[POLL] IS THE BREATH OF THE WILD (THE ZELDA) REALLY THAT BAD?

Poll

WELL IS IT
HELP ME - Results

, YES
23%
, NO
58%
NEUTRAL!
17%

Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
It reached a certain degree of popularity; certain people will trash it.

Reword for LockeZ: "It is impossible for me to enjoy an open world game because it cannot--by its very nature--emphasize the elements I enjoy the most in games."

Reword for Sailerius: "I try to shed light on other decent games by casting a shadow over popular titles; it's basically a victimless crime, and I think people can at least respect that I promote lesser known games."

I used to take both approaches when expressing my opinions, so I kinda know why you do what you do.

I haven't played the game so I can't even really form an opinion. All I know is that it'll take a heck of a lot of awesomeness for it to trump OoT, MM, and LA/Oracle games for me. Part of that is nostalgia talking, but those entries were solid and have all aged well (especially thanks to the 3DS versions).
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
"You have not changed a bit. Once a hero, always a hero." ~ Breath of the Wild

You heard it here first, folks; one hundred years and still no character development. Nintendo, you played yourself.
The new Zelda combines all the things I hate in video games into one game:
- open world
- breakable weapons
- annoying menu handling
- "crafting"
- action combat that takes place directly on the map
- lack of levelup system

Can't judge the game itself, though, as I haven't played it and will not play it.

I agree with Locke. Can totally relate to the frustration about everything going open world.

To be fair, the Zelda style that is more like "aimless roaming" is still more acceptable for me that the open world type that's all "work through this list of 500 pointless side quests".
I can see how the formula does suit Zelda better than other things in the sense that roaming and discovery has always played a big part.
But in the same vein I loved the familiarity and fondness you get of the places you travel through (entering hyrule field <3), so I can see how that is tricky.

Some people love the sense of discovery n novelty in open world games. I never got into it as much myself either.

I am open to try it eventually (when I get the chance to try at someone else's place/console, that is ;))
Yet seing the "weapons" in action where they break after 5 swings ... makes me .. really sad to just watch it lol.
It's like someone went "Remember deku sticks? They broke immediately if you use them for hitting stuff. Let's make all our weapons like that!"
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I remember the original Legend of Zelda on NES being a game that was as close to open world as you could get at the time. There was no direction: when you were told to go somewhere, you just had to wander until you stumbled on it. There were secrets to be found: chop up bushes and find secret stairs, push statues and some of them will move, not all cracked walls need to be bombed to complete the game, and there were secret paths. There was even the Second Quest, that when you beat the game, you can play again with locations, objects, and creatures rearranged, with a higher difficulty. I don't see how making Breath of the Wild open world can be viewed as a deviation from previous Zelda titles.
I am EXTREMELY ENJOYING BotW. There is a certain endless sort of fun to be had running around exploring with excellent controls and fun combat. There's not that much to do compared to some other open-world games, but what there is is very well done. Flying around with the glider is massively enjoyable.

I have three (3) qualms with the game:

1) Weapons break far too easily. This is a comment complain and is entirely true. I've been in fights against three enemies where I've broken four medium-tier weapons. Early weapons are even worse. It's not a bad concept, and I've adapted my playstyle to it, but there's no denying it's frustrating when a weapon says "noted for its durability!" and then it lasts two fights.

2) The music stinks. There's not very much of it, and I've only run into a handful of songs I enjoy. I really enjoy ambience in games, but there's not very much of that, either. Some areas are huge exceptions to this and tout excellent sound and music, but mostly there is either no music or not very good music with nothing to fill in that audio space. Zelda is notorious for its incredible music. Why would they change that?

3) It doesn't feel that much like a classic Zelda game, which I imagine is a point of contention for a lot of people. There's very little dungeon development like you'd find in earlier titles. I think it still retains some of the feel, certainly, and I appreciate all the new ideas greatly, so this is a minor qualm. All the really good Zelda games before it have played a part in breaking the mold, so it makes sense that this one would, too.

That being said, I think they're going to be using this engine for the next Zelda game, as well, and I can't wait. With the engine complete, they can focus on adding lots of fun stuff to do to improve the exploration even more. I already know how I'd make it, and I'm interested to see how Nintendo handles it.

re: many complaints about open worldiness: I am replaying Skyrim at the same time as I play BotW, and to somehow equate the two because they're both open world ("everything going open world") is nonsense. Zelda's open world feels like a massive, truly open playground of exploration, whereas Skyrim's is more of a quest/dungeon/treasure hunt. When I play Skyrim I'm looking for things that will get me off the main map and net me specific rewards. When I play Zelda, I'm content to just roam around and see what it out there, knowing full well that even my most prized treasures are fleeting (since they break two fucking seconds later!). They feel nothing alike, despite both being open world.
author=LockeZ
author=WIP
Did you even play the previous Zelda game? Their formula was so stale and factory-like it was barely enjoyable.
All the problems I had with Skyward Sword were the parts where they deviated from the formula. I didn't think the motion controls worked well or added anything meaningful, and I was irritated that the game had half as many tools and half as many dungeons as most other Zelda games. The flight was just as dumb as sailing was in Wind Waker, and the weird stealth sections in the spirit world were irritating because they took too long and you kept having to restart them. There were also extremely few puzzles or secrets outdoors; they were all inside the dungeons.

