[RMVX ACE] NEED SOME HELP WITH TILESETS

Pages: 1
I am working on a survival horror type game but I am not very good at spiriting and my custom tilesets leave much to be desired. I am sure with time, I can perfect it. I am not looking for someone to do the work for me but to help me out and give me some pointers.

To give you an idea on what I am working on. The game is based around an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation (Genesis 7x19) where the crew is de-evolved by a virus that turned on all of their genes. In the episode, Picard is pursued by Worf who has been de-evolved into a primitive Klingon and the concept I thought would make a good survival horror in the vein of Resident Evil or Silent Hill. The game takes place entirely on a ship and that is what the tilesets I am making revolve around.

To help, I am altering the tilesets that come with the program so I get proportions right. For example, here is the item tileset I am editing with items that will decorate the interior of the rooms as well as LCARS panels and doors. I still have some work to do with it. I figured several of the stock sprites are usable because crew members can decorate their quarters how ever they please. I just need to make some more tables and chairs.

and here is my wall tileset

But this is what I get when I try to construct a scene to test my tileset

I dunno what I did wrong. I want to be able to put the vertical panels next to the doors but can't.
At a glance looks like you need an extra layer in that map.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Did you purposely want the parallax to be in the background behind your tileset?
For some reason when trying to tweek things in Photoshop, it wants to be transparent. I'll have to do a solid color layer underneath the tiles.
SunflowerGames

I haven't used photoshop, so I can't tell you what your doing wrong.
Gimp might be the way :)
Can you show your tileset? I'm interested in how you've implemented the walls and where (always leave the top-left square on the B tileset empty!)
I tweeked it again, and still no success

SunflowerGames

Do you want the walls to be solid grey? Or do you want there to be a black line between those tiles? I think I could do either one of those things very quickly.

Which tileset are you using? A3 / A5 / B?
I can't do animated tiles.

I want it to be a textured grey (Like anodized aluminum) with the black lines between, designating panels that could be removed for repair, etc. (not in the game, but in the show they often removed wall panels to get to stuff. I am doing A4 so I can do three walls
I went back to square one and I took a screenshot from an episode of a wall (weird, I know) and redrew it pixel by pixel.

This is what I came up with in PS

and here is my test room

A big step in the right direction, just don't like the lines
SunflowerGames

Try not using the animated tiles, they're very complicated. You can construct a way to use your tiles in the B tile set. Then if you want to put anything if front of it later you can use events.
I personally recommend not using auto tiles because they are really finicky and it takes a lot of time to get it to look right. I typically use A5 as a base and B-E as things that go over and just hand tile everything, I find it makes things easier if you are trying to do something specific.

That being said I am gonna try my best to explain some things with auto tiles since that seems to be what you are using. I made a quick set to kind of explain.

The example above shows an autotile set with a 1 pixel black boarder all around it. It looks fairly funky because on the edges because I failed to add the pixel on the mirroring boarder edges. RPG maker (at least ACE) seems to take a cut up the 64x64 square into 16 different 16x16 squares, and rearranges them to create the tiles shown.

If I were to add a pixel to the outside, it looks something more like this:

There are also some tricks you can do with the auto tiles like holding shift and dragging over stuff you already made then putting it down somewhere else. Doing that you can do stuff like this:

Changing the orientation of the lines will help you get a different look as well.

You just need to be aware what RPG maker will draw when you put down the tiles. just gets some getting used to it.

Sorry that explanation is probably terrible, but I'm in a hurry so I didn't have much time to think this out lol. Hopefully you find that at least remotely helpful.
author=wotgAshiee
I personally recommend not using auto tiles because they are really finicky and it takes a lot of time to get it to look right. I typically use A5 as a base and B-E as things that go over and just hand tile everything, I find it makes things easier if you are trying to do something specific.

That being said I am gonna try my best to explain some things with auto tiles since that seems to be what you are using. I made a quick set to kind of explain.

The example above shows an autotile set with a 1 pixel black boarder all around it. It looks fairly funky because on the edges because I failed to add the pixel on the mirroring boarder edges. RPG maker (at least ACE) seems to take a cut up the 64x64 square into 16 different 16x16 squares, and rearranges them to create the tiles shown.

If I were to add a pixel to the outside, it looks something more like this:

There are also some tricks you can do with the auto tiles like holding shift and dragging over stuff you already made then putting it down somewhere else. Doing that you can do stuff like this:

Changing the orientation of the lines will help you get a different look as well.

You just need to be aware what RPG maker will draw when you put down the tiles. just gets some getting used to it.

Sorry that explanation is probably terrible, but I'm in a hurry so I didn't have much time to think this out lol. Hopefully you find that at least remotely helpful.

I tried that, and still didn't get the results I want. It feels like I am too dumb to do this.
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
This here gives you a detailed explanation of how Autotiles work:
http://blog.rpgmakerweb.com/tutorials/anatomy-of-an-autotile/

I hope this helps you ThatGuy1
Pages: 1