NOW YOU'RE PLAYING WITH SUPER POWER! (SNES MINI)

Pages: first 12 next last
The SNES Mini was announced. I am psyched. It has a solid lineup of games (though only 21 vs the Mini NES's 30)(also, is missing Chrono Trigger), and it comes with TWO controllers. I never did manage to snag a NES mini, and I worry about production runs for the SNES Mini - hopefully Nintendo learned its lessons and have prepared a significant supply. I wonder if I will be able to get this one.

http://gizmodo.com/the-super-nintendo-classic-edition-arrives-with-21-game-1796419063

Release Date: Sept 29th
Cost: $79.99 (USD probably)

GAEMS:

Contra III: The Alien Wars
Donkey Kong Country
EarthBound
Final Fantasy III
F-ZERO
Kirby Super Star
Kirby's Dream Course
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Mega Man X
Secret of Mana
Star Fox
Star Fox 2
Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
Super Castlevania IV
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Super Punch-Out!!
Yoshi's Island

I did just get my second SNES-styled USB controller the other week, though, and set up my Steambox with an SNES emulator, so I am not as keen as I would otherwise have been. Still, it sounds like a sweet unit. I wouldn't turn one down!

And how about that Star Fox 2?
I still want a NES mini more. So I'm not really all that excited about this one. If it has more than an incredibly limited run I might get one. But I also might not since Nintendo are assholes for not making more of the NES one.
Notable omissions (imho):
Chrono Trigger
NBA Jam
Rock n' Roll Racing
SimCity
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time
Final Fantasy II (though this has been re-released to death)

All of the other games I'd want are a little more esoteric and wouldn't be reasonably expected to be on an SNES mini.

E:
Oh shit, Tetris Attack! That's missing.
I don't have high hopes over the quantity produced. Nintendo has said they'll produce more but beyond 2017 it doesn't sound like they have plans to continue the product. From this Kotaku article:

Nintendo
We aren’t providing specific numbers, but we will produce significantly more units of Super NES Classic Edition than we did of NES Classic Edition.

Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition is currently planned to ship from Sept. 29 until the end of calendar year 2017. At this time, we have nothing to announce regarding any possible shipments beyond this year.

Our long-term efforts are focused on delivering great games for the Nintendo Switch system and continuing to build momentum for that platform, as well as serving the more than 63 million owners of Nintendo 3DS family systems. We are offering Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition in special recognition of the fans who show tremendous interest our classic content.

e: at least the controller cables are longer, a whole five feet! That's two feet more than the NES classic controller cables! And that's terrible.
Unirally is the one game that should be on there.

There were also a bunch of release games that could have fit on there. Pilotwings, Super Soccer and Super Tennis maybe.
Uniracers was a fun game. The lack of Pilotwings is also unfortunate. Man, the SNES had a lot of great games.

author=GreatRedSpirit
I don't have high hopes over the quantity produced. Nintendo has said they'll produce more but beyond 2017 it doesn't sound like they have plans to continue the product. From this Kotaku article:

Nintendo
We aren’t providing specific numbers, but we will produce significantly more units of Super NES Classic Edition than we did of NES Classic Edition.

Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition is currently planned to ship from Sept. 29 until the end of calendar year 2017. At this time, we have nothing to announce regarding any possible shipments beyond this year.

Our long-term efforts are focused on delivering great games for the Nintendo Switch system and continuing to build momentum for that platform, as well as serving the more than 63 million owners of Nintendo 3DS family systems. We are offering Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition in special recognition of the fans who show tremendous interest our classic content.

e: at least the controller cables are longer, a whole five feet! That's two feet more than the NES classic controller cables! And that's terrible.

wtf nintendo.

Do they hate money?
There's so many good SNES games I'm more tempted to buy an everdrive or similar flash card in SNES cart or a retropie and just curate my own list of cool and hip snes games than go through the headache of trying to buy Nintendo's latest shitstorm.
Why not Supar Mario All-Stars + World? >:o
cheapskates

Still, I guess it will be nice to see that secret finished Starfox 2 ROM that Nintendo's been hoarding for years.

hopefully Nintendo learned its lessons

AHAHAHAHAHAHA
Apart from the very valid "not supporting developers" argument, I don't see a reason to not just emulate :\ These mini-consoles seem gimmicky considering that we've had superior oldschool gaming capability for literally decades, not to mention infinite game library access compared to this meager list, not to mention further the occasional fan-translated gem that we'd never get otherwise.
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Get ready to blow $300 on this just like last time because scalpers are going to pick them up in the 10s. I'd start up a SNES Mini budget now.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Dyhalto
Apart from the very valid "not supporting developers" argument, I don't see a reason to not just emulate :\ These mini-consoles seem gimmicky considering that we've had superior oldschool gaming capability for literally decades, not to mention infinite game library access compared to this meager list, not to mention further the occasional fan-translated gem that we'd never get otherwise.

The obvious simple solution is for Nintendo to just stop dicking around and start a subscription site for ROMs of their old games...or just set something up with GOG, who's already set up for paywalls for companies that still want money for their old stuff.

