GOT Book Series
75%
GOT TV Series
25%

Pages: 1
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

(I left out spoilers here)

Before I watched GOT on TV I read books 1-5 (I have always known pretty well what would happen.) Now there have been a small number of deviations in the story, but I'm not watching season 5 (Taiwan=reasons.) And there's some very huge deviations between the book and the TV series. I'm well aware that the TV series will likely finish decades or centuries before Martin finished his books. So if I watch till the end now I'll be going in blind (I won't know the true story that was written in the book.) Now while I believe in a general sense it will be similar, there is likely to be more and more of these changes made. And Martin can go completely crazy and change his whole story later when he actually writes it. I don't know if there is a precedent for a TV show or movie to be finished prior to a book series. (Not counting those horrible book adaptions that are made after movies for that purpose.)
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
There exists no Game of Thrones book series. There exists the Song of Ice and Fire book series, the first of which is called Game of Thrones.

I don't think I've ever seen a film adaptation of a book (series) that's better than the book(s), and this is no exception. The books are better.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Jeroen_Sol
There exists no Game of Thrones book series. There exists the Song of Ice and Fire book series, the first of which is called Game of Thrones.

I don't think I've ever seen a film adaptation of a book (series) that's better than the book(s), and this is no exception. The books are better.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Even the book's author hated his own book after seeing the movie, and when he wrote the sequels, he retconned the first book as nothing more than a dream by Jessica Rabbit and made all future books in line with the movie.

As for Game of Thrones, I've never seen the show or read the books, so I have no opinion.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
I have to imagine the books are better because I don't think the series is that great
Both.

I'm not a book snob; television is a fantastic media outlet to tell stories, and some of the best stories ever told by anyone are through TV series. Same with film. While a lot of books have had their shit fucked up by on screen adaptations, I think the adage that a plot in a book is inherently better no matter what is a symptom of bitter nerds hating things because they're popular or intended for a wider audience.

With that being said... About GOT show vs books; they both have their merits; the book is intricate, detailed, and full of nuance and plot, however some of the plot lines are ridiculous and there's a real concern that R.R. Martin has written himself into a corner with the sheer amount of subplots going on. By contrast, the TV show has great pace, fantastic acting talent, visual direction, and its succinct, yet some of the themes and messaging from the book are lost due to adaptation.

The show might edge out because it'll certainly finish, though, something that the jury is out on with the books.
The biggest problem I have with the series is that they're changing the actors so often ... Also they started some of the subplots and just canceled them when recognizing that there's not enough screentime left and the subplot is not that important (I guess that's the problem when you start a TV show about an UNFINISHED book series). Some changes in the series just feel like being done for popularity reasons ("because the fans don't like Mormont's raven" and stuff like that) and that always sucks.

Still way better than the screwed up story of "Jaws" or "First Blood (Rambo)" ... Popular or not: Those two are perfect examples of horrible Hollywood bullsh*t dirt "fixed" for the whiney mainstream audience!

TV is always the media that has more consumers than books. No matter if awesome or lousy. Because most of the people are just to lazy to read ... Even I am.
I kind of figured that when the TV show caught up to the source material and had to start writing it's own original stuff from scratch instead of relying on the meticulous handiwork that took Martin years to perfect, it would turn into a ridiculous gong show. Sure enough, the Battle of the Bastards proved my fears.

That said, I haven't actually read any of the books past halfway through the first, but if I had to choose one over the other, it would definitely be the books. The show is a nice also-there.
SunflowerGames

(Spoilers from Book, but not TV show = doesn't happen on TV.)

The fifth book introduces a strange subplot with a new Targaryen, that wasn't really dead. The spider helped fake his death in the throne room when all the bodies where laid there. When I read this I thought Martin was going to far. The TV series so far hasn't even mentioned this (And I doubt it will because Tyrion met this feelow before meeting the Queen of Dragons.)

