TRANSFERRING HERO BACK TO WHERE THEY WERE AFTER A CUT SCENE. RMVX ACE

Pages: 1
I've asked for help about this before but things have changed.

I originally was told how to use the "transfer player" using a variable to get the x/y positions on a map. However, now there are lots of npcs in the game who move randomly so there's a chance that the player could be warped back and be unable to move due to being on the starting position of an npc.

I'm now thinking of changing this with a variable for a different number for each map in the game, and the player being transferred to a location on that map. It isn't perfect but at least they'll be close enough to where they were without screwing anything up, movement wise, with other npcs.

I just thought I'd ask for some opinions on this before I go ahead with this idea.

Cheers
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Why would a cut scene that cuts away to another scene ever be triggered while the player is on the starting location of a random moving NPC? That's the sort of thing you do at specific places with proper dramatic timing, not randomly while walking around a town.

My opinion is that if you're encountering this issue in the first place, you're probably handling your cut scenes poorly.
I'm curious as to how your cutscenes are set up. What in your game is whisking players away to a cutscene as they're moving around? Are they timed?

Either way, I'd just bite the bullet and have them return to a pre-set location.
It's a game being set in Judaea at the time of the crucifixion. After the events of the crucifixion, half an hour passes (where you're free to do as you want), then it jumps to the scene outside of the tomb. After that has finished, then it goes back to where your character is.

Anyway, I think it might be safer to go with your idea of a pre-set location, and have a pre-set location in each city/town in the game. I was seeing a few situations in my mind on either being stuck on top of a character or being trapped in a wall.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
If you insist on doing that, the most logical place to return the player to would be the place where they entered the current map.

However, a better suggestion is to give the player a specific goal of something to do after the crucifixion, and have the cut scene when they finish. Because I'm a terrible person, I'm imagining an MMORPG objective tracker that says (0/3 Denials of Christ completed) on the right side of the screen.

Making something like this be based on time is pretty bad because the player doesn't know what to do, and it sounds like it doesn't really matter what they do. Their best option is actually to put the game down and watch an episode of Dragon Ball Z while it's still running, and then come back afterwards. Though they probably don't know that, and will spend the entire half hour frustratedly trying to figure out in vain how to advance the plot to the next scene. There's a reason I can't name a single game that handles a cut scene this way.
Yeah, like LockeZ said, having a goal of some kind for the player to complete (and mess around instead of doing if they want) would be a better way of doing this than timing. Unless all of your game is ran on a time schedule, I guess, but even dating games that run on 'time schedules' have time as a fluid construct that is set in blocks where doing x will move time forward, or using up x energy will move the time ahead.

You could even have something like a bunch of different tasks to do that take up x amount of time (so talking to Mary = 5 minutes, helping John pull in nets = 20 minutes) and once 30 minutes is up the cutscene is shown.

Honestly, though? Just go with the 'do this and then cutscene' route. It's simpler and if you want to allow for exploration/interaction you can easily just have it set to 'talk to Mary twice' with a choice to start the cutscene.
I guess I could put someone in who asks you to do something, which just said in dialogue , will take a few days, so if the player is impatient, or doesn't know what else to do, they can hurry it up by doing that.

I've started putting in the variables but this is turning in to a very messy procedure. Is there a way to extend the event screen, due to it being indented every time I have to put in an "else" case when it comes to conditions

I have a fair few maps, around 284, and about 90% of them are going to be connected to this.

Just as an after thought, how willing would people be just to be set outside the town after the cut scene had finished?
LockeZ
Cutting away to a scene where the heroes aren't present and then cutting back to them is actually a really useful way to teleport the player to where they're supposed to be, so they don't have to walk there. For example, many games use this trick to remove the player from a dungeon after they beat the boss at the end, without making them walk back out. Beat the boss, cut away to a scene of the villain doing something sinister, cut back to the party and they're already back in town conversing at the inn. You can use a similar trick here to teleport the player to wherever they're supposed to go next.

My suggestion wasn't to add an optional way to fast-forward the timer. It was to completely remove the timer, and replace it with something that actually resembles a video game.
I'm over half way through the settlements, setting a number in the variable for each one. Like I said earlier, I'm beginning to run out of space. Is there a way to expnad the window or something, as there are about ten more numbers to put in, I'm currently at twenty.

I'm not planning on warping the player to the next town after the cut scene but I'll make it clear where to head next, as the text will be a different colour when it says "tell them that they'll meet me at Gadara". Hopefully this will be enough of a clue to go to Gadara.
LockeZ
I don't even know what you mean. What window? What numbers?
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
The debug window that pops up when you press F9 during a test-play displays up to ten variables/switches at a time. Might be a reference to that, if there's a variable for each settlement?

If such is the case, I don't think it's possible to resize that particular window.
I meant the event window. Here's an image of what I'm currently doing. It's indented too far to the right.

Is there a way that I can expand the window, or move it, so I can see what I'm doing? Sorry for the confusing way I might've been trying to to explain it.

This strikes me as a moment where a plugin would make more sense. I could try making one for you.

Can you show me part of that list of commands where it's more clear what you're trying to do?

EDIT in fact looking closer, it might not even need a plugin, but can you show something clearer anyway?

EDIT of EDIT: oh wait ACE. I have it, but rusty with ruby.

FURTHER EDIT: OK if I am understanding this right, no scripts required, but first I need to know if you're using a common event to send the player to the cutscene.
It isn't a common event. It's an event in most maps in the game which runs by parallel process.
I think I've got it sorted now.

Thanks for your help.
LockeZ
Lol, the player's location can only be one place at a time, so the simple solution is to just put the conditions one after another instead of nesting them in else cases.
Pages: 1