DOES ANYONE REMEMBER GAMINGW? (REMEMBERING GAMINGW)

I thought I might have still had Monopolo somewhere, but all I found was my review that I wrote.
author=Kentona
I thought I might have still had Monopolo somewhere, but all I found was my review that I wrote.

Thanks Kentona! Yeah, I remember reading it. I think any bit of media is helpful at this point. Was Monopolo ever uploaded to RMN? Would there be a way to restore it's gamepage? I remember seeing a trailer and a brief let's play video someone did for it back in 2010, I think. It's just weird how, everyone from Gamingw seems to remember Monopolo, yet we don't seem to have a copy of it - I think it's an important game to talk about when, talking about most of RM2k3 games that came out of Gamingw.net.

I would be lying if I said my more recent stuff that I've worked on, wasn't somewhat inspired by Monopolo.
I still want to play Monopolo very much. I've never been able to find it anywhere, and I missed out on it when it was actually released. I remember the screenshots Silver4Donuts would post in the screenshot threads on GamingW and all the controversy surrounding the game. I recall people constantly claiming that Silver4Donut's screenshots were not real and were simply mockups. One post in particular claimed that he could tell they were fake, and offered a nonsensical explanation about how RPG Maker processes colors in a certain way or something.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I could have sworn Addit posted a screencap of Monopolo way the hell back ago in the old screenshot thread. It probably isn't the one you all remember from GW, and what I found wasn't in the screenshot thread. However, the screenshot I was thinking of (and found) was...

...this one. Posted during Release Something 13, about five years ago.
Thanks Marrend! This is most definitely Monopolo! after your post I did some quick digging and was able to find the videos I was talking about. They were originally let's play videos PepsiOtaku did for Monopolo back in 2010:

Monopolo wasn't just Monopoly, it was Monopoly with a small anime twist to it; Pennybags was now an anime dojo master, which was kind of cool. But the amount of effort Addit put into this game, just to make it all run through pictures and rpgmaker2003's fieldmap system, is still really technically impressive.

...I was also able to find a download of Monopolo from 2013, but I'm gonna hold off on uploading it, till I reach out to Addit. Part of Monopolo's magic was the original hype Addit built around it - The way Addit hyped this game, he could sell me a used sock and I'd still be interested in whatever he was selling, it was a goddamn phenomenon! - But hype is an extremely difficult thing to build on RMN these days, and unless it's a perfect orchestrated crescendo of gamepage posts and community interaction replies to generate enough buzz score so that it sits happily on the frontpage for a few days, it also could be soul crushing experience.

Even though it's been 5 years, Addit probably still has some plans for this, so I'm gonna hold off on this and reach out to him first.
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I mean, Addit made this post March of last year that has a Monopolo feel to me. So, yeah, probably still chugging along with it?
Oh. Doy.

Yeah, the old Monopolo gameprofile has a download listed. So I downloaded it, but it contains only a single Monopoly.exe file that's 90mb and when I try to run it I just get this error:

idk:

https://rpgmaker.net/users/kentona/locker/Monopoly.zip
Thanks Kentona! Yeah according to PepsiOtaku's let's play vid, Addit placed a MoleBox over Monopolo; so apparently, it doesn't current run on Windows 7 or above. But I was able to get it to run on Windows XP and below. The intro is still pretty good though, love the music, it's really slick, lol.

But yeah, I guess Addit will have to remove the molebox in order to make it playable on more modern operating systems. Vanit did something similar when he finally re-released FF7 2D a couple of years ago.
Moleboxes feel indicatative of certain types of GamingW users who always wanted to hide their CBS code. Now look at where it got us.
this is the remember gamingw thread afterall
Geez, this whole page is nothing but reminiscing about Monopolo, my secret shame! I’m pleasantly surprised to see it mentioned here again like this.

author=dethmetal
I remember the screenshots Silver4Donuts would post in the screenshot threads on GamingW and all the controversy surrounding the game. I recall people constantly claiming that Silver4Donut's screenshots were not real and were simply mockups. One post in particular claimed that he could tell they were fake, and offered a nonsensical explanation about how RPG Maker processes colors in a certain way or something.

Yeah, that was the dumb thing about Gaming World back then, whenever there was an impressive looking screenshot, gameplay video, or game in the works, there would always be a few people there trying to disapprove it, saying that it was not real or fake that it seriously got very annoying and discouraging for all of those who would get it, like myself and many others. Thank god RMN is a much better place where that type of stuff never happens any more.

author=LordBlueRouge
I did some quick digging and was able to find the videos I was talking about. They were originally let's play videos PepsiOtaku did for Monopolo back in 2010:

Oh yeah, I remember when PepsiOtaku took the plunge and did a short Let’s Play for it many years back! It was the only Let’s Play of this game ever done (to my knowledge) and I remember quite enjoying it, although being a bit nervous at the same time hoping that the game doesn’t crash for him or have any dumb bugs in it (thank god there wasn’t). There were also a lot of things pointed out in his Let's Play that I took notes of and ended up fixing them up or added them in for the remastered version that I’ve been working for quite some time now, like having the ability to save up to two ongoing games mid-way and taking out that the dumb controller type button icon thingy and just replacing with one single type.

author=LordBlueRouge
Part of Monopolo's magic was the original hype Addit built around it - The way Addit hyped this game, he could sell me a used sock and I'd still be interested in whatever he was selling, it was a goddamn phenomenon!

