FEMALE PROTAGONIST GAMES WITH EXCELLENT WRITING/STORY?

Pages: first 123 next last
I have a really big issue with the writing in games these days now that indie games have reached such a heightened level of popularity. Whenever I'm looking for games that feature a female protagonist with writing that doesn't suck, I typically look to rpgmaker dot net. Not that I can ever find much myself. I was wondering if any of you have encountered any such games on here? Steam is so dry =[
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
This is basically unity's entire output, so check out her stuff

NB I am involved in most of them so I am partially tooting my own dang horn.
author=Sooz
This is basically unity's entire output, so check out her stuff

NB I am involved in most of them so I am partially tooting my own dang horn.

yasss thank you
sooz is the best tooter
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
<fart.wav>
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
BelovedCriminal
I have a really big issue with the writing in games these days now that indie games have reached such a heightened level of popularity. Whenever I'm looking for games that feature a female protagonist with writing that doesn't suck, I typically look to rpgmaker dot net. Not that I can ever find much myself. I was wondering if any of you have encountered any such games on here? Steam is so dry =[

Female protagonists are basically all I do. I'm trying to think of a single game I've made with a male protagonist, and I can't honestly think of one.

EDIT: Shattered has male prot., but Nessie led that one, and River of Stars has a male prot. but he shares the lead with a female prot.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Okiku, Star Apprentice has among my most favorite characters to write for. However, the story of that game wasn't particularly deep, so it might not be what you're looking for. I wonder if Konae's Investigations might fit this bill a bit better? It's part of a trilogy of games, but, I make attempts to make it a stand-alone game. Not even sure if they worked!
Chronicles of Tsufanubra has a female protagonist. I co-wrote it, so I'd like to think the writing is pretty good. It's currently the site's featured game so I'd hope it's at least decent.

Umbral Soul, which came out around the same time, is probably my favorite freeware RPG that's come out in the last few years, and has one of my favorite female protagonists in any video game.

It feels awkward recommending my own stuff in a thread asking for excellent writing, but if you haven't already played it, Ara Fell did get a lot of praise for that aspect, and Lita used to be one of the more famous RM* female protagonists back in the day.
Sooz
author=TungerManU
Free Spiritsis one of my personal favorites

Oh dang, yeah, seconded!

Too bad it's unlikely to finish :(
author=BadLuck
It feels awkward recommending my own stuff in a thread asking for excellent writing, but if you haven't already played it, Ara Fell did get a lot of praise for that aspect, and Lita used to be one of the more famous RM* female protagonists back in the day.

I second Ara Fell.
pianotm
Sooz
TungerManU
Free Spiritsis one of my personal favorites
Oh dang, yeah, seconded!

Too bad it's unlikely to finish :(

Arcmagik
BadLuck
I second Ara Fell.

I third both of these.
author=Marrend
Okiku, Star Apprenticehas among my most favorite characters to write for. However, the story of that game wasn't particularly deep, so it might not be what you're looking for. I wonder if Konae's Investigations might fit this bill a bit better? It's part of a trilogy of games, but, I make attempts to make it a stand-alone game. Not even sure if they worked!

Okiku is a really silly character I love her. <3

Also, yes, anything Unity puts out!

Karma Flow by Oldpat is a good. The Grumpy Knight is also a good.

If you want to check out Mechanima, the demo for Hollow Project, or Razed are the Powerful you might have fun~ (Idk about really good writing tho)
pianotm
Oh! Vindictive Drive! Commercial game, but it's only 3 dollars and worth it!
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Amort, Free Spirits, Unity's games, April was a fool, Last Word...

And Steam isn't dry. There's Gone Home, Her Story...but it's a different category of games.

Edit: Razed are a good reco too. Marrend is fun and have fem protags. Piano, I would say the newer game the better. Housekeeping has A Long Rope.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
I definitely suggest checking out unity's output, especially Luxaren Allure.

Seconding April was a Fool as well.

I also like The Longing Ribbon and Wine and Roses although there's somewhat less focus on the writing in those games.

Ara Fell is a lot of fun although it isn't free.

As for non-RPG Maker games, I highly recommend Nihon Falcom's Trails in the Sky.
aight here's my volunteer marketing

KINETIC CIPHER, be warned the game isn't finished and never will be. but the main protag is so memorable despite being literally rtp heroine it's the details that add up and make her. (Whip wielding gifted psychic basically).

pictured far left

fanart by @xrg_artwork
Trihan
"It's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."
Kinetic Cipher was amazing. Brickroad is one of the greatest dungeon designers the community's ever had.
Pages: first 123 next last