better than me rehashing a RPG Maker from over a decade ago that had a ton of limitations* at least.

* Since battles were in 3rd person and due to character animations only certain characters could equip certain weapons types. Fun!
Pages: 1