All I want out of a Zelda game is for them to actually stick to their formula. They have a serious problem with refusing to do so, and I don't understand why. Does somebody in the Nintendo staff think that Ocarina of Time doesn't have a winning formula? They need to stop trying to come up with new ideas. All they have to do is make more content with the same ideas.

Edit: Wait, I guess the actual previous Zelda game was Link Between Worlds? Link Between Worlds was a fucking masterpiece. I hope you meant to shit on Skyward Sword.

As much as I love OoT and MM (my favorite Zelda) it's a good thing that Nintendo tries new things. Even though structurally MM is very similar to OoT they also managed to make it way different than any other Zelda.
And even those games have some openness to them like for example in OoT you can choose the order in which you tackle the Spirit and Shadow Temple.

Also, Link Between Worlds which you say is a masterpiece is definitely an open world game. You the player decide what dungeon to go to next not the story. It's not Grand Theft Auto (thank god) but it allows for tons of player choice as an open game does.

My point is linear games and open games can both be good and they are not mutually exclusive.
You should never condemn a whole genre. I'm not into most shooter games but there's a few I enjoy.

As for Skyward Sword, I enjoyed the sword and bow motion controls. The Last Boss of that game is super fun. I also enjoyed the Silent realm missions too.
But I will agree flying was a chore in that game and should not have been motion based. And there could have been more secretes.

EDIT: I do agree though that not everything needs to be an open world game. My favorite Final Fantasy is FF IV which is occasionally open but for the most part its a linear game.
author=LockeZ
It's impossible for an open world game to be good.

stop
I can understand the open-world dislike. It sometimes feel like taking a deficiency and relabeling it as a "feature".

"We don't know how to edit and cut and organize content, so let's just call it 'open world' and call it a day, aight?"
I think it's great, what I've seen of it so far. Granted, I haven't played it since no-one I know has a switch or the game, but hey, I've watched a few videos and it's giving that itchy palm feel of wanting to play.

Then again, I like open world games so nyeh.
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
from kentona
I can understand the open-world dislike. It sometimes feel like taking a deficiency and relabeling it as a "feature".

"We don't know how to edit and cut and organize content, so let's just call it 'open world' and call it a day, aight?"

For me, the overhwelming possibilities tend to crush my motivation.

Me: "What am I supposed to do?"
Game: "You can do LITERALLY ANYTHING!"
Me: "._."
author=halibabica
from kentona

For me, the overhwelming possibilities tend to crush my motivation.

Me: "._."

Add to that "Nothing you do really matters though!" "Oh, and it also is all the same stuff repeated over and over again"
The AAA industry did pick it up as a trend to boast with bigger and better sizes.

As others said though, there are ways to do it right and a more open exploration and pace can be a lovely thing to follow. It can also be just a relaxed time-sink.
I do think a certain limit (like a size that allows for unique areas and places of importance) really helps to make the upsides shine as much as they can.
(could gothic be seen as open world? prolly not .. but it sure allowed free exploration for training n stuff which was one of the things I really enjoyed about it - exploring and venturing into the wild and seeking out the opponents you could actually face at your level/state and avoiding the rest. just felt like a world. and not a copy paste one heh, my preferences showing!)
pianotm
I like the way Fallout does open world. Everything you do changes karma and reputation, which effects the endgame, who you side with, who your friends are, and everything. Admittedly, it's the only open world game that I've played that really makes good use of the open world. The Elder Scrolls games really fall into that mold of "do anything you want but none of really matters to the main quest", but it works for them because the main quest itself doesn't really matter and you can choose to lead a completely different life. Buy a house. Get a job. Join a guild. Skyrim, unfortunately, tried to be more linear.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
I'm glad we all agree that the weapon degradation is a load of bollocks, for a second i was afraid there would be someone willing to defend it.
pianotm
Oh, no. I despise weapon degradation with a passion. It's okay in games like Fallout and Baldur's Gate because it rarely becomes a serious issue, but if what I'm hearing described about this game is true, that's absolutely ridiculous.
author=pianotm
Oh, no. I despise weapon degradation with a passion. It's okay in games like Fallout and Baldur's Gate because it rarely becomes a serious issue, but if what I'm hearing described about this game is true, that's absolutely ridiculous.

I saw a gameplay clips.
Yes .. yes, ridiculous is the word.
author=halibabica

That's not a particularly bad thing for me. I don't like a game to hold my hand. I prefer it when games give me multiple options of how to experience the world, rather than forcing me down a strait narrow path. I don't need someone else to decide how to play, what to do, and where to go for me. Give me a detailed and well made world packed with things to do, and I can decide which of those things fancy my interest. I can actually explore the world. That's the appeal of open world games.

halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
And that's why they don't work for me personally. I get why others enjoy that sort of thing, but I just don't. When given too many options, I always feel unfocused or worried about what I may be overlooking. It's just not for me.
Having only played halfway through Breath of Wild, I cannot give the game
a perfect score.

Clear HD resolution.
Para-gliding effect feels great combined with the jump feature.
Immensity of open world exploration with many mountains and hills.
Characters are good.

All weapons including Bows, Bronze swords, Iron Blunt weapons tend to break easily.
No well defined paths between towns/villages.
A good game should have at least 3-9999 solid dungeons instead of many independent shrines.