WHAT WAS YOUR INTRODUCTION TO MAKING GAMES?

Pages: first prev 12 last
I have no idea whatsoever, it's been way too long ago. I remember how I got interested in games and what was the first language I used to write a game, but I've done ROM hacks, Engine001 stuff, a basic amount of RPG Maker XP...
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Sphere and Pen and Paper. I made quite a few simple board games.
BASIC on a Commodore 64. Couldn't really make much besides text-adventure type stuff, but it was a start.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
My big brother and RPG Maker 2000.
When I was 13 - 14 my best friend at the time showed up at my door hyped as hell. Kept rambling about how he found the coolest program ever. Turns out it was, rpg maker 2000. Since then I have been hooked.

The editor to Warcraft 3 had a pretty big impact on me as well. Spent hours upon hours building custom maps for it. At lan parties while everyone was playing the regular game me and another friend used to sit and build maps for it instead.
My first attempt to make a videogame was in QBASIC. I made things like text adventures, an asteroid clone, and an RPG I called 'Hero's Realm'.

But before that I would design RPGs on looseleaf and store it all in binders. I lost (threw out?) that binder years ago (I regret this).

I doodled worldmaps all the time.

I also started writing a 'Choose Your Own Adventure' novel, but with stats (you were supposed to track your stats and inventory while reading the book)

I also modded C&C: Red Alert a lot, and made maps and levels for Descent II.
unity
You're magical to me.
DUDE I ALSO DID LOOSELEAF BINDERS AND Q-BASIC :DDDDDDDD
Like Liberty, I'm one of the poor souls whose first game was made in the Playstation version of RPG Maker. I don't remember the title of the game I developed, and the memory card containing that abomination has been thoroughly incinerated.

...I'm pretty sure the protagonist's name was Axel and he had black leather pants with flames on them and also a black leather jacket that also had flames on it.
Ebeth
always up for cute art and spicy gay romance
Playing rpgmaker games (Mostly 2k3 ones) and then going, wait maybe I could make something like this. S/o to IGMC 2014 for being the push I needed to finally start messing around with the engine!
author=unity
DUDE I ALSO DID LOOSELEAF BINDERS AND Q-BASIC :DDDDDDDD

unity is kentona, confirmed.
rpgmaker95

but before that I would design games in my school notebooks and composition books.
My parents bought me Klik&Play when I was like 10.
PS2 RPG Maker. I think it was called...crap.

Google...

It looks like it was just called "RPG Maker 2". There's a wiki page for 3, which I never had or even knew existed. Interesting. I was pretty young, I coherently remember listening to Smash Mouth's "Astrolounge" and making random things on it. People had even figured out how to make really long games that were larger than a standard memory card (8mb) and bridge them. It was a surprisingly big community for a console maker, as far as I can remember.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
I was drawing characters, maps, making up battle systems, writing stories for 7 games in the Annihilating a Cataclysm series. (We owned a Thesaurus when I was 16!)(edit; it was all on paper, for fun)
And when my highschool friend found out, he gave me a pirated copy of RM954+.
I made Dude's Adventure, annnnd all my artistic integrity went out the window​.
I started with Rpg maker 3 on ps2 back around 2006, and made crappy Zelda fan games (well couldn't really call them zelda games but oh well) Then I found XP and loved it, then I found VX and replaced XP, then I found 2k3 and 2k and loved them even more (2k3 being my personal favorite). To this day I still never have completed one project, mostly due to time and lack of inspiration, but one of these days I will finally complete something!
I saw my oldest brother rent RPG Maker for the Playstation as a very little kid and it was the greatest thing I ever saw. He didn't let me play. ):

Then my other brother found the snes RPG Maker years later and I watched him progress through a goofy game he made. He soon found RM2k and that's where I finally got my chance to try it out. I was only 11, and the game was quite bad and never finished thankfully. I did work on it a good amount as time progressed though lol.

When I was 15, I decided to get 2k3 for myself as I actually had access to a pc. From then on, I never stopped. After many hours of poor games made, I ventured from 2k3, back to 2k, tried out XP, and went back to 2k again deeming it the best. Then VX Ace was released on steam and my then gf (now wife) bought it for me and here I am, many games later.
Pages: first prev 12 last