DUMBING DOWN UNIVERSITY

Pages: first 12 next last
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
Figured I'd just share this and move on.

Yeah, the 21st century will belong to China. Nothing new here.
ESBY
extreme disappointment
right wing thatcherist hates young people
news at eleven
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
curse dem younglings

edIt: the video, despite its brashness and questionable political leanings as you said, kind of speaks to me as a business major who is thinking about returning to school.
The guy sounds like he was incredibly triggered.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
well said, natook. it is pretty much the message I was hoping people would get
Even back in school it seemed to me like universities weren't really for people getting jobs. That's what... trade schools were for.
author=Deckiller
well said, natook. it is pretty much the message I was hoping people would get

thanks man, college is definitely a tricky thing to figure out and there are significant flaws in its current form that the video pointed out

author=Shinan
Even back in school it seemed to me like universities weren't really for people getting jobs. That's what... trade schools were for.

in the u.s. it is very much presented as the easiest route to getting a great job and its increasingly more common to see job ads that won't even accept applicants that don't even have an associate's degree. people quickly throw themselves into mountains of debt for a career path they won't even keep. the purpose of being higher educated feels completely secondary to the goal of getting a better job when it comes to college here. trade schools are an excellent route here too, and many jobs involved with a trade still pay very well and there are always a lot of openings. more people need to dismiss the idea of college in lieu of going to a trade school.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
don't trigger me my safe space is across the city
I wonder what baby boomers' feelings toward safe spaces will be in ten/fifteen years when they feel Death's boney finger ratcheting up the notches of their spines?

P.S. College is a great place to figure out what you want to do; just go in undeclared and take a variety of classes in subjects you're potentially interested in while knocking out basics.

P.P.S. That guy's concept of college exists only in his decaying brain.
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=Housekeeping
baby boomers

This might be the most hated group of people in the history of the world
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Damn you kids have some sass. You're gonna be a handful when you hit puberty.
Are there even jobs for highly educated university guys which are no desk-jobs?
author=Shinan

"Why can't I find a job?" I asked myself with my liberal arts degree before going to graduate school to learn a profession.
author=SgtMettool
author=Shinan
"Why can't I find a job?" I asked myself with my liberal arts degree before going to graduate school to learn a profession.

seriously though, if you want someone to manage business, get someone with a liberal arts or humanities or history degree before ever looking at someone with an MBA. at least then you'd have someone who has an inkling on how people work, which is 9/10th what managing is about. (serious!)

author=harmonic
author=Housekeeping
baby boomers
This might be the most hated group of people in the history of the world

except for maybe "millenials"*

*only 90s kids will get this
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
author=kentona
how people work, which is 9/10th what managing is about. (serious!)

Yes, but I don't think a liberal arts degree will teach that versus life experience, specifically experience in the field which you're trying to manage
Well an MBA doesn't teach life experience either. Everyone has to start somewhere. (Even though I do find it funny how sometimes it seems that newly graduated people also are somehow expected to have ten years of experience in the field :)
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
In my experience the actual degree you have doesn't matter in a lot of fields. Unless you're trying to be a doctor or a lawyer a lot of degrees are relevant to a lot of jobs. Having actual job experience is always more important than whatever your diploma says.

Best advice: Get an internship. Saying 'I have a degree in x from y University' won't get you a job. Saying 'I had an internship at x company where I did y and z' will.
Pages: first 12 next last