SO APPARENTLY A 3DS RPGMAKER IS COMING.

Pages: first 12 next last
This video just popped up on my facebook feed today and...huh.

I am not sure how to feel about this.

I mean, on one hand, being able to make RPGs on the long daily commute I have would be neat, as well as playing portable RPGmaker games...

But I really really worry about how much power we'll have over them. We're certainly not going to be able to get scripts or plugins or import our own graphics, and I wonder just how many maps we can hold, how much we can influence the damage formulas, and how powerful the eventing system and battle encounters can be.

Thoughts?
unity
You're magical to me.
Related.

The more I think about it, the less excited I am about trying to seriously develop an RPG for this, even though it might be fun. The battle system looks slightly cool, but the lack of custom resources is a big drawback. Also, the other limitations, like you mentioned, may be too much.

I am curious to see what this program can do but I'll probably pass on it unless something changes or really catches my eye.
It looks fun to just mess around in, and might be a lot of fun for people who have never used RPG Maker before. Obviously, this has nowhere near the power of the PC-based engines so I don't think I would make anything large-scale with it.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
Really, couldn't make another set of RTP for a new console release? These guys are fucking lazy with their graphics.
I'm getting it for my kids.
unity
You're magical to me.
I think that's an excellent idea! I can see it totally being an awesome introduction to RPG Making! :DDDDDDD
Please be sure to submit their masterpieces to RMN so we can see the evolution of babby's rm skills from Village Brave
An event for it would be fun. Of course, you'd have to get the maker in the first case and that would be bothersome for most especially if they'd have to spend big on an inferior engine when they already have the PC versions.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Making a game on this doesn't let you really share it with others.

Is this being made by Enterbrain? If so, they will just do a resource pack for PC users which includes the BGM / tiles / anything else not 3dish.
Kloe
I lost my arms in a tragic chibi accident
Actually you can share it with others apparently, there's like a free thing on the Eshop which is like a player for RPGFES games and let's you download and play em.
We totes need a re-release of the ps1 rpg maker game. (with or without the extreme size limitations. On one hand would be interesting to see what could be done with like...16k? of data. On the other hand it'd make creators cry when they are a few bytes over the limit because of that one extra event.)

A 3ds RM would be interesting, but I think they should also have it available on the PC. Its simply a lot easier to do on pc, typing etc. Also not sure how many people would spend 8+ hours coding on a handheld hehe.
If anyone plans to play RPG Maker Fes, it would be beneficial to have this series of videos translated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BIEQ2CfzO0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uX-M_02JEFs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqobrqLeS_k

This is a list of bugs in the engine as they were released in the Japanese version. I don't know if they were fixed for the English translation.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I'm probably not going to buy the latest RPG Maker Chipotle that's exclusively for the Sega Game Gear or whatever. I don't understand why they'd release this for a system that's already obsolete, instead of for the Switch.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
There was rpg maker on PlayStation. I really wish that made it's way to the pc. It was nice looking. And it's fun regardless of rtp and such. Even if you can't upload or share your 3DS RM game, you can get some personal enjoyment out of it.
edit:
Maybe even just figure out some level designs or puzzles on the go, then rebuild it in your pc game.
author=LockeZ
I'm probably not going to buy the latest RPG Maker Chipotle that's exclusively for the Sega Game Gear or whatever. I don't understand why they'd release this for a system that's already obsolete, instead of for the Switch.

Well, it's an end-of-life 3DS game that will most assuredly get a limited print. Maybe it will end up being a collectable, if that's your sort of thing.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
chipotle is tasty though :(
Seems like prospective developers who choose to buy this iteration of RPG Maker will be facing some interesting challenges:

There'll be no sprite drawing. Only default assets and add-on purchases can be used.
There's no parallel processes, only triggered events, touch events, item-activated events, and auto-run events.
There's no general-use Conditional Branch event command; conditions are commuted through event pages. There are a maximum of 10 event pages per event.
Variables can only be set, and added to or subtracted from. Variables cannot reference each other in any way. There are 500 switches and 500 variables available. This is at least an improvement over RPG Maker DS, which had NO variables at all...
The only random number generator available to developers is a probability branch tool.

I suppose this is pretty good for a portable RPG Maker that is also designed to have its games shared over a server network, but it is a huge limitation on the freedom of the PC-oriented RPG Makers.

It really is like a game development game, where there are hard limits which players must circumvent as deftly as possible.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
My god it's like they ported RPG Maker 95
Ebeth
always up for cute art and spicy gay romance
I've seen people say they might pick this up for prototyping when away from a computer, but for that price and the inherent limits of it being on the DS I just can't see it being that useful.

Hopefully people who get it have fun with it and some neat games will come out of the whole thing but who knows. At the very least it might introduce more people to Rpgmaker and build the community more.
author=Zachary_Braun
There's no parallel processes, only triggered events, touch events, item-activated events, and auto-run events.
There's no general-use Conditional Branch event command; conditions are commuted through event pages. There are a maximum of 10 event pages per event.
Variables can only be set, and added to or subtracted from. Variables cannot reference each other in any way.

Ouch and ouch and ouch. I'm assuming no common events that can be called in battle either, huh?

Between that and TP apparently not being in the game, this makes creating a neat and complex combat system really really obscenely difficult. My interest just waned a hell of a lot... :s

I guess it'll all come down to how long my daily commute is going to be. If I still have to spend an hour a day on public transit, I might still pick this up just so I can satisfy my urge to create stuff in what is otherwise "dead time".
Pages: first 12 next last