And in the book Catelyn Stark is still alive and captures Brienne of Tarth and Pod. Jaime Lannister then goes out to find her after negotiating a treaty.

If you account the overall acting, directing, set design, wardrobe, special effects, audience reach, music, and fast production time, the show is far superior to the books, which are plagued with an obscene amount of unnecessary characters and plot lines with no end in sight. George is great, in fact he wrote some of the episodes himself and is one of the best writers alive, but he is only one man. There are many times when the book is better, but this is not one of em.
I feel the show has really lost the thread in the most recent season. Basically the more off book it goes the worse it seems to get. Now it's probably not terrible. But the last season wasn't... great. I mean sure it had great moments but if you even stop and think about a lot of the events for even a bit they mostly don't make any sense at all.

The books on the other hand make a lot of sense. In fact you could say that from the books released so far you can pretty much tell what is going to happen going forward. Despite the books being a kind of commentary on regular fantasy tropes and whatnots there's a clear trajectory the story is taking and in its broadest strokes it is predictable. Because of what has been set up so far.

Though I guess the TV show also knows some of this. Because it knows the "cool moments" that need to happen. But don't seem to bother setting any of it up at all. Or it does set it up but then just botches the execution so badly. Like most of the action in the North the last couple of seasons. Jon is killed and resurrected and the Night's Watch doesn't give a fuck either way. Sansa doesn't tell Jon about the Knights of the Vale despite being literally asked about if there's anything she knows seconds before. The Bolton Bastard is just an annoying prick throughout that has so much plot armour it's just silly until he finally gets killed. That guy must have been the writers' pet or something because he's so obnoxious but everything he does is steeped in "look how cool this guy is" even when it's mostly annoying. Joffrey at least made a little bit of sense.

And the whole show is like this now. Or so it feels like. Remember how in the early show and in the books Jaime is the "Kingslayer" and is constantly reminded and branded because of what he did. Well in the show so many people have slain kings (and queens) now it's ridiculous. At least in the books there is actual politicking (and it's the best parts) there are factions that need appeasing and factions that oppose certain things. In the show it just seems that whoever kills the previous regent becomes the new regent. (See Dorne, King's Landing and the Seastone Chair (or the "Salt Throne" as it is known in the show. An incredibly stupid and useless name change if you ask me)

The thing is the show is pretty good and I enjoy it. But writing this makes me angry at it. It just doesn't pass... Thinking about it. Otherwise it's pretty good.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
author=lianderson
...the books, which are plagued with an obscene amount of unnecessary characters and plot lines with no end in sight.

I heavily disagree. Worldbuilding is everything, and Martin knows it. You can't build a world without populating it, and actually turning those characters into people rather than simply generic soldier #527 is what makes Song of Ice and Fire great. And killing off people is also much more impactful than killing off generic soldier #1032. Of course there's still a lot of nameless soldiers in Song of Ice and Fire, but it's a lot better than "You got your main cast of unkillable heroes and they fight hordes of nameless orcs." Besides, people die a lot in Song of Ice and Fire. If not "unnecessary characters", who will take their place?

The complexity of the plot also makes the world come alive. At any given time, all over Westeros and the East, tons of things are happening. Time never stands still just because no "main characters" are there at the moment. And the plentitude of plot lines also serves to make sure no true main characters exist. After all, life has no main characters, and anyone can die. Again, this is a lot better than "You got your main cast of unkillable heroes and they do the only interesting things in the whole world."
author=Jeroen_Sol
author=lianderson
...the books, which are plagued with an obscene amount of unnecessary characters and plot lines with no end in sight.
I heavily disagree. Worldbuilding is everything, and Martin knows it. You can't build a world without populating it, and actually turning those characters into people rather than simply generic soldier #527 is what makes Song of Ice and Fire great. And killing off people is also much more impactful than killing off generic soldier #1032. Of course there's still a lot of nameless soldiers in Song of Ice and Fire, but it's a lot better than "You got your main cast of unkillable heroes and they fight hordes of nameless orcs." Besides, people die a lot in Song of Ice and Fire. If not "unnecessary characters", who will take their place?