And yet, the only reason why I constantly showed stuff off and hyped it up as much as I did was because I was excited I was finally going to finish something for once and I guess that excitement was both a detriment and a blessing for it.

(And lol about the selling a used sock comment. In reality, I'm actually not that good at sales. My brother is actually a much better salesperson than I am.)

author=LordBlueRouge
I would be lying if I said my more recent stuff that I've worked on, wasn't somewhat inspired by Monopolo.

Oh wow, that’s really flattering to hear - thank you! This is the best praise that I’ve heard about this game since the security guard that I worked with many years back ended up downloading the game to try, didn’t really like it very much, but his four year old niece absolutely loved it and would try to play it with any one that she could.

author=LordBlueRouge
Yeah according to PepsiOtaku's let's play vid, Addit placed a MoleBox over Monopolo; so apparently, it doesn't current run on Windows 7 or above. But I was able to get it to run on Windows XP and below.

But yeah, I guess Addit will have to remove the molebox in order to make it playable on more modern operating systems. Vanit did something similar when he finally re-released FF7 2D a couple of years ago.

Yeah, the remastered version that I’m working with NOT be Moleboxed, as it really was a dumb idea (and expensive) to do that. I think I just wanted to compile everything into a single .exe file because I was also sharing the game with friends and co-workers from work to not confuse them and click on something else and then complain about why the game doesn’t work for them, or something.

- - -

And yeah, like Marrend said, I’m still chugging along with the remastered version whenever I have any free time to spare and plan on uploading it whenever the time is right. I’ve explained to LordBlueRogue in a PM about my master of action regarding it. But, in the meantime and betweentime - yep, still doing it.

author=kentona
this is the remember gamingw thread afterall

But Gaming World was Monopolo and Monopolo was Gaming World! You can’t have one without the other! It’s like PB and J.
monopolo is still being worked on. what year is it?
author=AznChipmunk

AznChipmunk posting on RMN. What year is it?
author=AznChipmunk

...Shit, Aznchipmunk, while you're here. Download hedge1's rpgmaker list generator and take a look at the games from the missing games list on the archive thread. I'm currently in the process of updating the list, so we may already have some of these games. But from what I remember you had quite a few, including the often requested shattered samurai 2....maybe? My memory is a bit fuzzy here.
just to update this, I somehow got monopolo working on windows 7 with the molebox.
Not sure what happened.

EDIT: did you update monopolo kentonA?
Well hell, I've always wondered what happened with Bart. Glad to hear they're doing well.

Also nice to see names like Faust in this thread. Lots of memories from GW.
I remember gamingw, I also remember the don old rm2k forum. I was a college student, then.
dragonheartman
Developer, Starless Umbra / Heroes of Umbra
Wow GW!

GamingW was my first internet forum I actively posted on. I've used the same avatar since then also. I wanted a place to host my game that wasn't geocities, so I started posting there. My game was rejected hard for being a mess, but it did teach me to be more receptive to critical feedback.

I remember Mr. Y reaching out to me via email to join the content staff. I wrote a few tutorials and then stopped posting there when I helped Sonic47 admin Lunatic Gaming.

I remember the "Which Game&Demo Regular are you" poll where there was a clever bit of code to insert your own user name in the post, tricking me into thinking I was actually considered a regular there.

I remember wanting so badly to be in the community game Easy Mac but not making it. The salt drove me to start a Lunatic Gaming community game.

I remember Medieve giving me feedback and tips on my pixel art ("It's all an illusion") and specifically chatting with him on AIM and him being disappointed in me that I had a youtube video of a bear getting electrocuted and falling off a telephone pole in my favorites. Oddly specific, but I still feel bad about that.

I remember being blown away by "Santa's Sled Racing" of all games. I think it was by Rusty who also did a great caterpillar system as well.

I never thought the landscape of the internet would change so much. All this content I assumed would exist forever is gone.
The issue with Windows 10 in Monopolo is due to a change in an internal API that Molebox was hooking.

I was able to fix the problem and extract the original files so you can play it properly.

Download: https://cherryshare.at/f/IS1a8i/Monopolo.7z

(By the way: Wow, I don't think I ever saw a 27MB RM2k3 map file before. EDIT: I've analyzed it and it contains 2,037,709 lines of event code in just one map - what the actual F - and there are other maps too, not as massive but still, totalling to probably twice that much code overall...)

@Addit: It's a really cool game, and looks like a tremendous amount of work.