EDIT: Also, I just bought ANOTHER copy of Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger (packaged for PSOne as Final Fantasy Anthology...which I have...on my shelf...I'm looking at it right, the fuck, now.) on PS3, so I'm not quite so enthusiastic, either.
They already have the Virtual Console.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Just found out how to put roms on my cellphone. With a PS4 controller in hand, I am set. Who needs a tv, even!

Currently playing the FF7 NES rom hack.
Nintendo is in total shock that people would ever want their products that aren't a DS handheld. That's my only explanation for these really dumb shortages and limited runs.

Starfox 2 is really interesting though.
author=Darken
Apart from the very valid "not supporting developers" argument, I don't see a reason to not just emulate

I think the reason (well, one reason out of several) is simple; the average person has a more comfortable and accessible gaming experience from their console, which is most likely located in the most comfortable room in their house.

And I'm saying this as someone like most people here who do use emulators and plays games on my computer; when it comes down to it, my giant ass TV encased by my entertainment center in my comfortable ass living room, flanked by big fluffy couches beats my tiny laptop or my desktop in my significantly less comfortable bedroom/office.

Whether it's gaming, watching a sports game, or Netflix and chill, my (and most peoples) living room is likely to be the most comfortable room in the house with the biggest screen. That's who they're selling to and that's who's buying.
There's value in a plug in play, streamlined experience that just works. A friend of mine got something like a retropie or something and half the time was setting it up and getting the damn thing to work. Plus a pre-curated list of games helps with analysis paralysis and not picking fantastic games like Super Monkey Adventure (Famicom game, but translate to appropriate SNES game at your leisure)

Anyways it was officially announced in Japan too. For the curious here's the game loadout w/ differences:

On Both
Contra III: The Alien Wars
Donkey Kong Country
Final Fantasy III (this is "Final Fantasy VI" via the Japanese release numbering, the one with Locke, Celes, Kefka)
F-ZERO
Kirby Super Star
The Legend of Zelda™: A Link to the Past
Mega Man X
Secret of Mana
Star Fox
Star Fox 2 (Never before released)
Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Super Mario Kart
Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Super Mario World
Super Metroid
Yoshi's Island

NA Exclusive Games (possibly EU too?)
Earthbound
Kirby's Dream Course
Street Fighter II Turbo
Super Castlevania IV
Super Punch-Out

Japan Exclusive Games
Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem
Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Super Street Fighter II
Super Soccer
Tetris Attack
In 2017, it's very easy to connect your tiny ass laptop to your TV. In fact, if you consider yourself a grown adult, you should have no trouble learning how on your own.
But I get what you're saying. Some people struggle with just going back and forth between TV, Blu-Ray and Netflix.
author=Dyhalto
In 2017, it's very easy to connect your tiny ass laptop to your TV. In fact, if you consider yourself a grown adult, you should have no trouble learning how on your own.

Don't underestimate how computer illiterate many people are.

Besides, I am computer literate and it's still easier for me to just hook up a console to my TV and boot up Netflix or put a disk in and play it with absolutely no setup required, or extra controllers USB'd to my laptop, or whatever at all.

Steam is the only real thing that makes it almost as simple as consoles, but emulators? ROMS? For the average person, especially with kids; fuck that.

And this argument only applies to ROMs or other low intensity games; most people don't have the fucks to give to spend money or time on a gaming rig (and keep up with it) for higher end games, and would much rather just have a console, something they can just buy and be good with it until the next one comes out. Can't say I blame them; I'm also a PC gamer and still have consoles.

I still have the classic ass big box gray PS1 I got when I was 12 (relevant info: I'm almost 30), and I can pop any PS1 game in there and play it, whenever I want, forever (and with the older, more durable systems, perhaps literally forever). Can't do that with PC.

You can't beat that convenience.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I guess I'll have to stick to emulating the English translation of Secret of Mana 2 (Seiken Densetsu 3)

But seriously there's a lot of stuff missing here.

Super Mario All Stars + World
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Final Fantasy 2 (or 4 if you played on PS)
Chrono Trigger
Ys 3
Ys 4
Ys 5
Secret of Evermore

author=Feldschlacht IV
Don't underestimate how computer illiterate many people are.

See, there's computer illiteracy and there's laziness. The ability to hook up a computer to a TV today isn't much harder than being able to hook up a VCR to a TV twenty years ago. Even if you struggle on your own, you should at least know a guy.

Also, don't forget that we're only talking SNES emulation vs the Mini. Don't bring modern consoles into the dialogue. I know they don't emulate worth a damn. N64 and PS2 games are still fritzy.

But yeah, we'll have to agree to disagree. I have a PC tower hooked up to a TV from which I do everything, be it oldschool gaming or watching movies/TV/anime. I have gigantic libraries of everything, readily accessible and organized for mine or any guest's taste, and the keyboard, mouse and gamepads are located in practical places because I planned my setup like a proper individual ought to.
That, to me, is convenience.
Pages: first 12 next last