[RM2K3] HOW CAN I CREATE A CRAFTING SYSTEM

Pages: 1
in immortal`s path(the game i am working on) i have 4 characters and one of them is going to gain runecrafting at a certain point in the game in order to create good equipment. what is the best way to do that?
i am going to check it out. i had no idea where to look for a solution so i had to ask here.
That's okay. I do have a few tips/things to think about:
- Make a list of what is possible to be created. Make sure that's ALL you can make. Honestly, the smaller the list the better.
- There's a few ways to do this. Depending on whether you have a few items or a lot will determine how much trouble it will be.
- There's the shop keeper type, where you talk to an NPC and they hold the event. This makes it so that you can't always craft - you have to find that shop keeper first.
- There's the menu command. You could do this two ways - either making a custom menu system that opens before the main menu does, or having a command in the characters' skill list that turns a switch on/calls an event.
- There's button binding, where you have the command set to pop up when you press a specific button.

Consider which way you want it to be accessed. This will determine how detailed it will end up being. (For example, the easiest option is the NPC - the event will run only when you talk to the NPC, which makes it a bit easier to set up.)
The methods described above are pretty complicated. If you need a slick looking menu along with a versatile crafting system, that would be the way to go.

A simple way of doing this would be Show Choice, which gives a list of things you can craft. When you pick one of those choices there will be conditional branches inside checking if you are holding the required items. It checks the first item, and if you have that item, the code then goes on to another branch checking for another item. If you have both items, insert the code to acquire the new item and remove the items used up in the merge.

So as an example:

Add a show choice for each possible item to craft and copy the code. Quick and dirty, but functional.
my intention is to make one character activate an ability in order to craft. ingredients is gained from a shop.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Sounds like it could be a skill that activates a switch, that then activates a Common Event?
Waxius
"Someday I'll finish my game... someday.."
author=Marrend
Sounds like it could be a skill that activates a switch, that then activates a Common Event?

^^This is the way to go.. and also use the branching logic Link_2112 mentioned in a common event.

So when player uses the ability.. show choices.

For example:
Craft Item?
Choice 1 - Weapons
Choice 2 - Armor
Choice 3 - Accessory

If choice 1 is selected?
Choice 1 - Craft Dagger
Choice 2 - Craft Sword
Choice 3 - Craft Katana
Choice 4 - MORE

etc.

You can even have choices in two different colors. Gray to indicated that you DON'T have the required materials and another color to show that you DO.

Liberty's suggestion of having a big list of all the items you which to craft is a really good idea. It is a pain to go back to add more choices, and feel like you have to revamp the whole thing.

If you need help implementing the feature, post your questions here, or feel free to send me a PM.
Marrend
What do you mean by "not supported by RPG Maker 2003"? Is it some kind of error message you're getting? Are you not seeing the event-commands that we're talking about?

*grasping at straws, attempting to understand the meaning behind the post*
i opened rpg maker 2003 to check if the suggestion was possible but there is no option to tie an ability to a specific event. i was very messed up when i wrote the last post because i have a concussion which i keep worsening by scratching my head.
Marrend
Well, it's definitely roundabout, but, it's possible to tie a skill to a Common Event.

Like I said earlier, the skill, itself, would be a "Switch" skill. So, all it does is activate a switch. The idea here is that there's a Common Event that's a parallel process, and is triggered when that switch is active/on. That Common Event can be your entire crafting system, or maybe just a "main menu" that ultimately calls other Common Events that make up the system.

It was mentioned before, but, it depends how complex you want to be. Just be sure to turn off the switch when everything is said and done!
the problem is that i can not choose what event to tie it into. there is however a plugin that enables ruby script so i could possibly use that if there is a fitting script around.
You can. In the database there's a tab called Common Event. Each slot is basically like an event page, except they can be called from anywhere in the game, not just one single map, as long as you have things set up to call them. In this case, set the Common Event as a Parallel Process, and make sure it needs a switch to call it.

You can see that the switch is set to Guard 1, and parallel process is next to that.

Then go to the Skill tab and change the skill type to Switch, and bind it to that same switch. Now, when you use that skill in battle, it will turn on the switch and that will pull up the common event and make it work. Don't forget to set the skill to be applicable in battle or the field, whichever you want it to trigger in.

Pages: 1