WE'RE COMING TO TAKE YOUR HEART ~ PERSONA 5 DISCUSSION

Pages: first 12 next last
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar

Talking about Persona 5!??! It's a pretty good game, I guess.

Let's do our best to hide spoilers and tag them with either the day or some other major identification. I'll start!

First dungeon spoilers, question about a romance:
I'm actually almost done with the third dungeon, but still: does anybody know if there is a negative consequence with Morgana for dating Ann? I'll just romance the second female party member or Takemi (if she's romance-able) if so... I like Morgana too much to break his heart :<
Kloe
I lost my arms in a tragic chibi accident
I really like what I've seen so far (up to about 4/20) though it is a bit dark and disturbing, I feel really attached to the characters and thr mechanics are super cool!
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Morgana is a shit
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
It's alright, I guess. I've seen worse games out there. *hides Morgana plush under desk*

*ahem*

Anyway, regarding your question:

I don't know. Not-Rise was alright, but I didn't really want to date her, so I stuck with staying as friends.

One thing that annoys me, and I touched on this in he other thread, is the MC death = game over thing. I really don't understand why this is a thing, especially when Hama and Mudo are still being used. Really, Apocalypse handled it best: Hama and Mudo were normal damage skills, but gained insta-kill effects after hitting someone with a weakness already. I think it could have worked in P5 where Hama and Mudo gain insta-kill effects after a 1 More action.

One thing I found hilarious about the Temperance Confident link:

Eventually, you can ask her to craft infiltration tools for you. I really, REALLY want to know the off-camera conversation that convinces a teacher to make lockpicks for her student, especially since she doesn't know you're a phantom thief.
Craze
Kloe
I really like what I've seen so far (up to about 4/20) though it is a bit dark and disturbing, I feel really attached to the characters and thr mechanics are super cool!

Yeah, the characters are excellent. The core group of P4 was likeable (until Naoto), but they weren't terribly... interesting. Yosuke was probably the most interesting, which is pathetic (like Yosuke).

P5 does a much, much better job of connecting mechanics to the narrative AND story. Confidants and the cut-aways with Sae really help build up the Phantom Thieves as a cool organization instead of just, uh... some kids who jump into a tv or a grey tower. (Gaining persona power(tm) through social links always made narrative sense, but didn't really work with the story.)

Red_Nova
One thing that annoys me, and I touched on this in he other thread, is the MC death = game over thing. I really don't understand why this is a thing, especially when Hama and Mudo are still being used.

Yeah. I do Hard in Mementos, but fuck it for Palace dungeons (unless they get as easy as Heaven in P4). Losing progress as the dungeons get harder as environments (i've finished the third one now) is harsh... I died like four times trying to

(third dungeon spoiler)
reach Kaneshiro in front of his big vault elevator. i didn't have any fire personas and kept forgetting to swap Ann in, so the Leanan Shih x Yaksini fights were bulllshiiiitttttttttt. imagine my surprise when i found the safe room...r ight there... right there........

edit: oh and i didn't read the spoiler yet since i'm only rank 2 but yeah Temperance turned a "ugh this story moment is annoying" bit into just.... yeah Temperance is pretty hilarious and bizarre. The Confidants and unlocking them are so much more interesting than P4.

edit2: second female party member is Fuckin Fantastic;

voice actor/vague arcana spoilers; didn't use party member's name
Cherami Leigh is a star in an already super strong voice cast. i might romance her just because i like her voice (and her confidant thread seems amusing, but i only just unlocked it to make a stronger Isis)
unity
You're magical to me.
I'm just getting into the third palace now, and absolutely loving the game. :DDDDDD And I just got the second female party member but I'm already in love with her!

No offense to anyone who likes her, but I'm honestly finding Ann a little on the bland side. She seemed really interesting at first, but seemed to become less interesting once she joined the team.

Also Yusuke is really entertaining XDXD
Soon. I shall have it sooooooooon.

I'm getting the PS3 version just so I can emulate it on my computer (because it actually works with one of the PS3 emulators! With frame rate drops, but eh, can't win them all.)

(I don't have the cash for a PS3/4 so resorting to emulator instead. Thankfully I got the PS3 version cheap second-hand from a friend who has already finished it and didn't like it that much (They're CRAZY) so yay!)

Also, I'm gonna go for the heartbreak guys. Hold me, I'm dating them all. BRING ON THE BROKEN HEARTS!

(I assume there's heartbreak. P4 did the heartbreak well. I hope P5 destroys me)
Craze
unity
No offense to anyone who likes her, but I'm honestly finding Ann a little on the bland side. She seemed really interesting at first, but seemed to become less interesting once she joined the team.

I kinda felt this at times, but I got over it quickly enough.

Early third dungeon spoilers (up through getting the fifth party member):
If Makoto's the analyst, Yusuke's the artist, Ryuji's the beef/threatener,
Morgana's the infiltrator -- Ann's the passionate heart. She calms Morgana and Ryuji, snaps Yusuke back into reality, and soothes Makoto's anxiety. Ann's the most likely to get hot-headed but also the fastest to apologize and fix up issues the party has (see: Ann and Makoto's relationship).

Because she has less of an active phantom thief role than the others, I think it gets easy to push her aside kinda, but I don't think the dynamic would work without her. She's the one who directs hangouts and sets up celebrations and whatnot! As such, she's an essential member of the team and I find her interesting because of it -- almost because she's not as thiefy and ridiculous as the rest.

</ann fanclub>
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Craze
unity
I kinda felt this at times, but I got over it quickly enough.

