[POLL] DO YOU PREFER IRC, SLACK OR DISCORD?

Poll

Do you prefer IRC, Slack or Discord? - Results

IRC
16%
Slack
26%
Discord
57%

Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Let the ultimate battle commence!!!

It'd help if you included reasons as to why you prefer your choice over the others.
Between the three discord, as it feels more smoothly and easiest to use, while still being as versatile. (I feel slack is a lil more choppy n stuff and was when busy hard on my eyes too)
On the downside, having all groups open/active all at once just makes it feel less comfortable n private so .. meh.

IRC second as it is straightforward n fun. I feel the nature breeds that feeling of regulars n familiar faces catching each other haha. As well as being more welcoming to new faces.
It's been a while I used them though, and I feel I enjoy other more personal methods more now.

All have their ups and downs *chuckle* see no reason to battle.
I think for small projects n groups Slack does really well. Or did at least hehe
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Discord only works right when it feels like it. Slack doesn't keep an archive, and IRC I have no clue about, but if I'm FORCED to choose one, it may as well be Slack.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Where's the "none" option?!
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
I have difficulty picking one. I've never used Discord before.

Mostly, I just want to go to the one with the most people. I like IRC because it it was simple, you didn't have any signon stuff. That's where everyone was. It was all in one big-ass room, so it was usually pretty jumpin, but not so great for specific topic maintenance, but you could just make a new room.

Then we had slack, and everyone moved there. So, grudgingly, I went there too. You can even connect to it via IRC protocols if you want. It added new rooms too, and you can see when each updates, which is nice.

And now it seems like everyone went to Discord.

Are we just going to keep playing chat client hopscotch here? Are we just going to keep finding new communication methods and losing a few people along the way? I mean, criminy, we don't even MENTION Discord in the Communications tab.

So, for me - I liked IRC for it's simplicity. But I'll take slack if you guys all want fancy emoji's and stuff.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
While thinking about it - I came to the conclusion about why I am annoyed with things as they are. I just want there to be a decision made. If most people want discord - that's fine. But whatever the case, we should close down the alternate options so there's no splitting.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
I have used IRC and Slack and I just like Slack a lot better. The Slack app is awesome, sharing of files and creating new chats is easier, it has nice notification systems, and you can see when people are typing. These things seem like small things, but they make it a lot more attractive to use slack than irc.

Also Slack has a nicer web interface. I used to use mibbit for IRC but the slack interface is way nicer.

I dunno about Discord, though.
InfectionFiles
I agree with you Hexatona, if anything there should only be one. But I'd like to advocate keeping that chatting within RMN itself. Which is why a built in chat would be awesome for everyone. Keep it here, y'know?
I think the network problem is mostly because of response from administration when someone decides to make a new group somewhere. When some random posts the "Hey guys I just made us a mumble server!!" the response shouldn't be "cool let's link it," it should be "locking this topic, we already have xxx, if we decide as a community this is something we need, an admin will make it later." There is no need to split people between three chat platforms. As was mentioned in slack recently, it's like having a rpgmaker.net subreddit in addition to the forums.

Moving forward, I'd say stop linking IRC for sure, then pick one of slack or discord and close the other. It seems like there's more activity on discord lately and slack is intentionally designed for closed teams and not public groups. We're at our message limit, storage limit, etc, and have to have a janky app to sign up via email.

Oh, and the last thing we need is yet another chat platform, by the way, RMN-custom-built or not.
Discord.

98% because it's my main client and I literally only use Slack for RMN.
2% because Slack is honestly kind of bulky compared to Discord. idk why
InfectionFiles
@psy- But if we had our own, we wouldn't need the others right? Unless it's more about cliques and less rules/regulation than actually keeping to being loyal and giving RMN the traffic it needs.
I don't know who you think is going to volunteer to develop and maintain this custom solution, but it's not a simple piece of software. Like, on par with the forums, which have been in development in one form or another for years. I'd be amazed if it was ever up to feature parity with IRC, let alone polished commercial products like discord or slack. It's about not reinventing the wheel when, as this topic demonstrates, there are plenty of better-implemented solutions waiting and ready to go.

It's 100% possible to embed irc, slack, or discord on a site. Any of the three potentially get you a convenience effect (I already have Pidgin for IRC/slack/whatever, already have discord up and ready to go, etc) whereas rmnchat is from scratch. (I'm not keeping a tab open on my browser at all times for it, that is mibbit-tier obnoxious). Like the only advantage would be integrated login/signup... which is a 1-time <5 minute process on any of the above, even with slack's janky app.

Also: "bringing RMN the traffic" is a disadvantage. Bandwidth costs money. I also don't think it's "disloyalty" to prefer third party apps to theoretical custom solutions. You should hop on slack/discord sometime -- no one's plotting a coup haha.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
Ugh, I wish I could undo my vote until after I've had a chance to look at Discord and see what it's like.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
author=psy_wombats
When some random posts the "Hey guys I just made us a mumble server!!" the response shouldn't be "cool let's link it," it should be "locking this topic, we already have xxx, if we decide as a community this is something we need, an admin will make it later." There is no need to split people between three chat platforms. As was mentioned in slack recently, it's like having a rpgmaker.net subreddit in addition to the forums.

Moving forward, I'd say stop linking IRC for sure, then pick one of slack or discord and close the other.
Yes, this. This is good.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
Yeah actually I voted for Slack but I have little qualm with Discord. I just have major qualm with IRC, is all.
I was all in on slack eventually. I mean I loved my irc but if slack was where it was at then slack was where it was at. Until earlier this week when they suddenly decided to drop support for my (and all others except for a very select group) browser. Fuck that shit. I still have the slack mobile app so I can check up if there's anything important in the staff channel but slack is essentially dead to me even if that is where we eventually end up.

On discord I've recently become a member of a couple of other discord groups and the easy switching between them has meant I have Discord open a lot more than before. Functionally discord and slack seem to be pretty identical with discord having some additional features. (And sometimes additional features is a negative thing with a bunch of clutter)
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
IRC. Simple and effective. Clients are not forced to look like aliens under a Windows Explorer GUI, as is the case with Slack/Discord. Discord also refuses Windows XP support, screw that noise.

If people want to shut down IRC, I'll just keep on managing it myself on the side. It's low maintenance and there are still people that use it.
^
Signs that you're old and curmudgeony.

I'd pick forums too, but if it has to be from the three listed, Discord has a dark skin mode, allows for voice chat as well as text, does the same thing as Slack and has some admin features that make it not-a-hassle to ban or kick people. Also, it's easy to use.
Zeigfried_McBacon
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
I'm the guy in charge of all three and discord is my pick.