[POLL] DO YOU PREFER IRC, SLACK OR DISCORD?

Poll

Do you prefer IRC, Slack or Discord? - Results

IRC
16%
Slack
26%
Discord
57%

Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
Assertiveness is dead
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
YM, change my IRC vote to Discord.
author=ESBY
why is post archiving considered a good thing?
it's probably for the best that everything gets nuked after a while

Slack's global message limit counts against PMs too, so it's impossible to view the messages I sent people last week, for instance.

Also my irc logs from like 2009 busted LockeZ in a game of mafia once, that was fun.

author=kentona
I miss the 'hi' chains of IRC

hi kentona
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=Marrend
Maybe it's just me, but I never feel comfortable saying anything when a conversation is already taking place. And if the channel is dead, there doesn't seem to be any point in staying.

That's silly. You're silly.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I have never used any of these programs.
These are chat programs, right?
I think they are sort of irrelevant in the face of growing social media options.
I mean I have Steam, so if someone really wants to chat with me I just tell them my user name and tell them to send me a friend request. It's not even a chat program, but it can function as one.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
author=kory_toombs
I have never used any of these programs.
These are chat programs, right?
I think they are sort of irrelevant in the face of growing social media options.
I mean I have Steam, so if someone really wants to chat with me I just tell them my user name and tell them to send me a friend request. It's not even a chat program, but it can function as one.

This is a chat client for open entry/exit so you can talk to anyone in group chats, organized by topic. You can use it anywhere you go, so it isn't restricted to requiring an install. It's a place to talk about various things, it keeps chat logs, it's permanent, and it's open (with Slack, you need an invitation, but once you have one, you have one for good). You may not find a use for it, but for many, it's a place that you can chat and meet new people and discuss interesting topics. Much like a forum, except encouraged to be more instant and fluid in nature.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I hate Discord. It only works right when it feels like it. I mean, if it's going to bug the fuck out of you with notifications, the least it can do is take you to the conversation when you click on that notification every single time, instead of only at certain times of the day. It lets you drag and drop only when it feels like, and if you try to share a program, it accuses you of trying to infect your friends with a virus and then deletes the file!
See, this is why there are three chat programs - some don't work with others. We used to have a Skype too, but guess what? It didn't work for some people, so we decided to look into an alternative. That's where Slack came in, but guess what? It also didn't work for some people, which is why Discord came in (it also has voice chat for when you want to do livestreams or just shoot the shit with fellow devs). And the reason Skype was looked at in the first place? Because IRC didn't work for some people!
Who doesnt Slack work for? The thing is universal, and the only one that is suitable for large teans on multiple devices
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Slack doesn't work for me, not in the technical sense, but in the sense that I just don't like it.
ESBY
extreme disappointment
we don't like you either
author=kentona
Who doesnt Slack work for? The thing is universal, and the only one that is suitable for large teans on multiple devices

Well it no longer works for me.
Slack doesn't work for me in a sense that I don't want to have two different chat clients installed in my computer when I already use one of them (Discord) 90% of the time (includingly its my go-to chat client to talk to all my clients), especially since Discord's design and functionality are far easier for me than Slack.

I'm not gonna have both installed and if I'm gonna be forced to choose one over the other, Discord it is.

But then again what's the problem of some people chilling on irc, some on discord, some on skype...? I mean, it's not much different than different rooms, at this point.
Sooz
I keep forgetting you can install things on your compy. I always just use the browser-based option.
author=Sooz
I keep forgetting you can install things on your compy. I always just use the browser-based option.

^
The slack program didn't allow me to pick an install location though. So that's also quite terrible.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
author=Liberty
See, this is why there are three chat programs - some don't work with others. We used to have a Skype too, but guess what? It didn't work for some people, so we decided to look into an alternative. That's where Slack came in, but guess what? It also didn't work for some people, which is why Discord came in (it also has voice chat for when you want to do livestreams or just shoot the shit with fellow devs). And the reason Skype was looked at in the first place? Because IRC didn't work for some people!

Well, look at how that turned out!

(Who doesn't irc work for? I mean, like, legit who couldn't get IRC working.)
IRC is blocked at work for me. But Slack isn't.

I've never checked out or installed or investigated Discord. I hate voice chat, so I've avoided it.
author=kentona
IRC is blocked at work for me. But Slack isn't.

I've never checked out or installed or investigated Discord. I hate voice chat, so I've avoided it.

Discord isn't just voice chat, you know? (It's pretty much similar to Slack, but has a neater interface). But then again, hardly anyone uses voice chat in Discord.