WHAT WAS YOUR INTRODUCTION TO MAKING GAMES?

Pages: first 12 next last
I wanted to ask you guys what was the first software
are who got you into game development.

My first software was a free ware software for windows XP called
Scratch.
unity
You're magical to me.
RPG Maker 95, tho I didn't make my first complete game until I started with RPG Maker 2000 ^_^
I messed around a bit in an incredibly old engine called BYOND, which was like RPG Maker with less drag-and-drop and designed for online multiplayer. I never made anything notable with it though.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
Oh man, this brings me back. My introduction was this program called Klik 'N Play, which for some reason I used exclusively to make Pokemon shmups.
author=unity
RPG Maker 95, tho I didn't make my first complete game until I started with RPG Maker 2000 ^_^

Yeah, same idea. I saw RM95 on a friend's computer once, and by the time I got the right combination of modern computer, internet and interest, Don Miguel had released an English version of RM2000.
RPG Maker 2003 somewhere in 2005 I think. Although I don't remember where or how I found out about it.
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
Although my first game was made in RM2k(not 3), my actual first foray into game design came with a nice little addition to Tomb Raider Chronicles: the Tomb Raider Level Editor. Geez, I haven't picked up that program in over a decade...I remember I stopped using it when I found a site where people were sharing their levels, and I discovered everyone was much better at it than me. ._.
RPG Maker 2000 (using Don Miguel's translation) for me was my first official experience making games. I never completed anything though. The first time I completed a game it was made in Flash.

However, my first attempt at making something that might resemble some kind of game was actually in Mario Paint. My brother and I would draw maps and even a UI with icons. We would then "play" the maps using a stamp as the player. That's what later got me interested in finding other tools to create real games.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
A really crappy game with Shoot 'Em Up Construction Kit. I was about 7-ish, and I was using the family's Commodore 64.

At some point, I was using "Game Maker", but I seriously doubt it's the same thing as this. FRUA was somewhere in there.

*Edit: If we're talking specifically about RPG Maker, my brother introduced me to TsuK (that's Don Miguel's translated version of 2K) around 2002-2003. I remember hearing about TsuK3 (the illegal translation of 2K3), but, we never really got that engine.

My next foray into RPG Maker was XP, and I think it must have been at the end of it's life, since I remember trying to remake one of our old TsuK games in XP (to no avail) only to find out later that VX was out, and could probably to the job better.
My intro to game making was Pokémon ROM Hacking with AdvancedMap and such, I never did much though
harmonic
It's like toothpicks against a tank
I downloaded RPGMaker2000 from Don Miguel and make my very first Are Pee Gee Gam called Legacies of Doodie Roodie
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
HYPERCARD, BITCHES
Don Miguel (rpgmaker 2000)
Largely inspired by golden sun.
Porkate42
Goes inactive at least every 2 weeks
Roblox.
You don't need to apologize.
author=Porkate42
Roblox.
You don't need to apologize.

Roblox it's self is a pretty okay place to start with game making, just remove all aspects of other people at your all set
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Playing with Flash in Jr High and then learning the rpg I was working on could be made in an engine that's designed for it
Playstation RPG Maker. After that we got the internet and I found the SNES version, then got introduced to 95 and, well it went chronological from there.
Playing a friend's 2k/2k3 (I never did know which version it was at the time) games, but I didn't try my hand at it until VX
Pages: first 12 next last