(2017) RMN BIRTHDAY EVENT IDEAS

Pages: first 1234 next last
It's that time again - RMN's 10th birthday* is just around the corner and there's been a lot of discussion about what we're going to do this year. We've got some neat ideas tossed around in discord so I figured we'd present a few in this topic and you guys can throw in what you'd like to see.

If something is overwhelmingly popular we'll pick that up, otherwise we'll do a poll of the ideas that are doable, inclusive and popular.

Two points that are not for debate:
- This will be a 10 hour event (over a weekend) OR a 10 day event.
- It will start on the 2nd of June.

Some ideas we have already are:

= Smashers and Bash
Take two very different franchises (book/movie/series) and slap 'em together.
Carebears and Biker Mice From Mars/Star Wars and Rainbow Bright/IT and My Little Pony/TRON and The Hungry, Hungry Caterpillar, for example

= Badaption 2: Return of the Baddening
Make a game based on a bad adaption of a movie/book/series.

= Escape the Room
Make an escape the room challenge game where you have to puzzle your way out of a locked room.

= RMN Cameo
Put us all in a game. Yup.

= Retroville
Make a game that uses early DQ/FF type aesthetic. This means square-square tiles and very limited colour schemes. Simple is as simple does.

= Just a Normal Event
Theme, time and done. Let you guys do the rest.

Any other likely ideas I'll add here. Let us know what you think/want!
Trihan
"It's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."
I vote for making a game with entirely Engrish dialogue.
Frogge
I wanna marry ALL the boys!! And Donna is a meanc
Oh man, all these are great.

If I can only vote for one I'd say badaptation. If not, badaptation, cameo, crossover or room escape. Or normal. Basically all of them except retro.

Edit: entirely engrish dialogue works too
I like the idea of RMN cameo stuff, or some sort of looking back at the vague history of any one's time on RMN in the form of a game. Though really doesn't have to be too specific other than "Represent RMN in whatever way you feel"

inb4 someone makes a game that's straight up just a game about the mafia.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Bashing sounds legit. And everyone should use that random crossover generator. Plus it would end up as bunch of badaptations.

Edit: I would prefer 10 hours. Engrish comes free with all of my games regardles of theme. My idea would be to slash rmn with some franchise.
Oh, that's a neat one - personal history of being on the site. I like that.

author=Cap_H
Bashing sounds legit. And everyone should use that random crossover generator. Plus it would end up as bunch of badaptations.

Also this idea is neat too.
So many ideas... Cameos of RMN peeps would be fun I think, but only as part of one of the other ones. Like if it was an X/MLP combo then we could make Trihan a pony and have him trot around the house. Although for that we'd need arts.

Maybe a bad ero-smutty/fanfic/engrishy/franchise mash? Like make it as bad as possibly in a cringey way, but also fun with a story where you just have to keep reading/seeing to see what happens next? (Although if it has ero, then it'd be a true test of skill to make it site viable while still being smutty.)

Example; Frogge wiggled in his black latex gimp suit. He wasn't quite sure what had happened last night, but he felt strange. Also gimped. He looked over and saw Colonel Mustard eating a Subway sandwich, heavy on the mustard and rye toast. Colonel Mustard licked his lips hedonisticlly and he savaged the sandwich. Mustard got all over Colonel Mustards pantsuit.--
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I'm always up for putting in cameos... of game-characters. I don't necessarily trust myself to do cameos of the member-base. Or, I'm just being silly/embarrassed about it.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I guess i'll end up sneaking cameos in whatever the theme is. If the thme are cameos i guess i'll remake Yuno's realm to make some sense and to be playable.

10 hours should be enough for some entries to have their own gamepages and these games should be reviewable.
Boycott Event and Work On Personal Projects Instead
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=zDS

That sounds like a possible plan for "Release Something - VX XV Edition". Though, we had a "Release Something" event earlier in the year, I think. It's probably not time for another one of those.

*Edit: The thought in my head is to just use the event-locker. Unless it's the ten-day deal. Then, it probably can/should take gamepage downloads.
Kloe
I lost my arms in a tragic chibi accident
I'd say we go for like, cameos and the theme of the number 10... or even like, 10 games in a month.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I've been thinking and the tenth anniversary is worth more than a single event. I would totally go with a fast one (10 hours), it's always fun to plan for these and atmosphere around them is intense.
10 days seem to be ideal for a chain game. It happens that i have one i would like to return to. More generic RMN chain game full of cameos would be nice too. 10 days per participant ought to be enough to make it big and somehow consistent.

Edit: nobody mention escape the room so far. It would be cool to have that as a theme for some event (ideally a short one), but iwould find it more amusing, if the anniversary would be celebrated with something more punny. This would be a good logical challenge and it's possible to web all kinds of stories around it. I can imagine cheesy horrors, philosphical artsy wannabes and plain good puzzles.
ESBY
extreme disappointment
make something in 10 hours is enough.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
I vote to make a game in 10 hours over 10 days.

Smashers and Bash

Also, I see no reason why we couldn't make a game eligible for its own game page.
I've always wanted to do a Liberty quest game XD
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
i thought this was july 2nd and i was really sad since i wouldn't be able to do anything :< but it's not so turn that frown upside down :>

= RMN Cameo
Put us all in a game. Yup.

= Retroville
Make a game that uses early DQ/FF type aesthetic. This means square-square tiles and very limited colour schemes. Simple is as simple does.

are my votes. i think a mix with retroville, especially in honor of kentona, would be pretty nice. maybe add in ties to all of our illustrious leaders (holb, wip, karsuman, kentona, liberty, and shout-out to ankylo)

maybe also tie in those who have stuck with this site for its time and before? the community itself came out of #rm2k and a sorta-exodus from gamingw -- non-admin faces like craze (hey that's me), blindmind, darken, addit, trihan, nessy, shihan, uprc, erave, louiscyphre, magi, etc. are all still posting.

edit: i keep adding folks as i remember sorry if i missed you we're all getting fucking old okay
Everyone gives RMN $10
Both Badaptation II and Smashers and Bash sound great to me. For reference, here's what was cooked up for the last Badaption contest, just so that people don't accidentally do the same thing twice. (Btw, a few of those short games are still unreviewed today.) It's a pretty eclectic mix, and I am hoping it would get even better if it's chosen again and there's double the time available. We could see The Art of The Deal: The Game, or something else equally out there.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
Badaptation, Escape the Room and RMN Cameo sound good to me. I think RMN Cameo always fits the theme best.

I would also suggest the "Day in the Life" idea where the aim of the event is to create a game representing a day in the life of the developer.

author=zDS

10 Hours Is Too Much To Spend On Anything Else, My Magnum Opus Is Already Awaiting Its Overdue Applause
Pages: first 1234 next last