[RMMV] WHAT IS THE IDEAL SCREEN RESOLUTION TO USE?

Pages: 1
The concern here is if a dev changed the screen resolution of their project in a late stage, all of the events that deal with x,y cords would have to be redone.
So I'm going to consign to a final resolution before going any further, but what?

Tried 1632 x 816. Pros: it loops the default parallaxes perfectly and gives you a lot of room for detailed huds and other UI elements.
Has anyone ever had success with resolution this big?
Cons: The character sprite lags upon user movement, but not event movement as much. The usual lag from pathing audio seems more pronounced than the default 816 x 408, or maybe it just looks that way because it is larger?

Tried default 816 x 408 (Ed: height is 624. Got 408 from the overall shape of what I'm working on oops). Pros: User input is much more fluid for the character sprite.
Cons: Full screen mode gives you this gray letterbox on the left and right sides. How do you get rid of that?

I don't know what is more taxing for the user's machine (in terms of performance). A large square shaped screen size? 816 x 816
Or a wide, narrow rectangle screen size? 1632 x 408

Also, porting to phones. Size is important for on screen buttons expecting user touch. What is a good screen size to use if you want to play the game on phones? I would guess that 1632 x 816 is way too big. Thanks for any input!
Kloe
I lost my arms in a tragic chibi accident
I like the default 816x408 for many reasons:
  • It fits on my screen and most screens (my laptop's like, 1376 wide sooo yeah)
  • It's responsive, as you said
  • You don't need any bigger. For example, indoor maps usually are really small, sometimes even 4x3, and so you'd have a huge black space around it.
  • It's better for streaming, (just ask Libs about that one)
  • The textbox seems less empty, as it's smaller. (On the big resoultions unless you write a lot you only ever use the first line, maybe second.)

Thanks to Kloe for pointing out the fact that newer machines have smaller screens, and the indoor map thing. Hadn't thought of that.
*sigh* guess it's time to shrink everything to half size. I hope it won't look too crappy. Who is Libs? Liberty?
I was THIS close to ditching the player character sprite completely and going with a Strategy RPG style setup (Vandal Hearts, FFT, Ogre Battle etc.) just to retain the large 1632 x 816 resolution!!

Making the font size larger remedies your last point btw.
Vandriette
"The purpose of life is to end." -Agent Smith
In VX Ace, you can modify the resolution to whichever value you like, and it'd still fit on any machine's screen, and there's a *paid* script which removes any lag, up to resolutions even higher than 2k. Though, Kloe's second point is very true @_@
Pages: 1