PHOTOBUCKET, WHAT...??

Pages: 1
So, I just noticed this today with my avatar's image being not the usual "Cannot find image" thing (for whatever reason) and being something else entirely. And so I went to my site, just to check some things and noticed...a lot of my images are just not available anymore. They're THERE, but they're not there. Turns out Photobucket is being even MORE crappier than usual...

Like seriously??? Now you're going to make people PAY to show images on sites now? Like...normally I wouldn't even bother bringing up topics like this at all, but this is just...wtf. I'm just wondering if anyone else that uses the site still has noticed this at all with images and the like.

Worst part is, it's not even all images, it's just most of them, and pretty random at that. Like what??? Why??? Yes, I realize I could probably move anything that I use on Photobucket to elsewhere and whatnot, but christ the coding fixing I'll have to do for each of my site's pages.... Best part is, they pretty much block the image out with that message, so even if you WANTED to view it and save it, NOPE! It's blocked behind a paywall now!!!
Yeah, I noticed this yesterday. It's fucking terrible. I had to go back and reupload several images for gamepages onto an old imgur account that's been hibernating forever. There are still a lot of images that appeared on blogs and whatnot that I don't have the time or patience to fix, so anyone that's digging through the archives of some of my games is going to run into that tacky Photobucket picture.

I guess adblock and better image hosting services have depleted Photobucket's revenue stream and now they have to extort people who have been using their service out of laziness for years in order to stay afloat for another year or two.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Photobucket's always been a really shitty, buggy, inefficient site, and now they're making their members actually pay for their incompetence! Wow! Time to find a new image host.
I just tried to link to a buddy on Discord something from my Photobucket, didn't have that image, I could view it and save it (I don't know if I can save any images that have that tacky image on it or not...probably not...), and it still gives that image. That's just sad...

Maybe if they didn't riddle their sites with ads left and right, things would be better and people wouldn't have to worry about AdBlock (except I'd still use it anyways because I don't trust any ads...). >___>;
can't you just upload to your locker here
I mean, that's fine for here (if you have the time and patience to do that), but for other places like blogs and sites that's elsewhere, it's just going to completely fawk thing up for them. Like I know my site has a good 80% or so of the images that are just blocked behind this stupid paywall. >_>;
pianotm
I've never used Photobucket. Back in the 90s, I was always told I should upload my images to Photobucket because reasons. So I joined, and it was a terrible site! I mean, god-awful. It drove my anti-virus programs bat-shit, it ran like shit, and half the time, images timed out because the html was so incompetent. I have a 16 gig computer and it cannot run Photobucket, the site is so terrible. If anything, it's gotten worse, since the 90s. I don't understands why it hasn't been consigned to the depths of hell years ago.
I tend to use locker for must-have-forever files and imgur for ones I want to last a decent amount of time (helps that you can have multiple accounts there, so you can get around the image limit easily enough with different emails).
breaking news, photobucket is a shitty image hosting service
Your locker is the best solution to your problem.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Alternately, just use imgur or one of the myriad non-terrible free hosting sites. You should not be using Photobucket in TYOOL 2017.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Photobucket is so awful, stop using it
Oh, I haven't used it in forever. I just haven't moved any images to anywhere else because most of the other sites were kinda crap. I mean, I PROBABLY could host all the images on my site's server, but I don't know if they'd like that very well (plus 250 MB storage space is kinda crap). Also, Imgur totally doesn't allow for third-party hosting. It states it in their Terms.
pianotm
I'll take "Terms and conditions that if the company ever enforced, they'd go out of business" for $1000!
...I tried to come up with something fancy for that $1000 question, but I ain't got nothing. I ain't clever enough for things like that. T-T

I mean, I've heard people talk about how some sites got blocked by Imgur because of them using them as their main image site and embedding things from there, so I dunno man. I dunno. Plus I'm sure that Imgur wouldn't like quite a few of the things that I'd be tossing up there. *Thinks*

...No, it's nothing like THAT, get it out of yer head, ya perverts!
pianotm
Well, blocking sites is Imgur's only real recourse. They COULD ban people for violating, but then they'd have to ban like 2/3rds of their user base, and that's a disaster waiting to happen if they ever try it.

EDIT: I'm just imagining this internet fairy running around, overworked and out of her mind, "You're banned! And you're banned! And you're banned! And you! I see you! You're banned, too! ..."
True. At least they're not holding images for hostage like a certain other site is right now! But I still have to rule out Imgur for dealing with my site at all, blaaaah.

That's some crazy fai---wait, there's an internet fairy now?! Nature sure has evolved its lifeforms!
Oh really, it legit blocks you from even viweing and downloading your own images?

They're holding our own goddamn images HOSTAGE?

......I wish I was a multi-millionaire and could afford to file a class-action lawsuit on principle alone. Because this is disgusting.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I am pretty sure that, at least in US law, they are allowed to do whatever they want with your images in terms of hosting, as they are providing the infrastructure.
Pages: 1