Early third dungeon spoilers (up through getting the fifth party member):
If Makoto's the analyst, Yusuke's the artist, Ryuji's the beef/threatener,
Morgana's the infiltrator -- Ann's the passionate heart. She calms Morgana and Ryuji, snaps Yusuke back into reality, and soothes Makoto's anxiety. Ann's the most likely to get hot-headed but also the fastest to apologize and fix up issues the party has (see: Ann and Makoto's relationship).

Because she has less of an active phantom thief role than the others, I think it gets easy to push her aside kinda, but I don't think the dynamic would work without her. She's the one who directs hangouts and sets up celebrations and whatnot! As such, she's an essential member of the team and I find her interesting because of it -- almost because she's not as thiefy and ridiculous as the rest.

</ann fanclub>

Good point. I really did like scenes between her and the second female party member. ^_^

author=Craze
Yeah, the characters are excellent. The core group of P4 was likeable (until Naoto), but they weren't terribly... interesting. Yosuke was probably the most interesting, which is pathetic (like Yosuke).

I actually really like Naoto's character concept. The problem being that the execution was TERRIBLE and she was just kinda a crap character. I felt like she had so much potential to be interesting and they just kinda flushed it down the drain.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
author=unity
I'm just getting into the third palace now, and absolutely loving the game. :DDDDDD And I just got the second female party member but I'm already in love with her!

Also Yusuke is really entertaining XDXD

I 100% agree with everything written here.

Also, Liberty is an evil person and I can't wait to see how the heartbreak route plays out.
all I know are the memes

Sailerius
did someone say angels
I'm close to endgame now and I'll probably wait to share my detailed thoughts until after I've completed the game. One of my biggest complaints so far has been with the basic setup of the story.

(1st, maybe 2nd dungeon spoilers)

The concept of 'stealing someone's heart' and that magically making them not evil anymore is just incredibly dumb. When that plot point was introduced, I became a lot less excited for the story because I could already tell it was probably going to be used as a copout to deus ex machina away any problems that ever show up. Not only does it cheapen the story by magicking away complex problems, but it doesn't even fit the whole thief thing at all.

You're not actually stealing anything. There's just this vague notion that you're 'stealing' the evil from people, but it feels like they just came up with that explanation to figure out how to tie the thiefing aesthetic into the story. I was expecting it would be something like, you need to steal damning evidence that would convict people who were otherwise above suspicion. The whole resolution of the Kamoshida arc in particular was really disappointing and it undermined all of the drama and character conflicts leading into it.

One of my favorite additions to the game, though, is the new Confidant abilities aspect. It provides an extrinsic incentive to invest in Confidants that you otherwise wouldn't be interested in, and there were a few that I ended up liking more than I expected to, and I probably would have dropped them had it not been for the promise of abilities.
Craze
Sail, all I'm gonna say (and know that I'm just now starting the fourth arc, I'm on 7/19) is that I'm like 99% sure your complains are exactly why the TV station sub-story exists. I don't entirely disagree with you, but I also don't entirely disagree with Akechi either.

edit: GRINDING CONFIDANT POINTS FOR SOJIRO IS THE WORST, is there some trick? he already stopped sipping my coffee. i've been keeping a demon of his arcana around. Almost in July and he's still rank 2.
Red_Nova
author=Craze
edit: GRINDING CONFIDANT POINTS FOR SOJIRO IS THE WORST, is there some trick? he already stopped sipping my coffee. i've been keeping a demon of his arcana around. Almost in July and he's still rank 2.

Unfortunately, no. I know the part you're talking about, and it just takes some raw effort to rank him up past a certain point. But, uh, you may want to take your time with him. It's going to be a while before you can regularly rank him up. For reference, I'm in the middle of October and still can't get him beyond rank 5.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
Sojiro requires an insane amount of EXP to level up compared to everyone else. It's not just you. I only got him to rank 5ish by the end of the game, because at a certain point I just gave up instead of passing up every other evening SLink to grind for him.
I actually really liked Naoto. Didn't think her execution was terrible either (maybe not... the BEST it could have been but not terrible)

I like how Morgana interacts with everyone :P I have to get farther before I can say too much though. ^.^ Looking forward to the 2nd female party member since everyone here seems to like her. <3
Craze
According to some other folks, yeah, the Sojiro shit is meant to be a timed story lock but poorly implemented. Odd. It honestly felt like a bug =/

Legion being renamed to Choronozon is throwing me off.

G_C: Naoto is just exposition.txt ;V I really couldn't stand her even though from the promo art and stuff I really -wanted- to. Morgana's wonderful (shut up YellowMagic)

I am very glad I played P4 when I was 18/19, because any older and I don't think I could have stomached it. Watching some scenes from P4G yesterday made me wonder why I liked the game at all in the first place. Karsuman did put it well a few days ago when we were chatting about it -- he said that we never would have received P5 without 3/4 being kinda messy and awkward. Fair enough.
Red_Nova
Choronozon is actually a separate person from Legion. Legion's a higher level persona later in the game. I agree it's odd, as SMT games are usually good about avoiding palette swaps.
Red_Nova
FUN FACT: Merciless mode dramatically increases the damage done by striking weaknesses. If you're in a Palace and low on energy, the way to make the game easier is, ironically, to crank up the difficulty to do way more damage with your limited SP.
Craze
haha, that's interesting. i might try playing on merciless instead of hard on a replay then. just gotta get the Star confidant asap.

really fucking big spoiler? like i suggest you don't even quote this post if you aren't closing in on the end
i just noticed goro has been in the distance on the new/load/config screen this entire fucking time
Pages: first 12 next last