NET NEUTRALITY DAY OF ACTION

Pages: first 1234 next last

Net Neutrality: ISPs ought to deliver all online content to consumers in the same way, without granting preferential treatment to any particular content.

Illustration: Bakhtiar Zein/Alamy

http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/telecom/internet/does-net-neutrality-help-or-harm-innovation
On 18 May 2017, the Federal Communications Commission voted in favor of a proposal by Chairman Ajit Pai to review existing rules around net neutrality. Specifically, the proposal would eliminate Title II of the Communications Act, which classifies Internet service providers as common carriers. By classifying ISPs as common carriers, Title II subjects ISPs to rules such as those that prohibit carriers from speeding up or slowing down specific content on their networks. The 2-1 vote begins the process required to change that classification, and also triggers a 90-day review that includes a public comment period. Later this year, commissioners will cast their final votes. The proposal's ultimate goal is to relax regulations that Pai says have prohibited ISPs from charging extra for delivering content that requires more bandwidth. It was largely based on an economic argument that such restrictions have hindered investment across the telecom industry. Opponents have said that removing regulations would harm content producers such as Netflix and Google, and small businesses.

There's also a lot of concern for the little guys—small content producers who may not be able to afford the rates ISPs will charge for faster delivery. Critics fear that booting net neutrality will create a “two-tiered” Internet wherein wealthy companies pay for content to be delivered at high speeds, while content from startups or small web publishers languishes in the slow lane.

RMN falls squarely in the latter. Welcome to the slow lane, RMN!

ISPs have a near-monopoly in the areas they operate. ISPs have little incentive to upgrade infrastructure. Any extra funds generated by violating Net Neutrality will likely end up in shareholders hands, and not back into the ISP company's coffers even if they wanted to use it to improve services (shareholders are the only stakeholders in a corporation that matter anymore. This transition happened in the late-80s and 90s).

In Economides' case, he tried to figure out whether keeping or ditching net neutrality would bring us closer to total surplus, by factoring in the profits of ISPs, the profits of content producers, and the benefits to consumers. In the end, he found that sticking to net neutrality “tends to maximize total surplus” for society.

https://medium.com/free-press/the-fcc-s-net-neutrality-order-protects-internet-freedom-by-restoring-the-law-9092f9f5a99f
First and foremost, the restoration of Title II is critical. That's because it also restores Internet users' legal rights to (1) access broadband services and (2) use those broadband services to communicate with the world, free from undue ISP interference.
It's crucial that we now have protections back in place, and back on solid legal authority, to keep ISPs from shutting down content, charging extra tolls to access certain kinds of websites or apps, and creating slow lanes for those who cannot pay those tolls.

July 12th is the Day of Action for Net Neutrality
https://www.battleforthenet.com/july12/
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Cool, I was wondering whether y'all were gonna get involved.
author=Sooz
Cool, I was wondering whether y'all were gonna get involved.
Every other day in my life can be characterized as a Day of Inaction
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
Gotta save up that energy! :V
I have reposted that link on every forum I frequent, as well as every Discord server I hang out on.
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
This is some serious shit yo.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
It'll be like "welcome back to the days of dial-up."
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Won't this only effect ISPs from the USA?
oh goodie, remember our old 'friends' sopa and pipa? Good times
Sooz
author=kory_toombs
Won't this only effect ISPs from the USA?

Yes, but I understand that it would have secondary effects on the rest of the world since our empire hasn't finished the process of crumbling yet.
It also sets a precedent that the rest of the world could use as an excuse to follow suit. Say what you will about America, a lot of governments around the world watch and follow in it's footsteps which is why those of us who aren't American worry about the state of the country and who is leading her. Because we know it will have repercussions on our own countries, the governments who lead them and the influences they will follow in the future.

If America doesn't stop this, then it won't be long before other countries start doing the same, especially since some of those big name companies who would profit from it are international and would try to push for it too.
Man, it feels like every year around this time that I’ve had to sign one of those petitions to stop them from destroying net neutrality but they still keep on trying to push it through despite an overwhelming majority of people telling them to straight up f**k off. Although this time it actually might happen now.

I live in Canada, so this isn’t going to affect me, but Liberty does have a point that if the US gets rid of its own net neutrality laws that other countries could also follow suit as well in the future, which would be totally disastrous for all of us in the long run. I really just don’t understand why this current regime that has already done so much to p*ss so many people off that they now wanna go along and do something as stupid as this at this time. Makes no god damn sense other than "for reasons".

Whatever the Republicans master plan is about creating new jobs and helping out the middle class, I…just don’t really see it here with moves like this.

Oh well. I guess you guys can always move to Canada if things continue to go down south there. We have plenty of room!

(...Or you could always go to Australia, if you like getting bitten by poisonous things.)
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

author=Addit
Oh well. I guess you guys can always move to Canada if things continue to go down south there. We have plenty of room!

(...Or you could always go to Australia, if you like getting bitten by poisonous things.)

Forget Canada and Australia, Taiwan is the place for you!
(If you want to be an English teacher that is.)
Sooz
author=Addit
Man, it feels like every year around this time that I’ve had to sign one of those petitions to stop them from destroying net neutrality but they still keep on trying to push it through despite an overwhelming majority of people telling them to straight up f**k off. Although this time it actually might happen now.

. . . .

Whatever the Republicans master plan is about creating new jobs and helping out the middle class, I…just don’t really see it here with moves like this.

TBH a lot of it isn't really about jaerbs or the will of the people, it's solely that a bunch of the current Rs in power have this ideology that Business Good, Government Bad, and that anything limiting businesses from doing whatever the fuck they want is the cause of all of America's problems. Because we have shitty history classes that don't sufficiently cover what it was like before regulations started happening.
Unregulated business isn't capitalism, its cronyism and stagnation and corruption. How do people not get this by now?
Also, weren't most of those people now in power around when such things were veto'd out because they were shown to be problematic?

Wait, does this mean that we're all suffering this bullshit because some old folk in power have a massive nostalgia boner about 'the good old days'? Fuck.
author=Liberty
Also, weren't most of those people now in power around when such things were veto'd out because they were shown to be problematic?

Wait, does this mean that we're all suffering this bullshit because some old folk in power have a massive nostalgia boner about 'the good old days'? Fuck.
Yes. Plus, they are shameless about being paid-for politicians. "Net Neutrality is bad because Comcast told me to say it is bad and paid me $117,531 to say it"
Sooz
author=Liberty

Did you miss the current President's campaign slogan?
Canada has at least been moving in the right direction for this stuff. A while back our telecoms were pushing their own streaming services to compete with Netflix. One of their attacks was to abuse the bandwidth caps the majority of their users have: Any bandwidth spent on your ISPs streaming service like Showmi wouldn't count towards the user's bandwidth cap. Thankfully the CRTC iirc put a stop to that. It isn't quite the same as net neutrality but it stems from the same shit.

author=Addit

The Republican's real master plan is really simple! It's:

- More money for us

- Fuck you
Careful, guys. If you say Beetlejuice one more time, this thread will ignite into another Left vs Right conflagration.
Pages: first 1234 next last