[RMVX ACE] WHAT DO YOU CONSIDER A PLAYABLE/SMOOTH FPS?

Pages: 1
Vandriette
"The purpose of life is to end." -Agent Smith
What framerate do you guys normally find comfortable in a Maker VX Ace game, or really, any game in general?

Me personally, I consider 20+ playable, but I'd rather know your opinions.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

For RPG Maker?
You have to make a ton of events or a really large map to usually stagger the frame rate. Regardless of your system specs this engine should be running 25-30 FPS. Though I have no idea how to know how fast my games run. You need some spanky program to figure that stuff out.

Generally in an RM game if you're noticing framerate drops, it's because of a problem with your game (too many events, bad parallel logic, etc). Meaning, if you're seeing a drop, even an acceptable drop, you should work to fix it. It might be fine on your machine, but take pity on the people trying to play it on a 90's toaster.

(I've met a couple people who say they started playing RM2k games because it's all their hardware could support at the time, it does make a difference)
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
What the fuck is wrong with you guys 2D games should never run below 60 FPS. Even 3D games shouldn't, but a locked 30 is at least acceptable.
I usually did fine with locked 30 stuff, but then I also play less-action-focused games (I am terrible with motionblur) and I think the transition camerawise makes it more visible when turning or stuff? Haven't really looked at it.

ANYHOW.
30 is usually acceptable. A lot of console games run that way, or other stuff locked for nefarious purposes and so can be considered the norm (tho it's shifting) and at least acceptable.
60+ is preferable. How much you notice depends on the individual, but it is much preferable.
Anything below makes one scream for good life.

And if your game lags, do something about it. I remember being asked to playtest something way back, and while I really liked the game I literally found it unplayable on the big world-map thing you need to spend a while on and quit.
VX games run below 60? If that's the case, the code is not managing resources well somewhere, whether it's the engine itself or a script being used.

It's annoying that frame rate has become such a talking point because it's skewing how people think about it, so I'm going to talk about this having been writing a 2D engine in OpenGL for the past year and getting down and dirty with this. First off, movies and games are completely different in terms of frame rate, so separate the two from the discussion entirely before you even think it.

At some point, 30 became the norm in AAA games because they're pushing so many resources to the graphics card, and due to maybe some laziness or time constraints when it came to optimization, couldn't consistently get 60, and 30 could be argued as "cinematic" by marketing teams who don't understand the tech and just want to get a game shipped. With 2d games, there's really no excuse for anything under 60, especially on PC because there aren't nearly as many resources going to the graphics card.

The game itself should be pushing as many frames as possible and controlling the passage of time within the game accordingly... aka 120fps, 60fps and 30fps should always reflect a second of time in-game. This seems obvious but it's tricky when you are actually programming it because it could mean a sprite zipping across the screen in an unintended fashion on once PC, and the expected speed on another PC. The frame rate should generally try to sync up to the refresh rate of the monitor (60fps = 60hz, 120fps = 120hz, etc) because it looks the best and is maximizing the hardware. If the frame rate goes over the refresh rate of the monitor, you'll get screen tearing, meaning frames are getting wasted, and if it's is under, you get the choppy effect which causes people to get up in arms about this issue.

See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aD7urU2QWlM?vq=hd720

It's pretty simple though. Monitors and tvs are never below 60hz, so don't limit your game to 30. Ultimately, you don't know what kind of PC is going to run your game, so you need to account for slower ones to some degree, which is where that optimization stuff comes in. Those developing engines/makers know this going in so that their end users (creators like you and I) don't have to think about it that much.

author=WIP
What the fuck is wrong with you guys 2D games should never run below 60 FPS. Even 3D games shouldn't, but a locked 30 is at least acceptable.
author=kory_toombs
Though I have no idea how to know how fast my games run. You need some spanky program to figure that stuff out.

Press F2 while testing your game in window mode. The frame rate will appear next to the window title.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=WIP
What the fuck is wrong with you guys 2D games should never run below 60 FPS.
I believe every version of RPG Maker runs at 30 or 40 FPS by default, except maybe MV which I don't know anything about. If you're running RMXP, VX, or VX Ace, increasing it to 60 is a one-line script edit. Just put this in the Main script before the title scene line:

Graphics.frame_rate = 60

Unfortunately even on a massively high-end system, it'll constantly slow down to about 59-58 any time the player is moving, even with absolutely no events and no scripts. And to even slower speeds any time a battle animation is playing, because RPG Maker is coded like crap. Also it'll drop to like 30 for a split second during scene transitions, but that's not as big of a deal, because during a scene transition the game isn't accepting any player input and the screen is muddled anyway.

All of this is perhaps the reason why it's locked at a lower framerate by default. When RPG Maker's frame rate falls, it doesn't skip displaying frames, it slows down the game. As a result, it may be beneficial to set the framerate to something a little lower if you're making an action game where timing is important.
Backwards_Cowboy
owned a Vita and WiiU. I know failure
I find anything 28 FPS or higher to be playable, although I can accept 26 FPS depending on how fast the gameplay is in general. I prefer >40 FPS, but I don't lose my mind when I encounter locked 30 FPS like some people do.
I've been conditioned through old and slow machines throughout my life to find most anything acceptable.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
author=kentona
I've been conditioned through old and slow machines throughout my life to find most anything acceptable.
^we aren't spoiled
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I never knew that you could do that with F2.
I didn't really notice anything in my game slowing down when the frame rate dropped though. I mean I had frame rates of 17 in Hired Sword during a battle event. But the game wasn't moving slower.
Dragnfly
Beta testers!? No, this game needs a goddamn exorcist!
I thought Resistance and the first two FEAR games were really smooth and... oh. You mean that FPS.

I'm fine at 15+. These aren't some super fancy AAA games we're making here.

FPS drops in RM are 99% of the time caused by scripts meant to give some effect, either visually or through gameplay. For those of us who can't code, our hands are pretty tied if the script isn't optimised well. I had a stealth script where the creator basically said "this script is perfect. If you say it's not, then I'll spread your e-mail address to every mailing list and hack site out there.". Luckily other scripts appeared because that one only allowed a max of 2 stealth detection enemies on a map at once before the framerate dropped to about 3.

If it's not your script and you can't code, and the creator either doesn't want to fix it or can't figure out how, then you're looking at paying a bloody fortune to have a new one made. Or give up on whatever features it's giving you.
The best frame rate is: player configurable. There is no one-frame-rate-fits-all. I'm personally ok with 20+.

Note that your game has to run smoothly while other applications (like system update, video recoding/streaming) run on the same machine. So don't use up all the CPU or GPU to run your game at high FPS.
I don't mind playing in 30 fps. But I'm not a competitive player and I don't play competitive games. I think there are other aspects much more important than a high fps. For example, if a game lags, then it's better to have low fps instead.
depends on the type of game you are creating,but frame rate for all games should be at a minimum of 30 fps.
Pages: 1