HAVE YOU EVER MADE A TRAILER FOR YOUR GAME? IF SO, PLEASE HELP.

Pages: 1
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
I'm looking for suggestions for a good video editor that i can use for making trailers and promotional videos for my stuff. I've been out of the video editing loop for about twelve years and no longer know what's the best option to use. I don't even remember the name of the software i used to use to edit videos before but i remember it was very obscure and free and really not very good.

This time i'm willing to spend money for good software, so please suggest something.

Something that is not After Effects if possible. I would very much like to use After Effects but my computer cannot run it (i've tried), so any other video editing software would be nice.

Someone recommended me Sony Vegas but the person who recommended me it has never used it before, so i can't take that recommendation seriously, i need people who are actively using their software to tell me the ups and downs and why they recommend it, because i don't want to spend money on the wrong editor and regret it forever afterwards.

Things that i'm looking for is the ability to put text and images on videos, possibly with effects, the thing i'm trying to do is use video capture software to get some videos of a game, then use flash to make an animation of the logo of the game next to some sprites doing stuff, pass the flash through Swivel to export the flash file to a high quality/resolution mp4 and then use the video editing software to make the actual video, joining both things or making transitions between them on the go, adding music and sound effects and things of the sort.

Thanks in advance.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Just because you're willing to spend money for quality doesn't mean you have to.

http://www.ivsedits.com/default/
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Avid is the best software you can get.
For reasonable ammount I would recommend Sony Movie Studio, it's radically cheaper than Vegas and can do everything i usually need.
Windows Movie Maker is where it's at.

EDIT: And I googled it and apparently Windows Movie Maker disappeared in January!
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
author=Shinan
Windows Movie Maker is where it's at.

EDIT: And I googled it and apparently Windows Movie Maker disappeared in January!
Weird, I just a slight upgrade copy for free. It's what I use though!
Things that i'm looking for is the ability to put text and images on videos, possibly with effects, the thing i'm trying to do is use video capture software to get some videos of a game, then use flash to make an animation of the logo of the game next to some sprites doing stuff, pass the flash through Swivel to export the flash file to a high quality/resolution mp4 and then use the video editing software to make the actual video, joining both things or making transitions between them on the go, adding music and sound effects and things of the sort.

Since you mentioned Sony Vegas, it sounds like you use Windows, so I'm not gonna be much help unfortunately, but you also mentioned you used Flash so I thought, it wouldn't hurt to mention what I use - it might give you a few suggestions in terms of video editing.

I did the Phantom Legacy Trailer that's on RMN's youtube channel (…it's not great)

But for my movie projects:
- I capture footage using fraps
- I convert the footage to .mov with QuickTime 7 (to lower file size, retain framerate/quality)
- From there, I bring it into iMovie 2011, a Mac application and do most of the editing there.

The reason why I'm mentioning the Phantom Legacy Trailer on RMN's youtube channel though, is because, The logo that comes in @00:11 in the Trailer and the Credits page at the end was done with Flash:

I made the logo in Flash 5. Once it was finished, I pulled the .fla file into Flash 8.
From Flash 8, (I turned the background of the Flash Movie to blue - The reason why I turned the background blue, was in order for the flash movie to overlap the video in imovie @00:11) and then convert the file into a component quicktime video file in order to bring it into imovie '11.

This method obviously isn't for everyone - it's incredibly cumbersome to use and there are probably better video software applications out there that can achieve this effect now. But it's a very cheap method to get Flash and Video Editing to be on the same screen together, which sounds like what you might be going for.

(I used swivel before a couple of times and I really liked - but wasn't able to pull off the blue screen trick that I mentioned above with it)

I'll ask around - like, you may not be able to use adobe after effects, but there should be a previous version of it, that you can use, that you should be able to use on your computer that will give you the effects that you need.

But yeah, You should really ask Charblar when you get the chance:

https://rpgmaker.net/users/charblar/

I really liked the trailer she did for Ara Fell, so she may know of what video editor to use in order to pull off what you want to do.

Keep us posted on what you do eventually decided to go with Mirak.
charblar
"wait you made this a career?"
I've been summoned! (good thing I have email notifications on)

As Cap_H mentioned Vegas Movie Studio (MAGIX bought the software from Sony so they've rebranded) is the best thing at the cheapest price for what I assume you're doing. I HAVE had hardware issues with choppy rendering on the lower tier versions however even with a more than capable rig so that is something to keep in mind!

If you're not looking to keep the software after making the trailer however I'd recommend just paying the (ridiculous) $20/month for Adobe Premiere.

If you guys have any more questions feel free to dm me on here/twitter ive been quite busy with full time game dev lately to check in as often but would love to help
Sony Vegas is amazing if you can get it. I've been using it for years, and it does everything I need.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
Alright, so here's an update.

I tried out the software that was suggested by you guys, but unfortunately i couldn't install any of them. All of them are for 64bit systems and i'm still using a 32bit OS.

I couldn't find any old version of Sony Vegas that i could purchase, and i honestly didn't want to resort to piracy since it's been a few years since i last pirated something and i'm not comfortable going back again.

So in the end, i decided to go with Wondershare Filmora, a basic video editor that wasn't very expensive which allowed me to edit videos with ease. Using a combination of Flash, Swivel, Debut and Filmora, i was able to produce this trailer:

It's pretty basic, and i couldn't do the effects i was planning on doing, but at least it works and the result was not too shabby (or I may be wrong, feel free to correct me if you think the trailer was crap).

With Filmora and a bit of flash i'll be able to submit my music to youtube and hopefully get some attention to my services.

Thank you all for taking the time to try and help me out, I appreciate it.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
It's cool.
Maybe make it little shorter? I would skip the title screen. It's strange to see Super Pantito>Fun,Free>Super Pantito
Pages: 1