CONCERN: IS MY PROJECT DIFFICULT TO UNDERSTAND?

Pages: first prev 12 last
I think you just solved a problem with this. All this time, I hadn't though of making armored enemies jumpable as well. When I said I had no intention on editing the monster sprites, it was due to the creation of a different AI that would be hard to detect since some of their sprites are so small. The idea LockeZ had was genius, but no one would be able to tell if an enemy is stompable or not with such an observant amount of detail.

To be honest, I've been thinking lately about removing the stomp system altogether. But, just now you mentioned that Mario enemies are able to be stomped on even if armored. LockeZ also mentioned that the only enemies that damaged you were spiked ones. So, in this case, if the hermit crab LockeZ mentioned has that shell of his, you should be either able to stomp on him to make it hide, or attack its face.

This means that even though I said I had no intention on editing, it looks like its a must. And no, this isn't a facade. Everything being said in this topic has helped me a lot and helps prove even more that in some ways, I don't know what I'm doing. I felt like things I had were right, but here we are correcting what needs to corrected. Nipping bad design in the bud regardless if the creator thinks its good is a great way to get a feel of what others are thinking. Now that I know what's been addressed, its time to go and rethink what I'm doing in every sense.

Its very important to have strong faith in your project, but this topic is evident that I don't have 100% faith in what's being made. Thank you all for your time, criticism, and advice that is extremely valuable not only to this game's progression, but to my knowledge as a developer as well. This way, with future projects, the same mistakes won't occur.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Well, the issue with all three crab sprites isn't so much "They look stompable but aren't" or "They don't look stompable but are," it's more like "I look at them and they kinda look stompable but kinda don't depending on what part of the enemy I'm paying attention to." It's unclear. That's why I suggested the more complex solution of editing the sprites to be clearer, rather than the more simple solution of just changing whether or not they're stompable.

That said, if you think you can solve it a different way, go for it. I don't know what other enemies you have and haven't seen other levels, so there might be a side to the issue I don't see.

This is totally unrelated, but I also kinda recommend replacing the really iconic "you lost all your rings" sound effect at 3:29 with some other sound. I figure a lot of other sound effects are probably also ripped, but for the most part no one will notice. This is one that every single player will recognize. If you're interested in free-to-use sound effects try https://www.freesound.org which has a lot of high-quality sounds. If you want something more old-school, then try http://www.bfxr.net where you can make your own electronic bleep bloops in an easy web interface. If you don't care about either of those things then maybe just steal a different sound from another game, I dunno. It's not a huge deal but I wanted to give you some options in case the use of the ripped sound was simply due to not having anything better, which I suspect is probably the case, since this isn't a Sonic fangame.

author=XBuster
Its very important to have strong faith in your project, but this topic is evident that I don't have 100% faith in what's being made.
I don't actually think this is true. I think it's important to have faith in the concept you're trying to make, but I think it's extremely dangerous, no matter how good you are at game design, to ever assume you succeeded at it. Every game, even the best AAA professional game, has serious problems. I mean if you land on top of a Thwomp in Mario 3 you get hurt even though it's completely flat on top. And sometimes your feet just clip through the top row of pixels of an enemy and you get hurt when landing on a goomba. No matter how good your game is, it always still sucks. There's always room for more improvement. Don't ever stop making it better!
Oh! Good idea. I do own a copy of bfxr myself. Though, I've been wondering how the RPGMaker RTP sounds were made. Recently, I went on a ripping quest to get sound effects from every Monster World game. The Sonic sound is a mere placeholder for that particular object. Its really fun messing with bfxr and I have no doubt that people use that for commercial games as well. Thanks for the heads up!

Its also a strong point that you mentioned that even the best games have issues. Rules that are set in games are very important and lately I've been hearing the phrase "just because something is different doesn't always mean its a good idea". Lots of content I thought was good long ago has been cut completely from the game. My goal now is to find a balance that will make the game as simple as possible,have a good way to teach the player, let the player relax, and have fun with minimal frustration.

As a bonus, I'll let you all in on something. In the past, I was a complete perfectionist. All throughout my school years, I took art classes to improve my skills. One complaint I always got in High School from both Teachers and Peers was "I take too long with my projects". I would have to take them home in order to even get close to finishing them. Even so, I got points taken off for being late in turning them in. Although, that was ages ago, a bit of that mentality still resides within me.

Believe it or not, you all are helping me lighten up quite a bit and learn to create a quality product without taking it too seriously. I feel this topic has made me stronger in quite a few ways already. You guys are alright XD
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I've been making the same game since 2003, and it had already been out for five years when I joined the development team, so maybe I'm not the person you want to listen to if your goal is to spend less time per project.
Pages: first prev 12 last