[RM2K3] CHECKING SKILL USE BY CERTAIN CHARACTER

Pages: 1
Without any ado, here's the deal:

I want to make custom skills in RM2k3 that involve user's self-damage, and others that heal the team at user's cost and vice versa. One solution I'm aware of is to assign these skills permanently to characters, but I'd like them to be acquired by all of the characters under certain conditions. So I need some way to check if certain character has used given skill and execute it when conditions are met.

For example: Character A uses a skill that takes half of his own HP to deal critical damage to single target. Or Character B uses a skill that drains party members' HP to restore his own.

Is that even possible in 2k3?
There is no great solution, but there are a couple of work-arounds.

Switch Skills:
If you don't need targeting, the easiest method is switch skills. These are going to be the easiest for you to use. Set a skill type to "switch." Then add a Battle Event that checks for the switch being set and perform whatever actions you need there. If you're going to do this a lot, you may want to use some switch that's always on for your switch event and then check individual switches with conditional branches. Anyone with this switch skill will be able to then cast this ability.

Check MP:
Add a Battle Event checking if a character has used the skill-set command under which your skill resides. Use this Battle Event to check how much MP was used by the character. If it was the exact amount of the skill, then execute the custom script. Because this was done as an actual skill, you can still use targeting by using conditional branches checking which monster was targeted. Hopefully that made some sense. The downside for this is that you'll need additional scripting for each character that can use the ability.
Sounds interesting. How should I do MP check? I don't see any command for checking MP used by a skill though. And honestly I don't care about the downside, after all, you gotta do some work if you want your game to be unique.
Trihan
"It's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."
What you would need is a battle event that runs every turn that sets a variable to the amount of MP the party member has. Then in your battle event that checks whether they used the skill set command, check whether the variable's value is equal to its value minus the cost of the skill.
Pages: 1