The complexity of the plot also makes the world come alive. At any given time, all over Westeros and the East, tons of things are happening. Time never stands still just because no "main characters" are there at the moment. And the plentitude of plot lines also serves to make sure no true main characters exist. After all, life has no main characters, and anyone can die. Again, this is a lot better than "You got your main cast of unkillable heroes and they do the only interesting things in the whole world."

Sure, you're right in a broader sense.

The problem with ASOIAF is that this isn't what's happening, at least not anymore; what's happening is that the series has a ton of unresolved, almost convoluted plotlines and subplotlines that need (or should) be resolved before the series inevitably ends. A major, major criticism of the book series is that Martin has effectively written himself into a corner with many of the plotlines, which is speculated to be the reason why Winds of Winter is taking forever.

It's not like an infinite amount of worldbuilding (which, if anyone knows me, knows I'm huge into worldbuilding) and plotlines/complexity can be applied to a story with impunity; you gotta know when to cut that shit out and write with the plotlines and world you already got and established.
SunflowerGames

Interestingly enough I have always enjoyed the LOTR movies more than the books. Perhaps its because I find the books to be a tad more childish compared to the more mature novels in fantasy I'm used to reading. (Hell one of my favorite series has a main character who was a former prostitute.)

There's a lot of stupid story lines in the book, but there's some scenes that were more impactful when read. The Red Wedding was so much more devastating to read about than to watch. (Maybe it just wasn't a shock to me when it happened on TV. But I felt the book had earned that moment much more.)
I prefer the books, but the series also have their merits.

A major problem with both the books and the series are the multiple plotlines. Martin did a lot of world building in his books and worldbuilding is generally considered something good. However, if you do lot of world building, sooner or later, you reach a point where you need to focus more on moving the story forward and can't keep building as much.

I my opinion, SoIaF hit that point, but Martin continued world building to the detriment of the books. Even if he starts moving forward at a fast phase now, every plot thread moves one at a time, meaning things will move slowly anyway. There's also the question if Martin even can resolve all threads in a satisfying way at all.

The series omit introducing a lot of the plot threads and are also tying a lot of them together or flat out closing them, thus allowing the story to move forward faster. The problem is that this is not done very skillfully. Typically, what happens in the books are at least believable consequences of peoples desires, actions and circumstances. In the series, not so much. Rather, what happens feels like it happens because the director decided it has to happen.

There's also the risk that both the books and the series have a good chance of crashing and burning.

It's not too unlikely that Martin will never finish the books and they have to be finished by someone else, like the Wheel of Time series. This is not necessarily a disaster, but the books are already taking a lot of time as it is. It's also likely that Martin will not be able to resolve the dangling threads in a satisfying way at all.

The series is kind of losing itself as it goes further and further away from the railing of the books. What is supposed to be multiple faction conspiring with and against each other is turning into what more and more resembles the hero(es) vs the antagonists. What we may get is something that technically has the characters and world from the books, but otherwise is something entirely else.

It's a pity, because when SoIaF is good, it's really good.
SunflowerGames

There's at least one thing that the TV series did, that would have benefited the book:

Brienne of Tarth's fight with the Hound was really good in the TV show, but is never written down. I would have loved to see Martin have written that in the book as it really does both characters justice.
I read the first book a while ago so my memory of it is a bit fuzzy, I remember liking it though. Haven't seen the show so I can't really say much about it.
Since the book has so many subplots and huge and that arr vital to the main one it makes it incredibly convoluted. You're talking about young Griff, they may be Argon they may be a slave that looks like a Targaryen they could be a Blackfrye, on ramp for the part of the prophecy Beware of the mummer's Dragon. He is definitely the mummer's Dragon. Which could mean he's both he the spider tool and false dragon.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
JoelMB gets it
Pages: 1